Honeymoon Discussions

First Anniversarymoon - Jamaica vs. St. Lucia

I'm exhausted from googling and need some help from people with experience!  We delayed our honeymoon to our first anniversary and we are looking to go some time in September, 2015.  Right now we are considering Jamaica or St. Lucia and it's a close call.

Specifically, we are looking at Sandals Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica.  Or Sandals Halcyon Beach in St. Lucia.  Both are smaller, more intimate resorts which is what we are going for.  We wants lots of relaxation, a good beach, drinks, and great food.  We wouldn't mind exploring a couple days either.  Here is what I have basically figured comparing the two:

SRP, Jamaica
-All butler, and people rave about the service.  A little more expensive than Halcyon Beach so we could probably only do 7 nights, but it sounds like the extra cash is money well-spent. 
-All ocean view rooms
-People RAVE about the food there.  
-Access to Sandals Grand Riviera with a short walk down the beach.  So while staying at the quiet SRP, we have access to go have a little more lively time and even more dining options at SGR if we choose.
-Heard good things about exploring in town, Ochos Rios, which is just a few minutes away.

SHB, St. Lucia
-For our budget, we would probably go for one of the bottom tier rooms which would not be butler level.  I'm guessing that leaves us on our own to make our own reservations and we probably wouldn't get the prime spots.  Less expensive so it would probably allow us 8 nights instead of 7.
-Ocean view not likely
-Food sounds like it's good, but not as good as SRP
-The beach sounds like it is nice and clean, but not as nice as Jamaica.  Sand is darker and the water is sapphire, not clear and crystal like Jamaica.  Also sounds like the water may be pretty choppy. 
-Access to two additional Sandals resorts which are 15 minutes away on either side, so that would involve a shuttle.
-Lots to do in St. Lucia

Help!  We are stuck...

Re: First Anniversarymoon - Jamaica vs. St. Lucia

• If you presented me, a potential vacation goer, with those lists... You would sway me to Jamaica based on the things you listed. For whatever that's worth lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • From your description Jamaics sounds better Note ocean view and reservations. Ocean view may not be that great,could be barely a sliver not full on so personally that wouldn't matter to me. As for reservstions, we've made our own and also had a butler make them. In some ways our own was easier and since we did it at the same resort on different trips I can't say we got better seats or service or times from having a butler do it vs on our own. Better beach would be good for me and if you are planning excursions like snorkeling that would be good.
  • Based on what you have listed, Jamaica...but knowing both countries, I'd choose St. Lucia.  How many nights would you have to lose in St. Lucia to have a higher level?
  • I have been to Halcyon. We really enjoed it. Unlike the other two sandals on St Lucia the cabanas are fre - first come first served and one was always available. We did not have an ocean view room but the room did have a slight view of the ocean. I like St lucia better because the island is safer. You are not confined to the property for your safety as you are in most of Jamaica. The shuttles run every 2 hrs to other resorts (1 hr to the La Toc and next hr toThe Grande). Next to the grande is a national park with an old fort on it. You can go ghiking there. Take water from your room with you as you will get hot and thirsty hiking. Only complaint I had was the drinks are watered down. If you have the concierge room they put bottles of liquor in them so you can make your own drinks or doctor the ones from the bar. We liked the quieter more intimate atmoshere of Halcyon. The grande reminded us of a carnival cruise - loud with lots of games bein played poolside. The beach is better at the grande and so is the bay for sailing the hobie cats. Snorkeling and diving are included. The grande goes to areas near the resort. Halcyon and La Toc share and area near those resorts. The boats go out from the resorts and do not always go to the same reef so go several times.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards