Chit Chat

Favorite Movies

So my H has been teasing me lately because there are so many classic/ widely viewed movies that I have never seen. (Star Wars, Independence Day, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Dr. Zhivago, Indiana Jones, Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes, etc)

So help me create a list of must watch movies. What are your favorites? Any classics that shouldnt be missed?

Help a girl out!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Favorite Movies

• Steel Magnolias is good! My favorite movie is Breakfast at Tiffany's, but I love Audrey Hepburn. Sabrina and Roman Holiday are really good too. 

Otherwise, I'm not much a movie buff. I'd much rather watch TV. Short attention span I guess. FI hates it haha. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My must watch movies list:

Lady Jane (early Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes YES PLEASE)
    Casablanca
    The Princess Bride
    The Man from Snowy River
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Ok so, some of these are newer, but I feel that they merit some recognition :)

Legends of the Fall

Inglourious Bastards

Pulp Fiction

DJango Unchained (I'm a Tarantino fan apparently)

The Vacation movies.  All of them. I hadn't seen Christmas Vacation up until a few years ago.

Thelma and Louise

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (these are so random... I apologize)

The Quick and The Dead

I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of them right now!

• You've Got Mail - my go to sick day movie

• You've Got Mail - my go to sick day movie

I have at least seen this one. But none of the ones @plainjane0415 listed
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Shadowlands, because the proposal scene is amazing and the only thing that equals it is the wedding night.
  • My favorites are Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias, The Shawshank Redemption, Sliding Doors, and Gone in 60 Seconds. And anything 80s Brat Pack related or Jay and Silent Bob related. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • KatWAG said:
    You've Got Mail - my go to sick day movie

I have at least seen this one. But none of the ones @plainjane0415 listed
    Legends of the Fall will make you cry your face off... But oh my goodness it's so good.
  • AddieCake said:
    My favorites are Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias, The Shawshank Redemption, Sliding Doors, and Gone in 60 Seconds. And anything 80s Brat Pack related or Jay and Silent Bob related. 
    @addiecake I read the book and loved it. I am so scared to watch the movie because I have heard it so different.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • AddieCake said:
    My favorites are Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias, The Shawshank Redemption, Sliding Doors, and Gone in 60 Seconds. And anything 80s Brat Pack related or Jay and Silent Bob related. 

I need to watch this one.  That's one of my dad's favorites.
  • Ooooh, moviessss, yes.

You NEED to see Steel Magnolias, that's one of my all-time favorites. It's a tear jerker & a total chick flick, but it's definitely something I will watch literally any time it's on. I think it's on Netflix. 

The Green Mile is another tear jerker, but it's awesome. Probably my favorite movie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• FI would kill me if he knew I was blabbing this- but I recently got him into Divergent and the Hunger Games.

He watched the original Hunger Games with me last week, and made me rent the Catching Fire two days later.  Now, he's waiting until March 6th, when Mockingjay comes On Demand.

And this morning, I guess there was a trailer for the second Divergent movie on TV- he was hooting and hollering from the living room that it's coming out on March 20th.

A grown man excited about YA movies- I love it, lol.  But yeah, those are interesting movies- you might like them :)
  • Christmas Vacation
    How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    The Princess Bride

Also, not sure I'd label it as a classic but, I seriously love the movie Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. I have seen it a thousand times and still love watching it.

• Barefoot in the Park is one of my favorite movies and I second PPs suggestion of Steel Magnolias, it's a great movie.

• Fried Green Tomatoes is so good!  (I've read the book and own the movie). 

We watched Shawshank Redemption last night.  If you've never seen it, it's definitely worth a watch. 

• Couggal12 said:
    Christmas Vacation
    The Princess Bride

Also, not sure I'd label it as a classic but, I seriously love the movie Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. I have seen it a thousand times and still love watching it.

Christina Applegate is so hot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• khugs15 said:
    Couggal12 said:
    Christmas Vacation
    The Princess Bride

Christina Applegate is so hot.
    I know, I love her! 

• Secondary list...

Clueless

The Notebook

Friday (Just the first one, I personally didn't care for the other ones)

The Help

Skyfall

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

The Devil Wears Prada (this is my go to feel good movie)

Scream (yea I'm going there...)

I'm sure I'll think of more.

• Breakfast at Tiffany's 
    An Affair to Remember 
    Steel Magnolias 
    As Good As It Gets 
    It's Complicated 
    Something's Gotta Give 
    Forest Gump 
    Goodfellas
    Clueless 
    Dazed & Confused 
    Boyz N the Hood
    The Princess Bride
    Dirty Dancing 
    When Harry Met Sally 
    The Money Pit (this movie kills me EVERY TIME)
    Say Anything 
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 
    The Departed 
    Inglorious Basterds
    Walk The Line
    Juno 

I could keep going...
  • FI would kill me if he knew I was blabbing this- but I recently got him into Divergent and the Hunger Games.

He watched the original Hunger Games with me last week, and made me rent the Catching Fire two days later.  Now, he's waiting until March 6th, when Mockingjay comes On Demand.

And this morning, I guess there was a trailer for the second Divergent movie on TV- he was hooting and hollering from the living room that it's coming out on March 20th.

A grown man excited about YA movies- I love it, lol.  But yeah, those are interesting movies- you might like them :)
    Its out now, but it cost $10.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you're into period pieces, the mid 90's Pride & Prejudice mini-series with Colin Firth is amazing
  • So I started to read The Princess Bride and thought the book was so stupid I couldnt finish it.

Am I the only one who hates this book (thus why I wont see the movie)? Do I need to turn in my ovaries?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • falsarafalsara member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    I second most of the PPS suggestions.

Sound of Music - absolute classic, and one of my mom's faves, Young Julie Andrews.

Funny Face- Hepburn no need to say more

Midnight Cowboy

I'm sure There are more. But can't think of them right now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Breakfast at Tiffany's 
    An Affair to Remember 
    Steel Magnolias 
    As Good As It Gets 
    It's Complicated 
    Something's Gotta Give 
    Forest Gump 
    Goodfellas
    Clueless 
    Dazed & Confused 
    Boyz N the Hood
    The Princess Bride
    Dirty Dancing 
    When Harry Met Sally 
    The Money Pit (this movie kills me EVERY TIME)
    Say Anything 
    The Departed 
    Inglorious Basterds
    Walk The Line
    Juno 

I could keep going...

Totally forgot about those 3.  Those are definite must watch-es?  Grammar?
  • If you're into period pieces, the mid 90's Pride & Prejudice mini-series with Colin Firth is amazing
    Also, Duchess with Keira Knightley is very good, not critically acclaimed or anything but very good.
  • Okay. Here is my list so far, with a few of my own tossed in:

Say Anything, Boyz N the Hood, Fried Green Tomatoes, Legends of the Fall, Thelma and Louise, The Money Pit, Up, Searching for Sugar Man, Frozen, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Steel Magnolias, Pulp Fiction,

FWIW, I have seen Dirty Dancing, Clueless and Shawshank.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

So I started to read The Princess Bride and thought the book was so stupid I couldnt finish it.

Am I the only one who hates this book (thus why I wont see the movie)? Do I need to turn in my ovaries?

I'd still give the movie a try. I've read the book, and honestly think that the movie has the stronger writing. The movies framing device works better, there isn't the weird stuff about the omitted paragraphs and it has fucking Cary Elwes. It is silly, but not quite as out there as the book.

Anniversary
  • Two favorite movies, though not sure I would consider them classics: 10 Things I hate About You and True Romance.
  • In no particular order are some of my favourite movies and movies that I think are classics:
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
    Schinlder's List
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Dead Poets Society
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Pretty Woman
    All the Monty Python movies
    Dumb and Dumber
    City Lights
    Into the Wild
    Crash
    Boys Don't Cry
    Mean Creek
    The Fountain
    Must Love Dogs
    Father of the Bride
    Dan in Real Life
    Dirty Dancing
    Grease
    Milk
    The King's Speech
    The Departed
    Titanic
    Forrest Gump
    i am sam
    Transamerica
    The Wizard of Oz
    The Godfather
    Singin' in the Rain  
    Jaws
    Rocky
    Saving Private Ryan
    Gladiator
    American History X
    Cast Away
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Goodfellas
    The Green Mile
    Edward Scissor Hands
    Scarface
    Full Metal Jacket
    Platoon
    Gone With the Wind
    Psycho
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Ben-Hur
    Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    West Side Story
    Fantasia
    The Deer Hunter
    Pan's Labyrinth
    December Boys
    The Color Purple
    The Soloist
    Stand By Me
    The Princess Bride
    Good Will Hunting
    Braveheart 
    Gandhi
    Back to the Future
    Brokeback Mountain
    As Good as It Gets
    Million Dollar Baby
    Die Hard
    Saving Private Ryan
  • afox007 said:
    Two favorite movies, though not sure I would consider them classics: 10 Things I hate About You and True Romance.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards