Honeymoon Discussions

"Road-trip" Honeymoon

Hello all!

FI an I recently scrapped our plans of a tropical beach honeymoon (we have vacationed to various islands over the past several summers and wanted to do something different and memorable for us). We have decided to do a kind of "road-trip" honeymoon. We both live in OH but are getting married in South Lake Tahoe, CA (my entire family is from and lives in this area - mostly Reno - and FI was on board with having the wedding there). So, we decided to buy one way plane tickets to Lake Tahoe, spend four days there, and give ourselves 10-11 days to get back to OH while seeing a few sites/cities along the way.

So - my question is - what does everyone recommend? General road-tripping tips AND sites to see/cities to visit? FI is basically a virgin when it comes to the US west of St. Louis and I have seen/done a lot out West but it was mostly as a child (I have lived in OH since age 10).

Oh, and for reference, the wedding is August 21, 2015 and we will be in Lake Tahoe August 18-August 22 or 23, depending on how we plan this.

Thanks!

Re: "Road-trip" Honeymoon

• FI and I were JUST talking about this ourselves.  We're heading to St. Lucia for the HM, but we would have loved to do a road-trip as well.

I've done many road-trips, and drove cross-country once.  You can't go wrong if you go home via a northern or southern route- both will be beautiful with lots to see and do- but I recommend south.  Try to get on Route 66 at one point, if you can!  

I would hit Vegas, then make your way down to AZ and see the Grand Canyon (while there, see if you can get to Walnut Canyon as well- totally mystical, peaceful place).  From AZ, head through New Mexico and into TX (while there get to a real Texas BBQ and maybe a country bar with some real line dancing!).  After TX, you can go into LA (maybe detour into New Orleans?) or start to head north through OK.  We cut through MO to see the arch and hang in St. Louis one day.  

After that, you're in the home stretch :)   

Whatever you decide, have a great time! 
  • @soontobesyp We did St. Lucia two summers ago and loved it! I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions! We really need to just sit down with a map/Mapquest but I wanted to get some suggestions in mind so we aren't just sitting there silently staring at all of the possibilities. :)

I think we are leaning towards staying south and then cutting up north in the New Orleans area. I just can't think of a lot of places we would want to stop if we stayed north (not north-north). I know Yellowstone is a great one but I have been there twice. Other than that... ?? Don't know.

Thank you!

• @soontobesyp We did St. Lucia two summers ago and loved it! I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions! We really need to just sit down with a map/Mapquest but I wanted to get some suggestions in mind so we aren't just sitting there silently staring at all of the possibilities. :)

I think we are leaning towards staying south and then cutting up north in the New Orleans area. I just can't think of a lot of places we would want to stop if we stayed north (not north-north). I know Yellowstone is a great one but I have been there twice. Other than that... ?? Don't know.

Thank you!

I've done a couple of cross-country road trips, and I must say, my very favorite place we stopped was Yellowstone. Old Faithful is cool, but the Grand Prismatic Spring (I think that's what it is called?) is even more amazing.

Also, if you head in that direction, you have to stop at Wall Drug in South Dakota.

However, I agree there aren't THAT many cool stops on the northern route... If you go south, you could potentially go through Vegas, and then hit the Grand Canyon, Austin TX, New Orleans, then cut north and go to Memphis (is that out of the way? My midwest geography is a little fuzzy). Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be fun! Road trips with someone you love (and like) are super fun.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have no advice for you, just wanted to say I think this sounds awesome! 
  • I haven't been but am dying to visit Bryce Canyon in southern Utah. Actually, most of Utah looks gorgeous to me!
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Going the southern route to New Orleans and then north from there would be awesome. The route back home to OH would take you either through Nashville (cool, obviously) or Knoxville, where you can hop a little east and drive through the Smoky Mountains, or stop in Gatlinburg. 
  • It all depends on the route you want to take. In Utah stopping in Salt Lake City to see the Tabernacle choir is amazing. If you go through Colorado I highly recommend a stop in Colorado City. They have pike's peak, garden of the gods, you can go horse back riding, and more. If you want to go more north into the Dakota's you've got Mt. Rushmore, Mt. Crazy Horse, Black Hills (love the jewelry from there). Again, if you end up towards northern Illionios, Chicago is a great place to visit. I would probably recommend leaving yourself 2 days for there, lots to see. This may sound crazy but you may actually want to check the NASCAR schedule when planning your trips. Reason I say this is because you don't want to go to a town when there is a NASCAR race (unless you want to go to a race) because you'll have a very hard time finding a place to stay & most places double if not triple their prices for week prior to and and few days after a race.
  • Thanks for all of the tips! If we do take the southern route, which places do people recommend in TX? I have been to Dallas and Fort Hood multiple times, but that is about it.
  • Thanks for all of the tips! If we do take the southern route, which places do people recommend in TX? I have been to Dallas and Fort Hood multiple times, but that is about it.
    I love Austin. It's just a cool city, with good food and a good music scene. Also, if you want to go to the beach, Galveston is fun too (depending on your time of the year - probably not the best place to go during hurricane season).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • djh513djh513 member
    First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2015

@tfmrserwin We would be traveling back from Lake Tahoe to OH between August 23 - September 2. I wouldn't mind stopping at the beach but I suppose that would depend on weather!

My brother was stationed in Fort Hood for 3 years and recommended basically... every city in TX, SO helpful, lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards