Wedding Reception Forum

How do we keep our guests entertained?

edited February 2015 in Wedding Reception Forum

Edit: I've never been to a wedding before, and now I'm trying to plan my own, so I'm kind of doing this blind. Sorry, I just came up with a rough timeline on what I thought sounded right, but I gather this isn't quite right.

Re: How do we keep our guests entertained?

• Hi,

We are getting married on a Saturday at 2pm, and I'm trying to figure out how our day will pan out.

The way I see it is as follows:

2-3pm Ceremony
    3:30pm Guests arrive at reception venue
    4:30pm Food
    5:30pm Speeches

Then we've got two hours before the DJ turns up! So what do we do? It's not a venue with an outdoor section, so we can't do anything outside. And I don't want people leaving before the night gets going, but we can't really afford to shell out for more entertainment in those two hours.

Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks!

I hope "guests arrive at venue" actually means "light refreshments/cocktail hour" and then"food" means dinner so guests aren't hungrily waiting for you. Honestly, 4 hours after arriving at the reception venue, I'm on my way home (if not home already) regardless of whether or not the "night got going" yet. If you'd like your guests to enjoy the DJ, start the music around 5:00-5:30. And nix the speeches. A couple of short (1 minute or so) toasts can be done during dinner if someone volunteers, but people didn't come to sit through speeches
  • So are you not having any music at all, not even background music of some kind, for the entire reception until the DJ shows up? I've never been to a wedding where the DJ arrived that late to the party, they are usually there the entire time. And even once the DJ shows up, it's going to take him/her time to set up his equipment so you might not get anything started until closer to 8. By that point your guests have been there for over 4 hours. 

I agree with PPs, nix the speeches. They aren't speeches they are toasts and shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes total AND they can be given during the dinner. Then see if your DJ can show up earlier.
  • Why did you hire your DJ for after dinner? They should be set up and playing music when your guests arrive at the reception.
  • Wait, your DJ is not showing up until 7:30?  What the hell kind of planning is that?  Sorry but after the toasts (not speeches, no one wants to sit through speeches) I am not going to sit around for 2 hours to wait for your DJ to set up and start playing music.  In fact, I would pretty much think that your wedding was done and over with after the toasts were given.  There is really not much you can do that would make me want to sit around and wait for the dancing to start, because at that point I will be completely over your wedding.

• So you'll have no music playing at all? Or even a set up to show that music may be coming at a later time?

Can't see anyway that this can fail.

• You need some kind of music the whole time. I agree with Kim. 4 hours is plenty of time for me, and I would be heading on home, especially if there wasn't any music. And I don't even dance.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I know you came here looking for free ways to entertain your guests (honestly don't know if that's even possible for 2 whole hours without spending money) but the actual solution to your problem is to revamp your timeline. Previous posters have given good suggestions on how to do this.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Edit: I've never been to a wedding before, and now I'm trying to plan my own, so I'm kind of doing this blind. Sorry, I just came up with a rough timeline on what I thought sounded right, but I gather this isn't quite right.

Really not trying to be snarky, but this is when common sense comes into play.  Common sense would tell you that having your DJ come two hours after dinner is over with is probably not the best idea.

• So you'll have no music playing at all? Or even a set up to show that music may be coming at a later time?

Can't see anyway that this can fail.

I can't help thinking of this gif every time I see the thread title, hahaha
  • Ditto @MariePoppy.

Don't be embarrassed. (Most) people are here to help you. We all needed help when planning our own weddings.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards