Chit Chat

How did you meet?

levieenroselevieenrose member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited February 2015 in Chit Chat
The spontaneous Vegas proposal thread reminded me that I love hearing stories about how people met. Waaay more than I love proposal stories. 

So, I'll go first? 

The first time I saw DH, it was my first week of university and he was hypnotized on stage. Ha! Flashforward a year and a half and I started "noticing" him at campus events. I had this persistent, unreasonable feeling that I was possibly going to marry him. We still hadn't actually met and I literally knew nothing about him other than what he looked like! I knew in my head that I was being a crazy person.

About a week after noticing him at every campus event I attended, I was offered a position as a resident assistant in his building and we became colleagues. The very first thing he said was (minorly) insulting and I thought, "Oh, well. I guess he's a jerk, so never mind. I'm not interested." 

Except that by the end of our training week I realized I was legitimately deeply, madly in love with him. 

Edited to remove excessive sappiness.

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

Re: How did you meet?

• eHarmony - I didn't want to go out with him because he's in the Army and I knew what a hard life that can be for spouses, since my BFF is married to a Marine.  But he was nice so I figured what the heck, might as well grab lunch.  The rest is history - he's the best, kindest, generous, loving man I've known since my dad. 

And yep, my fears of the Army life have come true - we are moving to Kentucky in 5 months.  But you know what, I'm not afraid of it any more because I have him.  And it's only 8 hours' drive back to KC to see my family and friends.  (and I might be a little more optimistic for him getting promoted and then us able to live in Germany for a couple of years in the future)

• We first met when I was a sophomore and he was a junior in high school at a mutual friends house. We barely said two words to each other.  Then 2 years later same mutual friend matched us up because I needed a date to prom.  And as they say, the rest is history.

• We first met when I was a sophomore and he was a junior in high school at a mutual friends house. We barely said two words to each other.  Then 2 years later same mutual friend matched us up because I needed a date to prom.  And as they say, the rest is history.
    Aww! Who doesn't love HS sweethearts?

• We met my first day at college. One of the girls on my floor had met some guy and wanted to invite him to whatever it was we were doing that night. We went to knock on his door and SO came out of his room because he thought we had knocked on his door. We invited him along too. We were pretty much inseparable from day one and started dating a month after we met.

• eHarmony - I didn't want to go out with him because he's in the Army and I knew what a hard life that can be for spouses, since my BFF is married to a Marine.  But he was nice so I figured what the heck, might as well grab lunch.  The rest is history - he's the best, kindest, generous, loving man I've known since my dad. 

And yep, my fears of the Army life have come true - we are moving to Kentucky in 5 months.  But you know what, I'm not afraid of it any more because I have him.  And it's only 8 hours' drive back to KC to see my family and friends.  (and I might be a little more optimistic for him getting promoted and then us able to live in Germany for a couple of years in the future)

Bolded because that's amazing. :) 

• OKcupid!

But our first date was a little cafe in a touristey small town halfway between our towns, since we lived about 50 minutes apart. I really liked him and felt ureasonably certain that I was going to marry him.

He, on the other hand, was surprised I wanted to go out again. He thought I didn't like him on account of my resting bitch face. 

Date 2 we went to a bar then went to his house and watched some really terrible Canadian war movie. Then I jumped his bones and that was that. 
  • amelisha said:
    I sang with him in a choir for a couple years and when I met him he was in high school (I had graduated the year before) and I thought he was just a kid. He wore a leather jacket and a silver necklace and was six feet tall and 120 pounds, so I probably wasn't far off.I started dating another guy about three weeks after I met him and never thought about him for the next four and change years.

Then my best friend at the time slept with him, thought it "ruined their friendship", and vowed to never do it again but confided in me that it was amazing. A couple months later he went after me, and I was still hurting a bit from a long relationship's breakup and I started sleeping with him, remembering my friend's recommendation, haha.

We slept together on and off for about three years while I dated a bunch of other guys and was generally miserable, and I guess one day I woke up and said to myself "Why do you date horrible men? Why do you always date guys you despise? When was the last time you were happy around a guy?" And I thought, oh, right, when you're with that guy.

He bided his time for three years, somehow read my change of heart, and asked me out a few days after I thought that. We moved in together a few months later.

Not romantic at all in the traditional sense but I think that he waited around three years for me while I dated other guys and slept with him in between is pretty amazing actually.
    Yeah, that is amazing and so sweet. I think it's pretty romantic! Sounds like he really had you figured out before you had yourself figured out. 

• H and I went to high school together but didn't know each other personally. I knew of him, because of who he was dating, and he had no idea I existed. I thought he was cute but that's about it.

Flash forward 7 years and I'm living with one of my girlfriends, working two shitty jobs and recovering from an awful breakup. I was working at my part time job at Wegmans and saw H with his parents getting dinner. I immediately gushed to my coworker about how cute he was and how I went to high school with him and squee'd the whole time while trying not to be obvious.

Shortly after that, I find out that my roommate and her older sister are pretty good friends with him. I begged them to set me up with him, nothing serious, basically just wanted to hook up because I thought he was insanely cute and needed a rebound. Apparently my roommate's older sister took it seriously and a few weeks later, my roommate came home with a business card of H's that said "physical challenge" and a condom as his was of telling me that he was down to hook up.  I later found out he was very drunk when he gave her the business card and the condom.  I FB messaged him that night and said I accepted his "challenge" and we went out on a date a week later. What was supposed to be a random, one time hook up turned into us becoming instantly inseparable and married. We tend to leave out the whole "we were just trying to bang" part out when we tell people how we met.

• We met in a high school class, specifically history. I was in grade 11, he was in 12. We were also in the band together, and ended up being put in the same quartet to work on Christmas music. We became friends really fast. After a couple of weeks, we "officially" became boyfriend and girlfriend.

When we started dating, he introduced me to his parents after I was MCing our music concert. That was a hilarious meeting - his dad told me the big scar I have on my stomach from a surgery when I was 4 was from him. He was head of surgery at the time in our city. When I introduced him to my parents, my mom instantly knew who he was as she knew his dad from the hospital where she is a nurse. We had no clue our families have known each other since we were young kids, we had never met except in school.

We went to university together after we graduated, and when we finished those degrees, decided to be spontaneous and move across the country to the west coast.

Over 10 years later, and here we are married and will likely start a family in a few years.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We actually met in line at a bar, haha! I had just gotten out of a relationship and wasn't looking for anything serious (neither was he), so we "casually" dated for a loooongg time. Then one day he turns to me and says "okay so are you my girlfriend or what? I refer to you as my girlfriend to my family and friends so just wanted to let you know," or something equally romantic like that, hahaha.

Formerly martha1818

• levieenroselevieenrose member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Ooh, here's a quick story of my great-grandparents. They first met as future in-laws when my grandparents married. 

My grandfather's mother had been single for a long time. Eventually, my grandmother's mother passed away. When my mom was about 10 or so, her mother's father and father's mother decided to get married to each other. She attended her own grandparents' wedding. They would have never met, if not for their kids' marriage!

• Oh man, @lyndausvi and @beethery, those made me laugh so hard. 

• FI and I met through friends - my friend was dating his friend. When we met I was dating a terrible, terrible person long-distance. We threw a party at my house in college and my friend brought him... He spent the whole night nonchalantly convincing me that long-distance is bad (it's not necessarily, we actually did long distance for awhile after that!) 

I ended up breaking up with my boyfriend about a week or two after that for unrelated reasons, and as soon as FI found out I was single we made plans to hang out. 

That was 5 years ago and we are getting married in 3 months!
  • We met on Match in December, which was right before my birthday, Christmas, his birthday, and New Years. I wanted to wait until after all of that stuff to have our first date because the pressure of meeting basically on one of those days was too much. We messaged back and forth for a while, then moved to talking on the phone.

We had our first date on January 5. He drove the hour to where I lived and we had lunch, saw a movie and then had dessert and talked at Denny's for a few hours afterwards. Our second date was the next Saturday, and lasted over 8 hours. We went ice skating, had lunch, went bowling, walked around a park, and ended up talking at the same Denny's for hours. It was the best date ever, and I told my family after that I was going to marry him. And I was right!

We actually spent every weekend together after that first date. It was a great way to start the new year!
  • In HS. I was in Grade 11, he was in grade 12. I went on a date with his cousin, and thats how we actually met lol.
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    On a Sunday, drunk at a bar, watching NFL football.

I told him I wasn't going home with him.  I did.   He threw up on my couch.  The next morning he left without getting my phone number.    Then has he was walking home it started pouring down rain.  Haha.

Then I went to check my email.   Some how that little fucker broke the charger on my laptop.  The one that was JUST fixed after taking 6 WEEKS to get a new one in the islands.   I was PISSED!

I get to work. We worked at the same place, but the resort was going through a reno. I wasn't working much and he was new and we just had not connected yet.    I see him at the EDR and I yell "I can deal with a one night stand, I can deal with you throwing up on my couch, I can even deal with you not even pretending you are going to call me again.  BUT HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MANAGE TO BREAK MY CHARGER THAT JUST TOOK 6 WEEKS TO GET HERE".   Then I stormed away.

DH went to his BF who was his boss to and said "I'm going to marry her."

After I calmed down I did end up helping get his car registered. Which is no easy feet and with his stereotypical NYC  attitude, yeah, it would not have been good.  Seriously getting a car registered is hard enough.  Getting one registered that was shipped in from the states is a nightmare.

Rest is history.
    This is my favorite story.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Mutual friend fix up!

I actually told him I was falling for him after a month and he got all freaked out and broke up with me. A month later he called me and said he made the biggest mistake ever, and that he was falling for me too and it just was moving so fast it scared him. I accepted and went back out with him and I told my best friend either this is going to be the worst decision of my life, or this is going to be my husband!

• @cupcait927, I love that Wegmans ultimately helped bring you together. I grew up in the suburbs of Rochester, and I really miss that place.

Wegmans was so awesome that I had friends who met up for a prom after-party there. They showed up in a limo and were still dressed to the nines...

• @lyndausvi that is my new favorite "how you met" story
  • We met in Nashville, while I was there for a bachelorette party, and he was there (very last minute decision/invite) for a bachelor party.  We just so happened to run into his group at a bar, and hung out the rest of the night!

We exchanged numbers that night, and I texted him the next day.  We started talking on the phone and had such a crazy connection... a month or so later decided to meet again! We did long distance for a few months before he moved to Columbus to be with me... a few months after that we found out we were pregnant! (I'm in the 1% who gets pregnant on Depo apparently).  Almost 4 years later here we are!
  • @cupcait927, I love that Wegmans ultimately helped bring you together. I grew up in the suburbs of Rochester, and I really miss that place.

Wegmans was so awesome that I had friends who met up for a prom after-party there. They showed up in a limo and were still dressed to the nines...
    No joke, we had our limo bring us to wegmans one year after prom so that we could get snacks before going to the after party. I hated working there (because customer services jobs suck no matter where you work) but I can never live anywhere that doesn't have a Wegmans.
  • We met our first week, freshman year in college. I was hanging out with my roomate and suitmate (now my bridesmaids)! and this kid who had a crush on me, we went to the campus Burger King. I noticed FI and 2 friends walk in, the guy we were with saw me glance at them, and flipped out. He called FI and the gys over to embarass us, and FI's friend at the time (he looked just like Steve Urkel, no lie) looks at us and says "Hello ladies. My roomate is not around. Do you want to come back to my room and watch some DVDs?"

So at this point I'm annoyed and creped out. I tell them we're just going back to the dorm, and Urkel says "We'll walk you!" They proceed to follow us, and FI later tells me he and the other friend were mortified at this point, and too embarrassed to say anything. So, we get to the top of the stairs, I feel kinda rude, and ask FI for his room # and tell him we would call them. This was mostly to stop them from following us. FI was like "You're asking me for my number??" and I was like "Sure, why not?" Even though I totally meant it in the most casual way. We kept bumping into each other after that as it turned out we lived in the same dorm. A few nights later we realized they weren't creeps so we all went to dinner and played football. That first night after we played football, like 3-4 days after we met, FI slept over (literally slept, no "hanky panky" as someone loves to say) and the rest is history. 

FI and I actually slept together every single night in college, and in those tiny twin beds for the first 3 years. We still have no idea how we managed to survive that, haha.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards