Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair color woes.

I've used box hair dyes for about 3 years (whoops, bad. I know), most of which were dark brown or auburn. I have used 3 applications of black hair dye since June 2014, but have not colored my hair since becoming engaged in October. I know black dyes will take a few visits to strip, but for my October 2015 wedding, I'd like to go back (as close as possible) to my natural medium brown hair color. This week, I visited an organic hair salon to start working on my color. After three hours and multiple color applications, my hair looks no different than it did prior.  Ultimately, the colorist told me that she could not strip the black from my hair. I'm hoping this was because the dye was organic, and thus, not as effective as traditional hair dyes. The colorist told me that the only way to eliminate the black would be to let my hair grow out and cut off the black ends. My hair is currently pretty short, so this approach is not desirable. 

TL;DR, I'm headstrong and dumb and didn't listen when everyone told me not to use box dye. Now I want to go from black to brown for my wedding. Organic hair salon couldn't help me. If I were to visit a traditional hair salon, do you think they'd be able to strip the color from my hair?

Re: Hair color woes.

• Yes, I have a friend who goes from black to auburn to black to multi colored. Shortly before our wedding she had her had where the it was blond faded into a bright red with black tips. And I think there was some orange too in it. Shortly before our wedding she colored (herself) to a beautiful dark auburn color and there were not traces of any of the other prior colors. And her hair didn't look fried either.  Now instead trying an organic salon maybe try going to an edgier salon that does funky hair colors and styles, they might have more experience with covering up black hair. See if you can stop in for a quick 5 minute consultation before making an appointment and putting your hair through any further treatments thought to make sure they feel (and you feel) comfortable that they can do what you are looking for.
  • The color has to be lifted, and organics aren't going to do it. It's chemical time. Any salon should be able to do this.
  • @erikan73 @ohannabelle Thanks so much, ladies! Time for a change! :)
  • What the other ladies said. My niece frequently goes from bleach blonde to black and back again, but it takes a lot of chemicals.
  • When you go absolutely tell them you went to an organic salon. Some organic dyes can't be mixed  with chemicals and things could quickly go south. If you want your hair to remain fairly healthy I would also suggest lightening it in stages depending on how light medium brown is to you.

• @samm1225 Thanks so much for that tip! I didn't even think of that! 
  • No problem! Good luck!

• Let us know how it goes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards