Honeymoon Discussions

Westin St. John

My parents were generous enough to give us their points at the Westin, good for 7 nights. I have been looking up different resorts and St. John is currently a front runner.  Has anyone stayed there before?  I know that there is no airport on St John so I am just wondering how easy it is to get from St. Thomas to St. John.  Also, is there much to do on the island beside just sitting on the beach? FI and I are definitely interested in doing a few excursions where ever we go.  

Re: Westin St. John

• You can get to the Westin 2 ways.  (1) is taking their private ferry.  The Westin as a booth at the airport where you check-in.  They drive you to the marina (10 mins away) and it takes you directly to the Westin Dock where golf carts are there to whisk you away.

The other option is taking the public ferry. You can either take a taxi to the waterfront or to Red Hook.  Then on the St John side take a taxi to the Westin.  Airport to Red hook ferry is 30 minutes or more. Ferry to STJ is another 25 minutes.  The Red Hook ferry runs every hour on the hour until midnight.

The town ferry runs less frequently, but I forget.  Something like every other hour and with the last one about 5:30pm or so.  The taxi to town is about  10-15 mins away.

The public will be cheaper, but the Westin ferry is way more convenient.

St John is about beaches, snorkeling, sailing, boating and hiking.  I love it there.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We took the ferry from Red Hook over to the Westin, but we ended up taking the Westin ferry back to the airport. I was easier for me to just pay the extra money to use the hotel ferry. Did your parents give your Starpoints via the SPG program or StarOptions via Starwood Vacation Ownership? If you got Starpoints, there are a lot of great properties in the Caribbean to choose from in the Sheraton/Westin/W brand. If you got StarOptions, then St. John is the best Caribbean property in the portfolio. Starwood Vacation Ownership is revamping their program and adding some properties in Mexico, but I'm not sure when that will happen .

• They gave us Starpoints.  I never thought to look at the Sheraton, my family has always stayed at the Westin/W. Is there much to do there besides sit on the beach? It seems like a beautiful location we are just afraid that we will be stuck on the beach the entire time.
  • Bring your passport and take day trips to the BVIs. Since St. John is mostly National Park, you can also explore that area. There are also many hidden beaches on the island to explore. You can go to a different beach each day!

I've also been to the Westin Dawn Beach St. Maarten, You could look into that as well. There is also a Westin Grand Cayman and Westin Punta Cana.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards