Chit Chat

-cue mega eyeroll-

I was innocently scrolling through facebook when the title, "A Camp-Themed Wedding With A No Cell-Phone Policy" caught my attention. First page reads, "This is a wedding done right. Miles and Mya decided to tie the knot at the gorgeous Farm and Wilderness Summer Camp in Vermont, which Miles attended as a kid. It was a three-day affair full of swimming, hiking, campfires, square dancing, music-making, and simply enjoying the company of friends and family. It was also a completely unplugged wedding, which means cell phones were forbidden the whole weekend." 

Give me a freaking break. I wonder if guests notified that they would be treated like children who just lost their cell phone privileges for the entire weekend? Surely someone told them, "it's your special day! Confiscate those phones if you want to"! NO TO ALL OF THIS, WTF. 

Only my strongest "NO" gifs apply:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: -cue mega eyeroll-

• It'd be one thing if your phone simply didn't receive service there but a POLICY? FFS- Noooooo!
  • edited June 2015
  • edited June 2015
  • Fuck all that.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Yeah like, if they unintentially picked out the venue and then realized there was no cell phone service when they got up there, that's totally different. But a no cell phone policy? Eat shit.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• This is fucking stupid and insanely ridiculous. And H and I hike/camp/climb most weekends but there's no way in hell would I do this wedding.

• I didn't click because my blood pressure would've gone through the roof. We've all heard a lot of really dumb ideas but that is pretty much the dumbest. 
  • Like I SORT OF get it for a ceremony. It's still a bad idea, but I can understand the thought process that happens when brides see this idea, are already obsessing over every little detail, and think it's okay. And I wasn't planning on using the phone during the ceremony anyway, except maybe to take a pic or two (SORRY I'M SO EXCITED YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED I WANTED TO TAKE A PIC OF YOU. The horror). 

But the whole weekend? Fuck that. I am not rude about my cell phone usage. I don't play with my phone when I'm supposed to be social, but at the very least I like to play with it before going to bed. And you know, three days is a fairly long stretch when emergencies could well come up. And I'm an adult that even when spending time with you will want some time to myself/with my things too. Will I have to sign in and out of the bathroom as well?  
  • Absofuckinglutely goddamnnot. No.

That sounds like the boys' camp my SB got sent to as punishment.

• You know, I'm one of the few that would totally enjoy going to a wedding like this. But forbidding me to use my phone? Nope. Wouldn't happen. No. No. No.
  • I would actually love attending a wedding like this but I would be majorly annoyed with the no cell phone request, that's just ridiculous. 

• The wedding itself looks fun! I always loved camp. But fuck you if you think you're confiscating my phone, this isn't middle school homeroom. Your'e not as important as you think you are.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • FiancB said:

Like I SORT OF get it for a ceremony. It's still a bad idea, but I can understand the thought process that happens when brides see this idea, are already obsessing over every little detail, and think it's okay. And I wasn't planning on using the phone during the ceremony anyway, except maybe to take a pic or two (SORRY I'M SO EXCITED YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED I WANTED TO TAKE A PIC OF YOU. The horror). 

But the whole weekend? Fuck that. I am not rude about my cell phone usage. I don't play with my phone when I'm supposed to be social, but at the very least I like to play with it before going to bed. And you know, three days is a fairly long stretch when emergencies could well come up. And I'm an adult that even when spending time with you will want some time to myself/with my things too. Will I have to sign in and out of the bathroom as well?  
    Totally. I wouldn't have it out during the wedding (other than picture taking), and it would be on silent. When socializing all weekend, I'd have it on vibrate so people could reach me without serenading everyone with my awesome Harry Potter ring tone.

I'm really good about keeping my phone away when talking to people. I don't sit there and browse Facebook when we're hanging out by a campfire or something. I like to catch up on that stuff later, though, when I'm getting ready for bed, or even when I'm just hanging out on my own in a hammock and my phone usage doesn't require ignoring someone.

I think this sounds like an awesome wedding weekend. I love camping. I'd draw the line at giving up my phone, though. 
  • Oh my gosh that's disgusting. But actually I have been to a wedding kind of like that at a camp/retreat center in the Texas Hill Country. Phones weren't forbidden, but the venue was out in bumfuck nowhere with no cell coverage, and internet only in one building. Despite that frustration, it seemed like the guests did actually enjoy the location and have fun with the available activities.

But telling guests they can't have their phone?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Declines with pleasure.
  • I would have been out at three days at a scout camp, cell phones or no.  I enjoy bathing, especially before attending a wedding.  And grown-up beds are good too.
  • What in the jesus fuck is wrong with people?

Do I think it's healthy to take a break from cell phones? Yup. Do I do it on my own sometimes? Yup. Do I resent the fuck out of it when someone decides that they know what's best for me and forbid me to use my phone? FUCK YUP!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • They lost me at "three day affair."
  • lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Heffalump said:

They lost me at "three day affair."

SITB

I was lost at "Farm" and "Camp." Then I kept reading. Oh goodness gracious no.

Formerly martha1818

• Newp.

(I couldn't find the full Michael Scott NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO gif so this will have to do)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh hell no.

My venue had no cell reception because a lot of the rockies have spotty reception. But there was wifi. And I sure as hell didn't say no phones. They were snapping pictures all day long.

Who the hell has a three day affair anyway? Unplugged weddings make me rage.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The last place I want to be without my cell phone is any story that begins with "It was a dark night at the campsite..."
  • They were 'forbidden'? What the fuck are they going to do, take my phone away? Get the fuck outta here.
  • banana468 said:

Nope. I'll hate but will oblige an unplugged ceremony. A completely unplugged weekend to suit your wedding vision? That's going to go really well with my designer bag of go fuck yourself.

Hahahahaha, omg I love this. I can't wait to tell someone about my designer bag of go fuck yourself.
  • banana468 said:

Nope. I'll hate but will oblige an unplugged ceremony. A completely unplugged weekend to suit your wedding vision? That's going to go really well with my designer bag of go fuck yourself.

Hahahahaha, omg I love this. I can't wait to tell someone about my designer bag of go fuck yourself.
    Similar to the middle finger I keep in my pocket. "Oh wait, I have something to give you... it's in my pocket..." I'm so mature. I love that now I will be carrying around something even better
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards