Not Engaged Yet

WR AW Hair Trial!

Hi Guys! 

I had my first hair trial today! It was fun. She seemed good. The owner was like "you better book soon, we have another bride that just called up about that day!" which... turned me off. I have another hair and makeup trial set up for next Saturday! Though, the deposit would only be $35, so maybe I should book her just in case? Never mind. Minimum of three girls. So the deposit would be $105. I have no idea if I'll like the work of the other people better or the same... they would end up being less expensive though, since I'd only have to pay one travel fee. With the salon I went to today, I'd have to pay the travel fee for both the hair person AND the makeup person. 

What do you guys think of the results? She said she would give me more volume on the top on the day of, since my hair would sit in curlers for much longer and she'd blow my hair out straight first, so I wouldn't have weird bumps. FI's cousin has also offered to let me use the hair extensions that she used for her wedding, so I could stick those in and get more hair on the bottom, which mean's you'd probably be able to see more from the front. 

Re: WR AW Hair Trial!

• I really love the back, for sure. I don't think it looks too bumpy, but it's harder to tell from the photos than it would be in person.

It sounds like it's expensive? A $105 deposit? How much would it cost?
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • If I'm being completely honest,  the back looks weirdly uneven to me. It looks nice on the sides and the front but the back just looks off to me.

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    That's helpful guys! Keep the comments coming! 

@phira On the day of, it would cost $105 for my hair, and $85 for bridesmaids hair. The salon requires a $35 deposit for each person to hold the date, and they require a minimum of 3 people in order to travel to you. 

ETA: And the "bumpy" part is the little bouffant bit. It wasn't laying quite right, since my hair is curly to begin with and she didn't wet down my hair and blow dry it straight for the trial. 
  • I think it's a little uneven, like the right side needs more curl to even it out? I love the style though and I think if the stylist teased your hair a bit more that it would look very full. Very pretty!
  • I agree with PP's. The back does look a little uneven, but I think more teasing and/or adding extensions would be helpful. However, I do think it is very pretty. And I love your headpiece! 

What do the other stylists charge? I know that there is one in my area that only requires services of more than $100 to travel, which will definitely cover my hair and makeup the day of (haven't done a trial yet but probably who I will end up using). Are there any like that in your area?

• This is a weirdly personal thing that I dont like, but the back curls look like she sprayed hairspray and then curled them, which gives sort of a hard crusty look? Some hair curls easier than other, so she may do this to make sure they stay, but I prefer a softer curl look. If that even makes sense.

Other than that I like it. I like the soft curls around your face. I can see the uneven-ness that pps said, but I think it could be remedied by re-pinning slightly.

I would also be turned off by that statement/attitude. I wonder if they are just trying to pressure you. Wait until after your other trial for sure before you decide! And you might want to take pics later in the evening to see how it held up to compare.

• @AuroraRose41 I couldn't find anyone in the mid/ western part of CT that charges much differently (I found people that charged more, and maybe one or two that charged a TINY bit less, but not by much)! Ack! And since my wedding is three months away (exactly today!) I'm really antsy to get hair and make up locked down. 
  • Oh no! Okay, I would definitely wait for your other trial to occur. I agree that it seemed like she was just trying to pressure you into booking. 

Also I did just look into the place I had in mind, and what their distance range is. They say they will travel outside of the local area, but anything over 40 miles away from them is $1.35 per mile. Hartford, CT is 139 miles away according to Google Maps, so it looks like you wouldn't save much money :(. I tried! I do think my photographer shoots some weddings in that area too, maybe I can find some for you from his blog. (It's a slow day at work....)

• @lilacck28, where did you go? I go to Iron Scissors in Middletown normally for my hair so I will definitely probably price them out when it comes time. 

I'm not in love with it. I guess it makes me nervous that she didn't do it the right way during the trial? Am I just weird like that? I would definitely try the other trial you have set up. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @blackbird230 I went to Naomi's Studio & Salon in Newington. Next weekend I have a trial set up with Dana Bartone & Co. 
  • I guess the deposit doesn't seem so terrible to me. What would the grand total end up being? I had to pay a 50% deposit when I booked and the remaining 50% a week before the event for all of the people who were having hair done (so basically $35 pp doesn't seem so bad IF you were planning on anyone else having their hair professionally done).

With that said!

I think you should consider extensions. I actually really love the style from the back, and I like it from the sides....but I feel like it needs more oomph in the bun to fill it out, because it just looks smallish when you see the style from the side view (and there are going to be LOTS of side-ish view pictures of you.

• First of all, you look lovely and I agree with @labro that the down payment doesn't seem like too much depending on what percentage that is of the total.  I too had to put 50% down when I booked. I agree that the bun is a little off.  I would wait for your next trial to decide who you want to book.  If you go with the original lady, I would show her the pictures again and tell her that you need another trial to make sure it can be what you want on your wedding day.  You don't want to be waiting until then and then feel bummed.
  • thanks for your comments guys!
     @LaBro @minskat30 The deposit isn't so bad because no matter which salon I choose, there is a minimum of 3 people. What would make the deposit "bad" is if I decide to go with someone else! I think I probably will wait until my trial next Saturday--- I hope the woman I saw today doesn't get booked before  then though! 

And, LaBro, I agree. Extensions are a good idea. FI's cousin has a bunch of extensions that she used for her wedding that she said I could use. yay! She has darker brown hair than I do, but the woman yesterday said darker is better. Plus, I def. need to dye my hair. All the grays! I've never done permanent dye before... just the boxed semi-permanent stuff that washes out. I might stick with that. 
  • I wouldn't book with her yet, that is a lot for a deposit for a place you didn't love.  Her comment about the other bride may be true, but she could have said it differently.  I'd wait until you go to the other salon to make a final decision.

I love the hairstyle though.  I think if it is curled and teased a little more it will look perfect. Extensions may help, but not necessary.
  • @lilacck28 - I didn't love my first hair trial either, but my friend is doing my hair, so she will do as many trials as we need to get what I love. I don't think it's bad to do more than one. 

Also, my best friend used Dana Bartone for makeup, and they were fantastic. The makeup artist actually ended up coming back to the house and totally redoing her hair because best friend HATED it when she left the salon. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I agree that it's a little uneven and it does look a little 'rough'.  It sounds like you're not comfortable with them and because of that, I would not book.  I do like the style you are going for.

I know all areas are different and my wedding was a destination - but here were the costs:
    My down payment was $65
    Hair - Long - Updo was $75 (BM's also were $75 for long hair and $65 for short - I let them choose style and paid for their service).
    Lashes (provided by vendor) were $13
    Airbrush Makeup $85 (regular makeup was $67)

The vendor did not charge a travel fee
    I also was not subject to an early morning fee (my vendor did have some brides that had to start hair & makeup at 4AM for a 6AM In-Park Photo Session).

Anniversary
  • @goldenpenguin That's so great to hear! I have high hopes for Dana Bartone, for sure, though the hairstyles they display on their website seem a little "tighter" than my preference. But I can't imagine it's that difficult for professionals to pull out a few pieces and make it look a little more undone/ romantic. 

I spoke to my mom. She liked the back, but wasn't a fan of the look from the front. And yesterday I felt a little... rushed? Even though she spent an hour and a half doing my hair it just... yeah, didn't seem like she was paying me that much attention? But maybe I have a misguided sense of how "pampered" I should feel? I've never really had my hair done all fancy like! (I never went to prom. I had my hair done as a bridesmaid once, and it looked awful... like... wet. And I had it done at the mall once for homecoming. But neither were a big thing like this.) But I've gotten my hair cut/ styled before at nice salons and it felt like I was more of a priority there. 

Anyway, my mom agrees with me and all of you that I should definitely just wait till my trial next Saturday before making any deposits or decisions. 
  • That head piece is so lovely! I hope you're able to get the extensions. I think that would add a little oomph!

• @alpacina FI's Cousin just mailed me the extensions today! YAY! They should get here in time for the next trial!

And thank you for all the compliments on the hair piece! It was my splurge from BHLDN :) BUT! I did get it on sale, and it was one of their least expensive halos to begin with. And since I'm borrowing my veil I figured... Go for it!  
  • I'm kind of annoyed for you that she couldn't be bothered to straighten your hair before styling it. I'm assuming you paid for the trial? I get that it's not supposed to be perfect as you're trying to figure it all out but how are you supposed to really see what you like if she rushes through that part of it? 

I think the overall style is really pretty. I agree with PPs about the bun (both the hard-looking curls and how it's kind of uneven). The first thing that I noticed that I'm not a huge fan of is in the picture where you're facing to the right, the strand of hair that's hanging from right by your ear seems really misplaced and just kind of pulled out and curled. 

I'd definitely wait and see how things go on Saturday with the other salon! 

• Swazzle said:

I'm kind of annoyed for you that she couldn't be bothered to straighten your hair before styling it. I'm assuming you paid for the trial? I get that it's not supposed to be perfect as you're trying to figure it all out but how are you supposed to really see what you like if she rushes through that part of it? 

I think the overall style is really pretty. I agree with PPs about the bun (both the hard-looking curls and how it's kind of uneven). The first thing that I noticed that I'm not a huge fan of is in the picture where you're facing to the right, the strand of hair that's hanging from right by your ear seems really misplaced and just kind of pulled out and curled. 

I'd definitely wait and see how things go on Saturday with the other salon! 
    ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Honestly if you don't absolutely love it when you look at it, I definitely recommend that you keep looking. It's your wedding day, and you want to love how you look.  You do look absolutely lovely, but I agree that your hair trial shouldn't just be a rough thrown together look, that will "look better the day of." 

That's not a fair position to be put in. Definitely do the other trial.  You never know, the new salon make knock your socks off! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards