Not Engaged Yet

Tuesday Treats

Good morning! It is freakin FREEZING here. I had to run back in the house to grab something and when I did, I left my hat and scarf on the kitchen counter. I asked H if my ears get frostbite and have to be amputated will he still love me (yes, phew). 

I wish my mom was going to start painting today but I think it'll be another day of prepping the living room. A lot of the current paint was in bad shape upon closer inspection so she's had to peel/chip all of what's loose and now she has to sand/feather it before painting can happen. We might end up hiring a professional if my mom doesn't think she can get it smoothed over enough on her own. Boooo! And it doesn't look like my bedroom will get done this week :(

H is going to Connecticut today (@buddsymom80 - He'll be in Stamford!) until Thursday for work and I'm going to miss him! I'm SO glad it worked out that my mom will be here though because I'm not ready to sleep in the house alone just yet lol 

What's your favorite treat (food)?
When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice?
If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly?
Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them?

Re: Tuesday Treats

• What's your favorite treat (food)?
    Right now, since I'm on Weight Watchers, pizza is a real treat for me. It's my favorite food on the planet but even just one slice is a ton of points (and who wants just ONE slice) so it's not something I have too often. 

I got a massage a couple weeks ago for the first time in a LONG time. I got a raise and bonus so I thought it would be a nice treat! 

I think I'd have a once a week spa day. Massage, mani and pedi. I love relaxing and letting my brain turn off for a bit. I always feel prettier and more put together when I have a manicure. And I just love pedicures because I love having my feet rubbed!

I don't but I'm thinking about doing something for my weight loss goals. I'm very impulsive and if I want something I usually just go for it or figure out a way to in the near future, if that makes sense. I'm interested to see what other people do. 

This time of year - Shamrock shake... but usually it is ice cream/frozen yogurt of some sort.

H took care of that - he knew I wanted the kitchenaid mixer and had been eyeballing them for some time so he sat me down and had me pick one out.  I put this because I did know about it and it's 'our' money, but he wanted to make sure I got one.  Recently I've also bought a few board games I've wanted, so I'll put that in the 'treat yourself' category.

I think for me the wording should be 'If you had more time to take breaks at work' - we have a manicurist and a masseuse that come in regularly and the prices are very reasonable - if I had the time I would take advantage of these more regularly.

In the past I have.  My rewards have been anything from stopping at Menchies (frozen yogurt) to buying a DVD that I wanted.  I probably should get back to doing this.

-----------------------------

I had a hard time getting up this morning.  I was having weird dreams (I blame watching Walking Dead - it was a zombie dream but not scary or anything, just weird - more along the lines of Shaun of the Dead).

Last night I got home and did a load of laundry, made dinner, then tried out the kitchenaid and made chocolate chip cookies (mmm - they turned out wonderful) and then H and I watched Walking Dead and 2 Broke Girls and I went to bed.

I'm thinking about trying a pumpkin cookie recipe I found online tonight.... just 'cause the kitchenaid is my new toy and I want to use it.  I'm sure if I subject my coworkers to home made cookies they won't object.

Anniversary
  • @Swazzle - Sorry there is a delay to your painting.  Better to have it done right though!

@cu97tiger - Have fun at Zumba!!

Anniversary
  • @swazzle I'm sorry about the paint issues. I hope you get to paint everything soon.

It's snowing a lot here today so I'm working from home. It's so pretty but it probably won't last all day since the temperatures are supposed to be into the upper 30s and then it's predicted to snow again tonight.

If the roads are clear tonight I'll probably go to CrossFit and workout with my beer gut out lol. I call it my Blump because it's not a baby bump, it's a bloated bump.

What's your favorite treat (food)? I think my favorite treat would be ice cream and my favorite food is definitely pasta.
    When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? I bought myself a new Pandora charm (that's a little Maddux) a few weeks ago. It wasn't very expensive but I rarely buy myself anything.
    If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? New clothes, purses, and shoes.
    Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them?  Sometimes, DH and I never really set weight goals for ourselves but if we reached a certain amount that we wanted to save, money wise, or if we had been working hard on selling the car then we will celebrate lol.
  • edited February 2015
    What's your favorite treat (food)? Today coffee. Usually chocolate.
    When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? Food? Sunday and I regret it. Not food? Last week FI and I bought a love seat ... does that count?
    If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? Massages.
    Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them? Kind of. I tend not to make major purchases before I can afford them up front, so that's kind of setting goals and rewards. As far as food-related goals, that's more a series of carrots and sticks with a lot more sticks than carrots.
    ---
    Hella-ass cold here too. Wind chill is -10. Yesterday's warmth was nice while it lasted.
    FI and I were at his office until midnight last night rebuilding a system he needs working today for distinguished visitors. It works. We're both tired. I need coffee.
    I worked on the bulletin last night, too. It's done except for the vows. It might be a little over-complete, but we're having a religious ceremony where  not everyone is familiar with all the steps, plus with congregational singing it felt rude to not provide the melody for the hymns.
    Today I have my second fitting! This time we're working on the top of the dress and adding modesty panels. If I like the hemline (I anticipate liking it), she'll put the scalloped lace back on before the next time I see it as well. My mom is bringing my bouquet and a hair piece she found and we're going to start seeing the whole look put together.

ETA: Answers to questions. I told you I was tired!
  • I hear you ladies on how cold it is, -5 is what my car said this morning. BRRR! it's cold in here... 

I am back to work today and I just don't feel like it. I hope the day flies by and I can hit the couch tonight and just relax. I did find out yesterday that my bachelorette party will be June 6...getting excited! It's supposed to be at Patriots Place- don't have all of the details yet but I'm hoping it's howl at the moon and bowling. Hopefully the snow will melt by then lol

I love a big bowl of nachos or vanilla ice cream/froyo
    Probably when I got my engagement pics done...got my hair did.
    I would take weekend vacations to FL.
    I try to, but it's easier for me to set them for my students...and somehow I pat myself on the back when the kids achieve their goals. I feel like I helped in some way.
  • Good morning!

I'm so excited the FI and I get to go view our venue tonight and if everything goes well sign our contract and pay our deposit!  Yay!

Soooo not excited about this seller I'm dealing with on the dress I want.   My first offer was more than the last one I saw sell on Tradesy, and more than she's gotten on any of her auctions as far as bids goes (she's listed it 5+ times previously to now, btw).  She comes back and reduces her BIN by $15.  Uh...no.  I didn't say anything about the Tradesy dress, but I did come up a bit and offer her $100 more than the high bid on her last auction.  I've been a bidder on 3 of her auctions and have asked her questions about it so she knows I know she's been attempting to sell it for a while now.  If this falls through there's another one for sale on POWD so I won't be super heartbroken.  It's her dress and she can try and sell it for what she wants out of it, but likewise I'm not going to pay double what the last one I saw sell for when I know there's less expensive options out there.

What's your favorite treat (food)? Cheesecake!

When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice?  Saturday I treated myself to some of my own time.  I don't spend a lot of time on me, so I spent the morning giving myself a little beauty routine which is something I enjoy but don't prioritize on a regular basis.

If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly?  Puppies ;)  j/k  Day trips with FI.  It's something we used to do back when we first started dating but it seems harder for us to find the time/money to spend on them anymore.

I've found it very beneficial for weight loss/diet/fitness goals to set non-food treats as rewards, even if it's just something I need (like new clothes, because of the weight loss).
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
    Bacon cheese fries from Outback. And Outback ranch dressing! mmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm eating a boston creme filled donut right now. YUM! 

Manicures and haircuts/color/style

Not really. I should though. Maybe I would get more done.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Hey hey! It IS freezing here. I heard on the radio this morning that we're only about 18 days from Spring, is that true? If so, it makes me deliriously happy.

I'm in a much better mood today than yesterday. My boss is gone again until Thursday AND he asked me to work from home tomorrow so that I can do reference checks for 4 candidates we're considering hiring. He doesn't want me to do them from the office because the position we're hiring for is a secret. I NEVER get to WFH and I am so excited to get to do so tomorrow. FI said he'd probably work from home too, so we could spend the day together. Also, FI applied to 5 jobs yesterday, which makes me super happy because I want him to find a more stable company to work for ASAP.

So basically, I just have to make it through work today, then I get to WFH tomorrow. Thursday I get to drive to @Swazzle's straight from work for a sleepover with her and @Audrewuh, and then it's FRIDAY!

What's your favorite treat (food)? Ice cream.

When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? I guess the new outfit I bought myself for NYE?

If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? Massages.

Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them? I set plenty of goals for myself, but my favorite rewards are food and new clothes. Since I'm trying to lose weight and need to save money, I haven't been rewarding myself much lately :-(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What's your favorite treat (food)? Anything sweet, especially ice cream!

When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? Last summer I took myself of a shopping spree. It was awesome.

If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? Mani/pedis.
    Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them? This is something I am trying to get in the habit of. Usually, when I see something I want, I just buy it, even if it means I'm taking money away from something important (bills, debt, etc). I've stopped spoiling myself and now I'm waiting until I actually do things to warrant treats. Right now, my goal is to be strict on myself during our diet. When I achieve that, I am going to reward myself with a mani/pedi :) 
    Bacon cheese fries from Outback. And Outback ranch dressing! mmmmmmmmmmmm
    their ranch is so good!!!!!
  • @beanbot2002 - NOW I WANT BACON CHEESE FRIES DAMN YOU.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Twodimes Oh no lol! I just look like I ate way too much. @Labro was poking it this weekend because it was super lumpy and hanging over my pants : (
  • It is so cold here, I did not want to get out of bed this morning.  I also just woke up plain exhausted.  I got to bed at a decent time too.  I really just want to sleep some more. It' only Tuesday, I have a feeling this week is going to drag. 

@swazzle I'm sorry the painting it being delayed, it will be worth it, to have it done right though

cake
    No idea.  I've been keeping things pretty basic, although H bought a 65 inch ultra HD TV a month ago
    massages
    No not really

Anniversary

• It is literally freezing here. I'm on Ice Day Two, but we're being called into the office at noon for a couple of hours. I did NOTHING yesterday, so I have to buckle down and get a lot done today. The copious amounts of gin I had last night didn't help, but they made my FaceTime date super fun. 

It's supposed to snow tonight (2-4"), so I'm trying to figure out if we're having our regularly scheduled evening activities tomorrow night at church or whether we should cancel. If the schools close, we shouldn't have it, right?

Then, off to spend the weekend with @swazzle and have dinner with @hummingbird125!!

---------------

I love french baguettes with goat cheese, with a bottle of wine. 

I'm taking a trip to see @swazzle as well as a non-knottie BFF this weekend. And I bought a coat for it, which has been amazing with this cold nastiness here. 

More weekend excursions! And I would keep my make up replenished regularly.

I keep telling myself I'll reward myself with my quarter sleeve (or at least another tattoo) once I get in shape. I need to start some kind of money jar for it so that I have a visual and actual savings goal. @goldenpenguin, maybe we can add this to our accountability!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • What's your favorite treat (food)? Mac'n'cheese. 

When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? I don't know....I was supposed to get a massage last weekend but didn't get it booked.  I got my hair done in November?  I did have gluten free pizza this weekend too which was a treat.  Oh and H and I will book a vacation sometime soon hopefully (again, we were supposed to do this last weekend and didn't...seriously slacking).

If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? Massages and facials.

Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them? I used to do this with weight loss.  I need to do that again to motivate me. 
  • @audrewuh, if the schools toss it in, I'd toss in the church activities.
  • @keptinstitches - just got an email confirming that. So, now to wait and see what happens. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary

Pretty much anything our receptionist buys at work. She bought pocky for Chinese new year, awesome. She bought 2 bite brownies yesterday, awesome. Sometimes donuts. Shes the reason I'm not skinny!

I booked a vacation last month (for april), and am looking at buying a new (to me) car. But I haven't actually gotten these things yet, so it's been a while. I don't usually spend much on myself.

The Spa, or vacations. Or going to the spa on vacation. I used to work at a spa and would get massages once or twice a month, and it's been over a year now =(

I try, but I dont often achieve anything =( Current goal is still weight loss. See first question =\
  • I woke up in a bad mood today. I just don't want to deal with people at work and I really don't want to go to the gym. It's not that I hate the gym, it's that I hate driving to the gym. I feel like it eats up so much time. I'm really excited to move in April because there's a gym right across the street and I'm hoping I'll feel a little more motivated to go since I won't have to drive there.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What's your favorite treat (food)? I really love pasta but I'm supposed to be decreasing the amount of carbs I eat so now pasta is a treat.

When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? I got a haircut on Saturday. It feels so nice to have short hair again.

If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? A spa day would be nice. I need to figure out a way to distress that isn't binge eating.

Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them? I try. It hasn't been working lately. But I do have rewards in mind for specific weight loss goals. I've told myself I can't buy any new books until I get into the 150s and I'm getting a tattoo when I reach my goal weight.

• AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    @swazzle sorry about the painting delay! Also stay warm! 

@cu79tiger Cancun sounds awesome. I am actually researching Cancun/Riviera Maya/Cozumel for a potential honeymoon location, and would love to hear about your trip! FI and I have no preference for location as long as it is somewhere relaxing. Also have fun at Zumba! 

@Dignity100 I love my KitchenAid. It made baking so much easier. I hope to get some of the attachments in the near future for mine too. Those pumpkin cookies sound delicious! 

Yesterday was such a busy day at work, but now today is slower. Our contacts overseas are still out for the holiday, so I don't have much going on today. 

FI and I went to visit my FBIL over the weekend, and we had a lot of fun hanging out with him. He showed us his lab and explained his research to us, and then we went out to dinner. On Sunday, we went to a Charles Dickens festival going on downtown, and walked around an antique shop. Then FI and I drove back to SD and used up some Kohl's Cash on workout gear. I had heard good things about Yoga, so I decided to buy a mat and an intro DVD. I did it Sunday night and last night, and I am so sore! It feels good though, and I am hoping to find some classes to try too. 

FI and I are on a health kick, so he made this delicious sesame ginger chicken last night after his run and we had green beans with it. We both feel energized now that we are eating really healthy, and we are saving so much money by not eating out as much. 

And questions: 

What's your favorite treat (food)? I love pizza. I could eat it all the time if I wouldn't get fat. And wine. Non food treat would be any type of pampering (massages, mani/pedis, etc.).
    When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? I got a mani/pedi a few weeks ago for the first time in months, right before we took our engagement pictures. It was glorious. 
    If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? I would travel the world in luxury. First class/private jets, luxurious accommodations, and every possible experience I could find in each new place. There are so many different places I want to see, so I would definitely travel to all of them and probably return to some too. 
    Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them? I do set goals, but I don't really reward myself too often. Lately it has just been if I feel like I have been eating healthy and exercising more and am really craving a burger or pizza, then I will get that for one meal every once in a while. FI and I have been really good about saving money lately, and just seeing a bank account with a good sum of money is enough of a reward for me. More than anything, the reward for me is being healthier and having money saved up. I feel happier knowing that we are prepared in case of an emergency and feel better about myself when I eat right and exercise. And eventually some of that money will go toward funding our wedding and some awesome trips that we hope to take, which will also be nice rewards. 

ETF: typo

• I swear I read everyone's comments today, but I'm so late to the thread that it would take forever to reply to everyone. 

Like @audrewuh said, we're on Ice Day 2. Allegedly it will snow tonight, so methinks we may have a snow day tomorrow as well. Wednesdays are my WFH days regardless, so I'll be home no matter what. I think Dallas decided to do winter in one week.

Yesterday I was really bad and binged on some junk food. :( I was bored, hungry, and curled up on the couch. It seemed like a good idea at the time! *sigh* One day I'll get this whole diet thing under control.

FI and I had a great weekend. Friday night we went to our friends' house to celebrate a birthday. We made little personal pizzas and watched Friends. It was a lot of fun. Saturday we ran a few errands and then went out to Ruth's Chris for our anniversary dinner. Can't believe it will be 4 years tomorrow since we went on our first date. Time flies, eh? Sunday we were supposed to hang out with my cousin/MOH and her BF, but they cancelled at the last minute, so FI and I vegged around the house all day. 

On a WR note, we've been tackling the guest list. I hate it, but I think we're going to have to do a B list, which is super tacky. It's mainly because I was threatened by a cousin to invite ALL the cousins from that side even though 80% of them won't come. Our absolute max at the venue is 125, and right now we're around 155 with the A list, but that includes about 20 people that I know won't come... ugh. Wedding politics can bite me.

The questions:
    What's your favorite treat (food)? Oh geez, there are just so many. Pizza, cheeseburgers, fries, Reese's, gummy bears...
    When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? I've been hitting up sales at Ann Taylor/LOFT and Old Navy recently. Old Navy has fantastic active wear. 
    If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? Vacations! I want to visit ALL the places!
    Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them? Yep, but it was not a healthy system.... but seemed to be the only one that has really worked so far. With weight loss, I'd let myself binge eat for one day each month if I followed my diet strictly. It worked REALLY well. Once I tried setting non-food rewards for fitness, I started failing. Clearly I have an unhealthy relationship with food.

• Is it spring yet? 

eilis1228 Don't over invite in case everyone does come.  Also, don't B list.  Break your guest list down by absolutely must invite, would like to invite, don't have to invite.  If you have additional space after the absolutely must invite, then go to would like to invite, then the don't have to invite.  I have a huge extended family, where if you invite one you have to invite several others.  So my mom made a list of those family circles so my sister was able to draw a line with people she didn't know, remember, or know that well.  If she wanted to invite a person she did know, but not everyone who had to be included with that person, she just didn't invite any of them.  -- Hope that makes sense, typing fast

Chocolate anything, Tiramisu, wine
    I just bought a new wardrobe for work since I needed suits and blazers. I think I'll get a pedicure this weekend.
    Spa treatments, shoes, and handbags
    I do, but only for large goals.  The biggest goal I have right now is finishing and moving into the house.  I have a giftcard to a local spa, so I've told my bf that once we are completely moved in, we will get massages. 

I also have goals that are rewards -- For instance, I make it a goal to travel someplace I have never been before at least once a year. 

• @eilis1228 what did your cousin threaten you with? I wouldn't give in to them and invite the people you know you want, within the 125 person venue limit, instead of B-listing. I'm sorry, but I think you need to stand up for yourself in this situation. 

I'm assuming that cousin is threatening not to come? If that's the case, I would just tell them that they will be missed in that case. If I assumed wrong, then something along those lines for whatever it is they are threatening. 

• What's your favorite treat (food)? EVERYTHING. I dunno! I like to treat myself to candy, or snack food. Lately, cheese and crackers (weird, I know) have been my go-to.
    When's the last time you treated yourself to something nice? Cheese and crackers on Sunday.
    If money grew on trees, what's something you'd treat yourself to regularly? Mani/pedis.
    Do you set goals and reward yourself for achieving them? Nope. :\ Maybe I should.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • TwoDimes said:
    eilis1228 said:

On a WR note, we've been tackling the guest list. I hate it, but I think we're going to have to do a B list, which is super tacky. It's mainly because I was threatened by a cousin to invite ALL the cousins from that side even though 80% of them won't come. Our absolute max at the venue is 125, and right now we're around 155 with the A list, but that includes about 20 people that I know won't come... ugh. Wedding politics can bite me.

Why would you "have to" B-list? I don't understand.

You hate it, so obviously you know it's wrong. Tacky is an understatement - B-listing is rude, and doing it could result in a more or worse hurt feelings that you would get if you just didn't invite them. You have a legitimate argument for not inviting people: your venue has a strict capacity limit. Stand your ground. Your cousin doesn't get a say in your guest list anyway (I assume this cousin is not contributing financially). Wedding politics only have to suck if you let them.
    All of this. I understand so much how tough this is for you, but if you have a capacity limit then you really need to stick to your guns here. Your cousin doesn't need to have intimate knowledge of who is and is not on the guest list and you don't need to pursue conversations with them about it.

• Also, on this topic of inviting over capacity, as a note to anyone NEY or not yet in the planning stages, this is exactly why the very first thing that FI and I did was create our guest list. We sat down and wrote it out (including plus ones to account for the possibility that our single friends won't be by the time of our wedding), then checked with our families for anyone we missed, set our budget based on that number, and then went venue hunting based on our final number. We ruled out venues immediately that didn't hold enough people. We also picked a venue that has plenty of room for us to invite more people if we realize that we did forget some on our initial list (list has 140, venue holds 300). This type of planning allowed the planning process to be quite stress free, and I highly recommend it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards