Options

Favorite Movies

Re: Favorite Movies

• Options
    @doeydo I love that Dumb and Dumber made your list
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

So I started to read The Princess Bride and thought the book was so stupid I couldnt finish it.

Am I the only one who hates this book (thus why I wont see the movie)? Do I need to turn in my ovaries?

I didn't like the book, but I love the movie.

My picks:

Empire Strikes Back (if you only want to see one SW movie)

Jurassic Park

Princess Bride

Clueless

The Sound of Music

Pitch Perfect

Robin Hoods: Men In Tights (guilty pleasure)

Airplane!

• Options
    COMING TO AMERICA. Hands down favorite movie of all time.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

I'm not a huge movie person but I love anything Wes Anderson. Moonrise Kingdom is my favorite of his and Fantastic Mr. Fox is a pretty close second. I'm a huge fan of 80s movies but I just hate sitting through a whole movie. I lose interest by like halfway through. Anything over two hours gets a big fat nope from me.

• Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Lots and lots of good stuff here. Seriously, listen to these ladies!

And I will just add Empire Records (well, and Serenity, but you really must watch all of Firefly first. I mean, I would start that tonight.).

Wait, has Mean Girls not been mentioned yet?!
  • Options
    @Kahlyla I forgot about Empire Records. I used to know that whole movie line-by-line. My sister and I watched it way too much when we were younger.
  • Options
    Everyone that loves Breakfast at Tiffany's should see How to Steal a Million, with Audrey and Peter O'Toole. It's a romantic heist movie that is just soooo charming.

My favorites are:
    My Favorite Wife
    The Awful Truth
    Wages of Fear (which is this AMAZING French thriller)
    A Room with a View
    Sense & Sensibility
    Clueless
    Pitch Perfect

I wouldn't call it a "Favorite" because it's depressing, but it's one of the best movies I've ever seen in Children of Men. 

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    My must watch movies list:

Lady Jane (early Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes YES PLEASE)
    Casablanca
    The Princess Bride
    The Man from Snowy River
    WAT.

*ahem*

Princess Bride is fantastic. 

I think it's worth noting, however, that I am rather in your boat. FI has been slowly introducing me to his favorite movies.

The man had two hundred favorite movies when we met two years ago, and he adds 30 or so each year. Getting him little presents is easy, but we will never get me caught up with his neverending list.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Also, anything directed by David Fincher.

Fight Club, The Social Network, SE7EN, & Gone Girl are some more of my top faves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    FI likes the Princess Bride way more than I do - it's totally not an ovary issue, haha. I like it more for the nostalgia factor than for its merits as an actual movie, I think. FI says the same thing about Labyrinth, which I LOVE and he doesn't really get so much.

I'm into classics, so I came to recommend Bringing Up Baby, Roman Holiday, Sabrina, and An Affair to Remember. And anything Gregory Peck ever did.

FI's all-time favourite is The Big Lebowski, and it is one of my favourites now too. So dumb. So brilliantly directed. There's a theatre in our city that occasionally plays it and encourages everyone to come in bathrobes and they serve White Russians.

I'm kinda into foreign films too. I love Almodovar's stuff - Volver, Bad Education, All About My Mother- and stuff like Y tu mama tambien, Sin Nombre and Amores Perros. I think they're classics in their own right for sure, especially Amores Perros, which is hard to watch but SO GOOD. Devastating, but good.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Rain Man, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Casablanca, Singin in the Rain, Seven Year Itch
  • Options
    I liked both the Princess Bride movie and book, but I agree, it's one of the few cases where the movie actually works better. Every character in it is perfection. 

I also have to echo Shawshank Redemption, FI made me watch it last year and it was phenomenal. 

I can't come up with a huge list off of the top of my head but one movie I watched recently that was fantastic was Whiplash. Easily the best new movie I've seen in years.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mrsk616mrsk616 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    gangster squad
    lawless
    inglorious bastards
    public enemies
    fury
    zero dark thirty
    (im starting to notice a theme here) 
    anything with christian bale
    law abiding citizen
    the gamer
    the ugly truth 
    sweet home Alabama
    killers
    all the fast and furious movies especially 5 and 6. 
    avengers
    million ways to die in the west

eta: not all christian bale as i do not like american pyscho, and to fix me typing Christine instead of Christian

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    My must watch movies list:

Lady Jane (early Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes YES PLEASE)
    Casablanca
    The Princess Bride
    The Man from Snowy River
    WAT.

I know!!!! Almost nobody I know has seen this movie and it is just incredible. Did I mention that Patrick Stewart is also in it?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    beethery said:
    YES. How could I forget this?? Trading Places too. 
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    GONE WITH THE WIND
    Steel Magnolias
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Pretty Woman
    Christmas Story
    The Fugitive
    Clear and Present Danger
    Cinderella Man
    Braveheart
    Clueless
    Erin Brokovich 
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
    Groundhog Day
    The Help
    When Harry Met Sally (love this movie)
    Overboard,
    The American President, Goodfellas (<3)
    Office space
    Must Love Dogs
    Father of the bride
    Mean Girls
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Forest Gump
    LITTLE WOMEN (love love love this movie)
    Shawshank Redemptiion
    As Good As It Gets
    Ocean's Eleven
    The Family Stone 
    The Secret of Nymhh
    A perfect Murder
    The Neverending Story
    The Game
    Mona Lisa Smile
    Walk the Line
    Ray
    Under the Tuscan Sun 
    Juno
    Cast Away
    Terms of Endearment

ETF format
  • Options
    @Doeydo: I loved The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
  • Options
    My favorite movie ever is Back to the Future II so I would say that! Adventures in Babysitting, Almost Famous, Ferris Bueller, My Best Friend's Wedding..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lonesome Dove (favorite book and movie...or miniseries, if we're being technical). Hands down thee best epic story about adventure, love, friendship. Oh! I want to cry just thinking about it. And, it's where Gus got his name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    afox007 said:
    Two favorite movies, though not sure I would consider them classics: 10 Things I hate About You and True Romance.
    I watched 10 Things I hate About You on a daily basis in 7th grade. Love that movie. Other than that:

Princess Bride
    The Neverending Story
    Back to the Future I and II
    The Breakfast Club
    Sixteen Candles
    Dirty Dancing
    Fargo
    Pulp Fiction
    Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, and 2001: A Space Oddysey (and anything else Kubrick)
    The Shawshank Redemption

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    beethery said:
    YES! I forgot about that movie! Good one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I forgot Little Women too. Omg, do I love that movie. 
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

So I started to read The Princess Bride and thought the book was so stupid I couldnt finish it.

Am I the only one who hates this book (thus why I wont see the movie)? Do I need to turn in my ovaries?

I hate the movie. Hearing people quote it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

• Options
    KatWAG said:

The only reason I would ever consider seeing it is because it has Saul from Homeland and I love him. (and his beard.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The Fall (with Lee Pace hhhnnnnngggggg)
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Did anyone say Jurassic Park?  

That's my "black hole" movie- I get sucked into watching it no matter what my plans may have been, lol
  • Options
    Did anyone say Jurassic Park?  

That's my "black hole" movie- I get sucked into watching it no matter what my plans may have been, lol

Jurassic Park has some sort of hypnotic control over me. If I'm flipping through channels and it's on, I have to watch it! Only the first one though.

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:

The only reason I would ever consider seeing it is because it has Saul from Homeland and I love him. (and his beard.)
    I love Cary Elwes but he can't save the movie for me. Maybe Saul from Homeland can do it for you though. Pretty much everyone I know loves it, I guess I just don't get it. 

• Options
    KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:

I love Cary Elwes but he can't save the movie for me. Maybe Saul from Homeland can do it for you though. Pretty much everyone I know loves it, I guess I just don't get it. 
    I think that if I had not watched it so many times as a kid (if I had not seen it until adulthood), I probably would not like it either. I think that it's one of those movies you have to watch as a kid first to appreciate it. I have a co-worker who recently watched it for the first time, and she thought it was awful.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards