Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Wedding Supper...open to all but only immediate family is paid for - any ideas?

Re: Wedding Supper...open to all but only immediate family is paid for - any ideas?

• Options
    How are people not more embarrassed when they post shit like this? Seriously, if I knew someone who did this in real life I'd be so embarrassed for them. Do people just have no shame or decency anymore?

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Nope. 
    The same rule applies as applied at pre school. If you don't have enough to share with everybody, you don't have it. Basic life etiquette.

You don't offer something to one group of guests, and have another group of guests wondering why they didn't make the cut.

Slightly off-topic:
    I find the word "supper" peculiar. I wonder if the use of dinner vs. supper is a regional thing. 
  • Options

Nope. 

The same rule applies as applied at pre school. If you don't have enough to share with everybody, you don't have it. Basic life etiquette.

You don't offer something to one group of guests, and have another group of guests wondering why they didn't make the cut.

Slightly off-topic:
    I find the word "supper" peculiar. I wonder if the use of dinner vs. supper is a regional thing. 
    My grandmother from Missouri (Missuruh) always said supper instead of dinner.  She also said "warsh" for wash and "Tuesdee and Thursdee".  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options

Nope. 

Slightly off-topic:
    My grandmother from Missouri (Missuruh) always said supper instead of dinner.  She also said "warsh" for wash and "Tuesdee and Thursdee".  
    Not sure if it's a regional thing. My grandma (also from Missouri) always said supper when it was informal, and dinner when it was an occasion, like Christmas dinner or having people over for Sunday dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    For anyone else that didn't get the Jashley reference:

The original thread was deleted, but this is a thread that recaps the crazy.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    @dallasbetch thanks - I skimmed page 1 and completely missed that little gem until you pointed it out :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 I've seen her name referenced a lot jokingly but never took the time to look at her posts. Now we know!

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options

Nope. 

Slightly off-topic:
    So funny, I was thinking the same thing. 

I've usually only seen "supper" used by southerners, while to me and everyone I've known in Michigan except my grandma who grew up in Oklahoma, it's always "dinner." But I don't like the word at all. It sounds weird to me. 

• Options

Nope. 

Slightly off-topic:
    So funny, I was thinking the same thing. 

I've usually only seen "supper" used by southerners, while to me and everyone I've known in Michigan except my grandma who grew up in Oklahoma, it's always "dinner." But I don't like the word at all. It sounds weird to me. 

All of that-I'm from michigan also and and the word supper sounds strange to me.
  • Options

Nope. 

Slightly off-topic:

My mother uses dinner  and  supper. Those meals are served at 11:30 a.m. and 5 p.m, on the dot, every day.

I say lunch and dinner.

We both grew up in Mass. I thought this was more age related than regional. I think supper is an ugly word so I don't use it.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Supper - from the anglo-saxon word for evening meal.

Dinner - from the French word for evening meal.

Supper is usually used in rural areas.  It is traditional served earlier in the evening, because those farmers have worked hard all day, and they are HUNGRY!  Think of  Snoopy, the dog, dancing in appreciation of "Supper Time!"

Dinner is usually served a bit later, and can be a bit more formal.

Either word serves the purpose.  Don't be snobs.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

CMGragain said:

Supper is usually used in rural areas.  It is traditional served earlier in the evening, because those farmers have worked hard all day, and they are HUNGRY!  Think of  Snoopy, the dog, dancing in appreciation of "Supper Time!"

Really?

This. 

But also, what exactly is snobby about finding a word, that isn't used in your area, peculiar? Nobody said "I am too high class to use the word 'supper'!"
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

• Options
    Maggie0829 your sig gif is so fucking appropriate there.
  • Options
    Heh…Wa'supper??

Dammit I want food now.

And yes, OP is full of a whole lotta bad.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Actually, I speak several European languages, and have studied Latin, so linguistics is an interest if mine.  I am a girl from rural Iowa with lots of farmer relatives.

Gee, I forgot that it was Friday, and it's time to pile on CMGr. (Yawn.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    CMGragain said:

Actually, I speak several European languages, and have studied Latin, so linguistics is an interest if mine.  I am a girl from rural Iowa with lots of farmer relatives.

Gee, I forgot that it was Friday, and it's time to pile on CMGr. (Yawn.)

Weirdly, it coincides with "CMGr says dumb shit day."
  • Options
    So, how is encouraging people to be tolerant of regional and cultural differences being a snob?  Did you even read my post?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

CMGragain said:

You've never heard of people studying linguistics...have you?

Well at least now we've found a career you haven't had.

• Options
    CMGragain said:

So, how is encouraging people to be tolerant of regional and cultural differences being a snob?  Did you even read my post?

No one was being a snob. People were commenting on the difference between them and pointing out where the two were used.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

But no one was being a snob about the word.  Did you read any of the posts?  People were just discussing that the word sounds strange to them because they don't use it and then were discussing where the word may be used.  I am not sure how that correlates to them being snobs.

Now if someone said "only hillbillies and white trash use the word supper" then that would be someone being a snob.

• Options

Did you even read ours?? Nobody said anything about being intolerant of regional or cultural differences. WE SAID WE DON'T LIKE THE WAY A FUCKING WORD SOUNDS. Here are some other words I don't like the sounds of: moist, phlegm, uvula. God I'm such a snob!

And you're not even fucking RIGHT. Yet again, just because the farmers you know in Iowa call it supper, doesn't mean all farmers say it! I know farmers in Michigan! They call it dinner! No matter what time they eat, how hungry they are, or how much they like Snoopy!

I just spit water all over my computer screen.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards