Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Dance Lessons

I'm really not sure where to post this...so hopefully this is right.
Did you take dance lessons with either your FI or your father prior to your wedding? If so, how far out from your wedding would you recommend starting, and how often would you recommend? We are long distance right now, so I'm just wondering if we should start squeezing in some lessons when we do see each other.
My parents currently take lessons (for fun), so my dad and I can probably get away with one or two with their dance instructor and he can lead me the rest of the way. But FI and I, not the best dancers.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dance Lessons

• edited March 2015
    I'm taking dance lessons with my FI but we're not learning a choreographed dance.  We're learning how to do different kinds of dances (i.e. swing, waltz, fox trot).  I watched some videos the dance instructor had of previous students first dances/father daughter dances and, in my opinion, the best ones were when the couple didn't have a strict choreography routine to the music.

ETA:
    Huh, I just realized I didn't even answer your question (d'oh!).  I'm 8 months out from my wedding.  We're doing it more for hobby than because we need to, you could probably go a month or two before and still come out feeling more comfortable about dancing.
  • Every time I've ever seen a choreographed first dance, it always looks super awkward and forced.  Our first dance (even though we only danced a quarter of it alone) was the most romantic experience of my life.  If we had choreographed something, we wouldn't have been focused on each other.  You 100% do not have to dance well.  Just sway and absorb the moment. 
  • To clarify - I'm not thinking choreographed, because it does look super weird. I just don't wan't to look like an idiot in front of everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We planned on it, but we never got around to it. So we just did the hold each other and sway and it was fine. 
  • FI and I are taking a few dance lessons.  We aren't doing a choreographed dance, but like you said, we don't want to look like idiots.  We got a Groupon for 2 group dance classes, 2 private dance lessons, and 2 assisted practice sessions.  Certainly not enough to learn anything choreographed, but it should be enough for us to pick up a few basics
  • H and didn't take dance lessons. We just did the old school, sway, and occasionally turn. 

If you want to do lessons, I would start about 3 months out.

• My husband and I are actually ballroom dance instructors so we didn't have to worry about this, but I have taught many wedding couple their first dance. I always recommend starting a few months away from your wedding because things get so busy close up! I had many couples who bought packages and tried to plan a few lessons in the weeks right before the wedding and never made it in for all their lessons! Three months at the latest, but you could get started right now. Groupon usully had deals for Ballroom places, and if not a lot of studios will give a free introductory lesson, or a discounted intro lesson so you can get your feet wet and see how it works. Also be sure to bring your song so they know what dance to teach you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards