July 2016 Weddings

Wedding Dress Shopping

Has anyone started wedding dress shopping yet? I just went once last Sunday 2/22, but have another 2 appointments this Saturday, 2/28. I had a lot of fun at my first appointment, but I feel like I'm very indecisive and that it is going to take a while for me to find the dress. Has anyone else started shopping yet? How do you ladies feel about it so far?

Re: Wedding Dress Shopping

• I just found my dress a couple weekends ago!  I've been shopping since November last year and have been to 5 different dress shops.  I thought I had found "the dress" two other times until I finally ran across this one.  I am very indecisive, but each time I went, I was able to narrow down what I liked and what I didn't like.  Whenever I felt indecisive, I tried to focus on what I knew I liked or didn't like, or focus on deciding on one element of what I want, (shape, color, beading, etc.).  For me, I first decided on the shape that worked for my body, then started to look for dresses in that shape that had details I liked.  It's easy to feel overwhelmed but just remember that you can take a deep breath, a mental step back, and tell yourself that you just have to do this in your time and your way.  Everyone is different.  My FI's twin sister said that finding a dress is like finding a man.  There are going to be a lot that work for you, but in the end, you just have to pick with one that makes you happy and forget the rest.  So take your time, love yourself, and have fun!  There's no rush!

Because I'm so excited, here's my dress.  I'm having the seamstress add a corset back as part of the alterations. http://watters.com/Product/WtooBrides/11316/

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That dress is beautiful! Thanks for the advice! I just went again this past Saturday and found a dress I really love, but I'm nervous to commit since my wedding is still far out. I'm glad I'm not the only one dress shopping though and possibly finding their dress! This makes me feel much better about possibly getting the dress I found last weekend!
  • You could always give it some time and thought while you try on some other dresses that are similar to the one you like.  Doing that helped me narrow down what I didn't like and confirmed why I liked the dress I ultimately chose.  I'd love to see a pic once you decide!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's what I was planning on doing as well, just to ensure I am making the right choice I have already made a few other appointments at some other bridal boutiques. I will definitely post a picture, once I decide. Thank you for sharing yours with me and helping me out!
  • @jenidubbs that dress is amazing, and actually very similar to what I want to wear! I am totally bookmarking that one :)

@CPratt22 I haven't started dress shopping yet, but I have been getting ideas online. I plan to start looking this July, as I am also hoping to lose some weight prior to trying them on. I didn't want to start too early for fear of dress regret, it being discontinued, etc. 

• AuroraRose41: I was too anxious not too. A year our is a good time to start! You have more patience than me. lol.
  • @AuroraRose41 Thank you!  It was just discontinued so I bought the sample (and got a really great deal as a bonus).  The sample fits but is a little tighter in some places than I would like, so I am having the seamstress add a corset to the back.  This will allow me to gain or lose some weight between now and the wedding and the dress will still fit well.  Make sure to post a pic of yours once you decide!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to a small shop near me at the beginning of March to specifically try on one of the Alfred Angelo Disney dresses I had been looking at for about the past 3 years. It was so pretty and I looked really good in it; but something was off about it to me ( I was also sick at the time and there were too many people in the shop so I felt really overwhelmed). The girl helping me suggested that I come back in a few weeks on a weekday when it was less crowded. She also said that an image tends to stay in our heads for about 21 days so that I should try to come back within that time period, which was actually really good advice. Then I went back last week during the week, there was noone there and I got to take my time and look through the racks and be more patient about all of it. I knew I wanted a poofy tulle dress but was having a hard time finding one that was the right amount of poof that I wanted. I was also wanting a dress with a high lace neck and sleeves that end at the shoulder; I never saw any with both tulle and a neck/sleeves. I tried on one with the neck/sleeves that I wanted and then we found out that it is not attached to the dress, it is a jacket and it can be bought as a separate piece. So then I wanted to try it on with all of the tulle dresses that I liked. I finally found one that looks amazing with and without the lace part. I am going back this week to try it on again and order it!

Daisypath Wedding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • I bought my dress already! I have it safely stowed away at a neighbor's. I wasn't planning on purchasing it with so much time to go before the wedding but I purchased it before we had to change our November 2015 wedding date to July 2016. My father is military and we transplanted to a base several states away from our home state a couple years ago and we just haven't left. Living around a base means there are a LOT of military wives/brides who buy dresses and then wind up not being able to wear/use them for one reason or another. I bought my dress brand new with tags from someone who had bought it but was unable to wear it (thankfully it was for a good reason!--she was pregnant!) so I got it for $250 instead of the $1100 that it retails for at David's Bridal. I absolutely love it. It's in the right color (ivory) and is a size 14 when I wear a 12 but that makes it even better, having it in a size bigger makes me more confident in alterations. I do have to have it altered but 99% of the alterations had to be done anyway. It's awesome!

• I want a tea length dress. 3rd (gasp) marriage and will be over 50 (gassssspppp). I have never had a wedding dress though, so am doing it. Getting married in Vegas in July so will be hot and getting married and reception in an Irish pub. But seems that tea length is not something anyone keeps in stock. Went to bridal expo and won a pair of shoes from a salon, so going there in a few weeks to  try on dresses, but zero tea length. So lesson learned, going to make phone calls before I go anywhere. But super excited to go shopping for a dress!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @jenni5672 I was looking for a short or tea length dress initially and had a hard time finding salons that actually had them too. I thought that it was becoming a more popular thing so I figured more places would have them but I guess not.
    Good luck on your search!

Daisypath Wedding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • How is everyone's shopping going? Anybody find anything? 
  • Bought my dress this week. NOTHING like I thought I wanted. I am getting married for third ~ gasp~ time. Never had a dress though. I am 50 and we are getting married in Vegas. So it is going to be hot. I wanted a tea length dress. Stores had very few to try on. All suggested longer dress to cut off. Which I was not a fan of. And I they seemed so not age appropriate either for some reason  I ended up with a long column dress in ivory. Not as thin as the model is, but looks pretty good on me. 
    Image result for galina smith wedding dresses srl642Image result for galina smith wedding dresses srl642

Now to keep it a secret from FH. Soo hard not to show him. He wanted sexy over sweet,so so excited for him to see it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards