Wedding Party

Children at the wedding?

2»

Re: Children at the wedding?

• For some people Benadryl actually acts as an "upper" making them more hyperactive. Especially in children.

Says someone who was given it as a child and kept her parents up until 2 am.

This is my daughter. I had to give it to her for an allergic reaction, and now we call it baby crack. She was bouncing off the walls, like literally.
    I read about a family that gave some to their baby on a flight to Australia. Dad ended up sitting in the rest room half the night, with the door closed, bouncing the sick miserable sleepless toddler so the rest of the plane could sleep, and feeling guilty and scared for the entire flight. Because there you are, thousands of miles of ocean around you, and what else can you do?

(I don't believe for a second @banana468 would actually do this. She strikes me as the type of mom who actually reads labels and talks to pediatricians. But there are so many people who believe this is fine that it's scary.) 
  • banana468 said:

There's a huge difference between trying to get a child to sleep when little ears can't handle a change in cabin pressure during flights so the result is screaming in pain and wanting the child to be quiet for a wedding. Really? ??

Yes, there is a difference. But drugging them with something not approved for such a use is wrong as hell in both instances.
    I agree.
  • danamw said:

If you talk about it again with your mom, ask her "if he starts crying during the ceremony, who is going to take him out of the church?' If she or his mother are going to do that, fine. They usually don't remove him, but tell them, for your ceremony, you want him removed.

This advice will go over like a fart in church, but ..... Benadryl?

So I know a lot of people already covered this, but my heart practically stopped when I read this.  NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!  I'm assuming you're not a healthcare professional because if you were you'd know better than to a. suggest that. ever. or b. even suggest any kind of medical advice over the internet aside from "you should see your doctor."  Please. for the love of all children everywhere, never suggest this again. Don't suggest it on the internet. Don't suggest it to your friends and family. And don't suggest it to your enemies. 

And I can't even describe how disgusted I am that you would even think medication would be a good idea for a child simply ACTING LIKE A CHILD, even if that medication was approved for making babies calm/sleepy.  Medications are not to be doled out like candy just so someone can have their "special day." 

Wow.
  • banana468 said:

banana468 said:

There's a huge difference between trying to get a child to sleep when little ears can't handle a change in cabin pressure during flights so the result is screaming in pain and wanting the child to be quiet for a wedding. Really? ??

Yes, there is a difference. But drugging them with something not approved for such a use is wrong as hell in both instances.
    I agree.
    Whew, I thought so. But I wasn't 100% certain reading your post. Hooray for good sense!
  • For some people Benadryl actually acts as an "upper" making them more hyperactive. Especially in children.

Says someone who was given it as a child and kept her parents up until 2 am.

This is my daughter. I had to give it to her for an allergic reaction, and now we call it baby crack. She was bouncing off the walls, like literally.
    I read about a family that gave some to their baby on a flight to Australia. Dad ended up sitting in the rest room half the night, with the door closed, bouncing the sick miserable sleepless toddler so the rest of the plane could sleep, and feeling guilty and scared for the entire flight. Because there you are, thousands of miles of ocean around you, and what else can you do?

(I don't believe for a second @banana468 would actually do this. She strikes me as the type of mom who actually reads labels and talks to pediatricians. But there are so many people who believe this is fine that it's scary.) 
    Yeesh. How awful. I would have been terrified.
  • I used to sing in my sleep as a kid. Especially when I slept in strange places.

But sure drug me and take me to a wedding...that'll end well.
  • banana468 said:

banana468 said:

I agree.
    Whew, I thought so. But I wasn't 100% certain reading your post. Hooray for good sense!
    Yes! I'm not opposed to drugging my kids when they're sick or teething but to get them to be comatose so they don't make noise in a big place? Yeah no. I'm one of those crazy parents who heeds the recommendations of the pediatricians and vaccinates on schedule. If a kid at a wedding is making too much noise we GTFO. Spent a good 30 minutes at a wedding when DD was 10 mo old in the church vestibule.
  • I took the benadryl comment as sarcasm.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I took the benadryl comment as sarcasm.

Eh. The follow up comment (some pediatricians prescribe it) leads me to beleive not.
  • Personally, I'd save the drugs for use on planes. . .where no one can get up and escape the screaming!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• danamwdanamw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015

I took the benadryl comment as sarcasm.

Imagine what would have happened if I had said "crack"! They would have turned inside out!

Many of the women who post here, take themselves very seriously.

• danamw said:

Imagine what would have happened if I had said "crack"! They would have turned inside out!

Except, joking about drugging children isn't even a little bit funny, and is irresponsible. People on the internet are dumb. Someone might come on here and think that your shit joke, coupled with your bullshit statement that it is recommended by a pediatrician,  is good advice. 

• banana468 said:

danamw said:

If it makes you feel better I don't take you seriously.

No offense, but I don't take any of you that seriously. You are just a bunch of women on a website that I don't know personally. I don't keep track of any of the things you say, and who says them. I wouldn't know any of you, if I passed you in the mall.

When it comes to wedding etiquette, I admire some of the expertise and common sense, but as human beings, some of you are better than others. As people, there are those I like more (names not mentioned) and others, I think are the dregs.

Who cares?

• I care when people say ignorant and just plain stupid and harmful shit. No "keeping track" required.
  • danamw said:

banana468 said:

danamw said:

No offense, but I don't take any of you that seriously. You are just a bunch of women on a website that I don't know personally. I don't keep track of any of the things you say, and who says them. I wouldn't know any of you, if I passed you in the mall.

When it comes to wedding etiquette, I admire some of the expertise and common sense, but as human beings, some of you are better than others. As people, there are those I like more (names not mentioned) and others, I think are the dregs.

Who cares?

It's an internet forum for wedding planning.   None of it should be taken all that seriously.

However it's a petty and defensive tactic to suggest something offensive and then insult those who call you out on the offensive suggestion.   You KNEW it wasn't going to go over well.   So stop with the superiority thing and take ownership of the craptacularity in your idea.
  • You are all more tiresome than you are worth.

Ashley, classy profile pic.

• danamw said:

You are all more tiresome than you are worth.

• danamw said:

banana468 said:

danamw said:

Who cares?

OMG my feelings are so hurt! 

Wait. I don't give a shit. 

• danamw said:

Bye then. Don't let the door hit ya.

• danamw said:

Ya don't like the D huh? Can't blame ya, I wouldn't let one that close to my mouth either.
  • lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    Hmm, Saying things that other posters find upsetting, and getting extremely defensive/passive-agressive when being called out on it instead of owning up to it...CMGr, is that you? I thought you left?

Formerly martha1818

• Hmm, Saying things that other posters find upsetting, and getting extremely defensive/passive-agressive when being called out on it instead of owning up to it...CMGr, is that you? I thought you left?

• danamw said:

------

Bye, Felicia!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

danamw said:

------

Bye, Felicia!

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    danamw said:

Why are you here, then? Feel free to go. I don't think anyone will stop you.
  • danamw said:

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• danamw said:

banana468 said:

danamw said:

Who cares?

And you're here because….............?
  • edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards