New Jersey

Hilariously Low Budget - help?

Hey Knotties, 

So I'm a grad student and my parents will be footing the majority of the bill. I asked them what price point I should be looking for and they said $65pp for 100-120 people. I've been looking at venues for a couple of months and the lowest I've seen is around $85pp. I'm open to Friday and Sunday, and I live in Middlesex county but I am willing to travel up to an hour away. Are there any suggestions as to venues you  might have? This whole "money" thing has totally crushed my dream wedding (rustic, outdoors, DIY) and I guess I will have to go with something all-inclusive. If there is any possibility for a more out of the box place I haven't looked into, please let me know.

Thanks for the help! 

Re: Hilariously Low Budget - help?

• What places have you already looked at so that we don't recommend the same ones to you.

And to be quite honest, you can always turn down your parents offer and save the money yourselves to have the wedding you want.  Just remember, whoever pays, has a say.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is that including tax and service charge or not?  If it's not including tax/service, the Bridgewater Manor has Saturday afternoons in 2015 for $74 or any day in December for $74 if you can chip in the difference or cut somewhere else.  Perhaps worth a call to see what the restrictions are.  If it is, I think it's going to very difficult to find a "traditional" wedding venue.

Call around to other hotels too.  Look into renting out a location and bring in a caterer.  Perhaps you can rent out a restaurant.  Look into off season, off days and off times......a Sunday afternoon in November will usually be cheaper than a Saturday evening in September.  Good luck!
  • edited March 2015
    ohmrs2014 - This is true. I have been thinking of just doing the courthouse thing until we can afford the wedding we want, but I wanted to see what was out there. I've mostly been using Wedding Spot, Wedding Bee and The Knot's boards to get an idea of how much popular venues cost, like the Crossed Keys Inn, Perona Farms, etc. 

JoanE2012 - Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to give them a call during the week and see what they say. I do believe that my parents estimate included everything. I got a quote from Twin Oaks - they usually cater Rutgers Gardens - and they said they were ripping me off at $75pp. I'm a Rutgers alum so that's my ideal spot, but I'm going to keep looking around. I don't think my parents have any idea how much it costs to get married these days and I don't know how to gently tell them their estimate is way low.
  • You could always save up some money and add to your parents offer.  Ok, they offered $65pp, save up some money and make it $100pp.  There are ways to do it.  

But please, please don't get married at the court house and then "save for the wedding you want."  When you get married at the court house, you are already married, thats your wedding day.  Anything after that, especially if your guests don't know they are attending a wedding of two people who are already married is just rude.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • try the mansion at brenton woods..
  • ohmrs2014 said:

You could always save up some money and add to your parents offer.  Ok, they offered $65pp, save up some money and make it $100pp.  There are ways to do it.  

But please, please don't get married at the court house and then "save for the wedding you want."  When you get married at the court house, you are already married, thats your wedding day.  Anything after that, especially if your guests don't know they are attending a wedding of two people who are already married is just rude.
    Agree with all of this.  I think your parents don't understand the wedding costs today.  That said, it's not required that your parents pay for your wedding.  If a venue costs $100 all in, you and your FI can contribute the extra $25 per person.   If you can't afford that, continue saving until you can.

But definitely don't do a courthouse wedding and then have a "real" wedding later.  That's called a PPD - pretty princess day.  You get one day and if you choose a courthouse wedding, that's fine!  But don't try and recreate that day sometime in the future.  Part of being an adult is accepting the choices you make.  Choose carefully so you have no regrets!

• try the empire club in little fairy. I remember their prices were very reasonable!
  • Do your parents really know what weddings in this area cost. I would discuss that with them first. Maybe they're saying 65pp because they think that's a good price to get a lavish wedding. You could also see if they want to just give you one lump sum to spend however you'd like. My father did that with us. He said here's this amount and do with it what you will. He didn't care if we just eloped and kept it or if I spent it just on a fancy dress for me. We got to do exactly what we wanted.
  • I've been looking around a lot. check out the bethwood in totowa - 65 per person including cake etc
  • I hear you with the tight budget.. because I am on one as well.  I've found that many of the places that hold weddings also have banquet options that are much cheaper per person, but still provide a good amount of food and some even with an open bar option!  I was skeptical about asking if venues would do a banquet menu for a wedding but I found that once I called around most places said YES! So look into those options at the places that you have been considering.  You will be surprised to find a whole range of new options for your big day! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards