Honeymoon Discussions

Sandals Grande Riveria,Jamaica--What to pack?

My fiance and I are going to Sandals Grande Riviera in Jamaica from April 27th and leaving May 3rd. Neither of us travel that often and when we do its only for an overnight trip to my parents, or a few hrs away to Frankenmuth for the Christmas store, or when he was in the military and his packing was pretty self explanatory.

For those that have either gone specifically to Sandals Grande Riviera or any of the other Jamaica sandals, what did you all pack? Did any of the restaurants require any formal attire? I know most of the time will be spent on the beach,pool so swimsuits are a must.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sandals Grande Riveria,Jamaica--What to pack?

• We didn't stay there but we did go to an all inclusive in Jamaica for our honeymoon. My husband and I are the kings of packing light, we refuse to ever check a bag. So I brought a carry on size roller with about 5 bathing suits, 3 sundresses, 2 shorts, 7 tank tops, flip flops (I wore sneakers). And I honestly didn't even wear it all. I never bring heels on vacation but that's just me. Most of those hotels have one fancy dining room that we just skip because to us its not worth packing the extra clothing. We find there is always plenty of casual options for food and that's OK with us.

• @jenna8984 I don't wear heels at all, and would probably wear sneakers on the plane as well just in case I had to do some running in the airport. I'm horrible at packing, just going out to Colorado, I pack 2 bags and that is me flying solo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • allispainallispain member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    No need for heels or anything, but some of the Sandals restaurants do require men to wear closed-toed shoes, and sneakers don't count. I would have your FI pack one pair of nicer shoes just in case - and as long as you have a pair of sandals that aren't flip flops, you should be fine. We were in Montego Bay, so we actually had restaurants at 3 different resorts to choose from - we ate at the more formal ones all but 1 night out of 6, but we could have chosen to not eat at any of them had we wanted to. The ones that want formal attire tend to be the ones with a more specific menu (in our case, the Thai one, the Italian one, the French one, etc.) while the informal places were the pubs and the ones with a broader menu to choose from.

Also, you shouldn't need anything formal for lunch whatsoever - there are buffet-style places to choose from at the resorts, and we also had pizza places right on the beach, for example, where all you needed was to put on a cover-up over your swimsuit.

ETA: spelling
  • Have your FI pack a pair of long pants and closed toe shoes. My FI just wears them every night when needed no biggie. The hotel website should have some info on restaurant dress code and if not then check trip advisor to see if pants are needed

If it's an all inclusive recommend bringing a big insulated cup (like a Bubba mug) much better to have drinks in there to stay cold then the cups at the resort that melt right away. We put ice water in them in the morning for the beach and it stays cold for hours
  • At sandals Whitehouse now for 6 nights.

Hubs has one nice pair of pants (only needed at one resturant here, kaki shorts are fine for all others) two nice shirts (I use the tub and wash in between wearing a if needed) and one pair of closed toe shoes. Other than that, he has a couple tank tops a couple pairs of shorts a tshirt sandals and his running gear and yes, of course his swim trunks.

I have two sundresses, a couple pairs of shorts a couple tank tops, some undies, a bra, a couple pairs of socks, sneakers, white ballet flats for dinner and flip flops, plus two bikinis and a cover up.

In all the years we've been coming to sandals we've learned to scale down the packing. We find that we mostly live in our swim gear and bare feet.

Depending on what excursions we do we may need socks and sneakers.

We also have insulated mugs and beach towel clips (new to this year).
  • @monkeygirl18 what do you do about traveling with toiletries? Do you bring full size, travel size or wait until you get to your destination? I know you've done quite a few sandals!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What type of toiletries?

Sandals provides shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion and bar soap.

I bring travel size toothpaste, travel size shaving cream, tooth brushes, razor, conditiner from my nice and easy hair dye that I use as a "frizz gel", travel size hand sanitizer, travel size dish soap for our snorkel masks (stops them from fogging)feminine products, full size small bottle of ibuprofen, full size sun tan lotion (usually 2-3 bottles as its really expensive on the resort), full size bottle of aloe gel and a few other odds and ends.

We are both low maintenance :) so we try to go as minimalistic as possible.
  • When we went, the sunblock at Walmart was $12 and the same sunblock on the resort was $15. So it was worth it for us to buy 3 bottles at the hotel instead of paying the check bag fees. 

• I was meaning the toothpaste and that sort of thing, as in did you bring your own shampoo or did you just use what the resort provided, I know some people are sticklers when it comes to that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I use the resorts shampoo and conditiner. I actually like it better than what I use at home
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards