Chit Chat
Options

Bummer, dude...(update)

blabla89blabla89 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited March 2015 in Chit Chat
I had a phone interview today for a new position at my company, which is basically the next step up from the job I do now. It's a newly created position, and they're only hiring one person for it in the foreseeable future. Before that, there wasn't another position I was qualified for, so this looked like a golden opportunity. It seems like I'm a great fit for it, fully qualified, and already know the team and the clients. The guy who interviewed me, a senior VP in our department, knows me well and has always been impressed with my work.

I thought the phone interview went very well, but the VP ended the interview by telling me that they've already interviewed a number of internal and external candidates "including one really strong candidate" and they hope to make a decision this week. Womp womp. Then he gave me the "We all really like you and hope you don't quit because you didn't get the job" pep talk. I know it was well intended and sincere, and I should appreciate knowing that all my superiors hold me in high regard, but it felt like a punch in the stomach. This really stinks.

Wine and puppy gifs please??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bummer, dude...(update)

• Options

BTW, when I googled "wine gifs" Google actually googled "wine gift baskets" which you also deserve :)

• Options
    http://puppygifs.tumblr.com/

Don't say I never did anything for ya.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

But look at your signature ticker ... two months from today you'll be married to the most awesome person in the world!!!
  • Options
    Hang in there.  Don't be too bummed, either.  I'm a manager at a meeting-planning company, and honestly- it's always looked well upon when someone goes out for a new position.  Even if they don't get the job, it shows they are looking to grow with the company, and want to learn more.  It will speak well of you, even if you don't get the job, trust me :)

That being said...

• Options
    Lowell14Lowell14 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    Ugh. I'm sorry. 

I can commiserate with you on this one. When I was doing customer service at a hotel in a resort, the HR department kept telling me that with my college degree and whatnot, all I had to do was wait for a better position to open up (cuz man that job was a nightmare) and then apply, and they were "waiting anxiously" to see me move up because I had "so much potential." 

Well, a really good position opened up that would have been perfect for me, involved a ton of responsibility in a field I would be much better at, plus a huge pay increase (which isn't saying much because I was making like $9 an hour) so I applied. I had been waiting 8 months at that point for a position to open, after HR told me I'd only have to wait 3 months tops. 

The interview went great, I waited for a response, and the guy who interviewed me -- a Big Important Dude at the resort-- called me in my office to let me know he thought I was great and I ALMOST made the cut, but he ended up picking someone with more experience instead, even though he was so impressed with my resume and college degree and yada yada. I really didn't need the pity speech but ok. To rub salt in the wound, he offered me a consolation prize-- a position as a hostess at one of his restaurants. Thanks asshole.  

*And disclaimer, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a hostess, but I had the false impression that a college degree would get me started in the industry I wanted to be in, and I applied for a pretty decent corporate position, and was then offered a hostess gig instead. Nope. 

So here, this is for you: 
  • Options

But look at your signature ticker ... two months from today you'll be married to the most awesome person in the world!!!
    Which is the only thing that matters. Career be damned!

Well, duh!  A woman can only belong to one entity at a time!  Who needs a job when you have a hubby?

• Options

Finish that giant bottle. Then sober up. Then start applying at other companies, bro. 

All the "regard" in the world doesn't do shit when you're looking to move on up in the world. If you don't get this gig (and who knows, maybe your boss was just doing the "make 'em sweat" bullshit and you will get it), it just shows that maybe this company isn't the one where your next step will be. Go out and find someone who "appreciates" your value in the only way that matters: With dollars.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

Well, duh!  A woman can only belong to one entity at a time!  Who needs a job when you have a hubby?
    See I did it wrong. I have a wife so I gotta keep working!

Your wife is not legitimate.

• Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    MagicInk said:

See I did it wrong. I have a wife so I gotta keep working!

But which one of you is the dude??????????? That's how it works right??? The other one shouldn't have to work! 
  • Options

I'm just saying that I noticed that and it may cheer up OP to know that something else awesome is just around the corner.
  • Options

I'm just saying that I noticed that and it may cheer up OP to know that something else awesome is just around the corner.

It did make me smile. FI has been super sweet and encouraging through months of (mostly fruitless) job searching. I'm so lucky I get to marry him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 said:

It did make me smile. FI has been super sweet and encouraging through months of (mostly fruitless) job searching. I'm so lucky I get to marry him.

I'm glad.  Hang in there; I know something awesome will work out for you professionally.  In the meantime, don't you need to go taste some more cake and wine to make sure your guests stay happy?  I think you should go double-check to make sure they are good ....

• Options
    I decided to work from home today because I'm not feeling well. My supervisor called to tell me that someone else from our group had been hired for the position. That was nice of her and spared me the awkwardness of being called into the director's office to be told about it. I'm really happy for my coworker and I do think they made the right choice. She has more experience in the field than I do, and she's really good at her job. Still though, I'm a little disappointed about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Well, I'm glad to hear that you "approve" of the person who gave you the job.  I'd be totally pissed if they gave it to a moron.  And I'm glad they were tactful in sharing the news.

In the meantime, hugs and wine.

• Options
    It could be worse.  Your company could've lost over $1 mil last year (pretty bad for a company that employs less than 10 people...) and laid you off.

So yeah, I'm TKing from bed instead of an office for now.
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    blabla89 said:

I decided to work from home today because I'm not feeling well. My supervisor called to tell me that someone else from our group had been hired for the position. That was nice of her and spared me the awkwardness of being called into the director's office to be told about it. I'm really happy for my coworker and I do think they made the right choice. She has more experience in the field than I do, and she's really good at her job. Still though, I'm a little disappointed about it.

It's completely okay to be happy for someone else but still sad for your self!

All the wine!

• Options

It could be worse.  Your company could've lost over $1 mil last year (pretty bad for a company that employs less than 10 people...) and laid you off.

So yeah, I'm TKing from bed instead of an office for now.
    I get that you're trying to bring some perspective to this, but don't do the one-upping thing. She can feel bad about her situation too, despite the fact that it's not as bad as other situations. 

OP, I'm sorry :( That's a bummer, but you seem like a really sharp lady so this is definitely not the "end of the road" for you! Hugs and wine 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards