Not Engaged Yet
Options

Terrible Idea Tuesday

Since there is no daily post yet, I'll start one. Mostly because I want to vent about my BF.

My BF last night decided to start telling me about how he's been reading about 9/11 and how some stuff "doesn't add up". He's not saying it's an inside job, he's just thinking it's weird that some coincidences have been identified. I told him that most of those "coincidences" were probably made up, and "Babe, please do not go down that rabbit hole". He always agreed with what I said, and yet he still spent a good chunk of last night reading articles about trillions of dollars "disappearing" from the defense budget or something along those lines. I really just need him to never bring it up again, which I'm sure he won't. It was his interesting topic of the night. He comes up with those a lot, although they are never that crazy.

He also thinks living near power lines will give you cancer, which, as a power systems engineer, I know is false. This is another topic I don't bring up anymore.

But anyways, what are some terrible ideas your SO has come up with? Awesome ways to fix/do things? Believing in something you find ridiculous?

Did you ever believe in something for a long time only to find out later it was false?

Re: Terrible Idea Tuesday

• Options
    Tell him to read up on confirmation bias before going any further with that conspiracy mess! I have a coworker who is ALWAYS talking about the illuminati and 9/11 conspiracies.

As for Terrible Idea Tuesday (great name btw!):
    Two years ago my BF, who is a high school fencing coach, prayed to God to let his team win county championships. He inherited a team that had no experience and didn't have a coach who actually fences until he came along, so they pretty much sucked. His "deal" with God was that if they won he would shave his head. I told him that's not how God works and he said "eh". He's not a religious person. So anyway, two years later he has turned his team into winners, both boys and girls team won county campionships and SUDDENLY he remembered his head shaving deal with God. And now I sit in fear every day wondering if today's the day his wonderful head of thick hair is gone. Thankfully my birthday is tomorrow and he promised he wouldn't lol.
  • Options
    @untouchablets - Maybe that's why Britney Spears shaved her head. And she has a show in Vegas now!

• Options
    A few years ago we went camping for a friend's birthday. We were looking for a spot we had camped at before but were having trouble finding it. Then the friend thinks she found the spot. Well the spot she found and is insistent on using is down a very steep hill. I tell her and BF there's no way his car is going to make it back up the hill. But they both are insistent that it will be fine blah, blah, blah. Well it wasn't the spot we were looking for (which is fine) but I was right and BF's car couldn't make it back up. Luckily one of the other friends we were camping with brought a jeep and could pull it up but I was so pissed. Now BF listens to me about things like that.

• Options

H has a conspiracy theory about nearly everything. He believes in aliens too when he watches those shows about how crop circles/rock formations/etc formed and he believes in ghosts....he takes the dog downstairs with him when he washes laundry because of it, which I think is hilarious and the dog thinks is confusing.  Most recently he swore a ghost gave our dog the whole cooked chicken the dog ate because the plastic container it was sitting in on the counter was not disturbed at all but the chicken was gone...instead of realizing that the dog is taller than me standing up on his hind legs and could easily lift the chicken.  That said, someone who knows the previous owner of our house said it was haunted so you never know.  ;)

• Options

Oh man. One of SO's friends is totally like that. Conspiracy theories like crazy. He even believes in the lizard people, like george bush? I dunno it's weird. He's a super nice person, but I don't talk about anything like that haha.

• Options

@bethsmiles - I swear that camping truly brings out the stupid in men sometimes. God forbid someone has a gas can in their car and the fire isn't starting easily enough. *shudder*

@minskat30 - I'm so glad your H has the dog there to protect him. ;)

@teddygirl9 - I think watching House of Cards is making my BF trust the government less and less, haha! Although I don't know what the lizard people thing is. If he starts talking about lizard people, I'll really have to start to worry!

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    These stories are hilarious, especially @minskat30's! I'm dying!

I don't think H or I have anything weird or crazy we believe in. My grandma told us ghost stories when we were growing up and my uncle and his family all believe in ghosts. My uncle and my cousin's husband both SWEAR that my house is haunted by my grandma in fact. If this were true, it'd actually be kind of cool. I think of her as being a benign and helpful but maybe slightly devious ghost.

• Options
    One of FI's friends identifies as Christian but believes humans are alien experiments. Riddle me that!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @AlPacina - Camping really does. Luckily that is BF's one and only stupid camping moment. But I swear when we go with certain friends it's like we have to turn into their parents!

• Options
    labro said:

I don't think H or I have anything weird or crazy we believe in. My grandma told us ghost stories when we were growing up and my uncle and his family all believe in ghosts. My uncle and my cousin's husband both SWEAR that my house is haunted by my grandma in fact. If this were true, it'd actually be kind of cool. I think of her as being a benign and helpful but maybe slightly devious ghost.
    When my mom and aunt were growing up their grandmother told them the body of their dad's sister who drowned when she was 5 was in the attic. They believed this well into their 30s. I have no idea what the hell was wrong with my great-grandma that she would tell them this.

• Options
    My dad used to take me and my siblings on ghost hunts. Like legit ones with the EVP recorders and cameras in complete darkness. We could have had a TV special lol
  • Options

labro said:

When my mom and aunt were growing up their grandmother told them the body of their dad's sister who drowned when she was 5 was in the attic. They believed this well into their 30s. I have no idea what the hell was wrong with my great-grandma that she would tell them this.

How to traumitze your grandchildren in 3 . . 2 . . 1
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

@teddygirl9 - Whew, okay, definitely don't see him getting THAT crazy any time soon. WTF people.

@bethsmiles - It may seem morbid, but I find that story about the attic HILARIOUS.

@labro - Be careful what you and your hubby get up to in that house. Grandma might be watching! ;)

• Options

Ugh.  My grandmother told me that my grandfather died while falling backwards on the stairs in the garage attic space which was our play area.  He did die in the garage but not from that (which I didn't find out until I was 20).  I didn't go up in the attic for a while after that.  Then again, she also told me that eating the black watermellon seeds would make a watermellon plant grow in my stomach.  I guess she was worried about us choking on them?
  • Options

Ugh.  My grandmother told me that my grandfather died while falling backwards on the stairs in the garage attic space which was our play area.  He did die in the garage but not from that (which I didn't find out until I was 20).  I didn't go up in the attic for a while after that.  Then again, she also told me that eating the black watermellon seeds would make a watermellon plant grow in my stomach.  I guess she was worried about us choking on them?
    I just remembered that I have this really deep dimple in my skin right near my tailbone. My dad told me I was born with a tail and that was what was left after having it removed. I believed that into my teens....... I don't think anything made me change my mind. I mostly just refuse to believe I was born with a tail.

• Options
    Now that I'm older and have experience the joys of telling flat-out lies to young children, I can understand why family members told such outrageous stories lol
  • Options
    I can't think of any of H's weird stories.

He has however banned me from watching Ancient Aliens because I have bad dreams... like very realistic bad dreams from that show.  

One of my favorite conspiracy theories (I don't believe it, but I find it interesting) is that the reason for the space race was to take focus off exploring the Earth/Oceans further because they found something in the depths of the ocean they don't want us to know about.  So they shifted focus to the 'space race' and who can make it to the moon first and things like that.  I find it interesting because... why haven't we built machines to go to the bottom depths of the ocean (I don't believe that they've found anything, just more curious why there isn't a bigger push on it)?

@AlPacina - H won't look at properties near high power lines/power systems because he also believes that they give cancer.

Anniversary
  • Options

AlPacina said:

minskat30 said:

minskat30 said:

labro said:

I just remembered that I have this really deep dimple in my skin right near my tailbone. My dad told me I was born with a tail and that was what was left after having it removed. I believed that into my teens....... I don't think anything made me change my mind. I mostly just refuse to believe I was born with a tail.
    My grandpa is missing part of his finger from an accident at work. He told me that my grandma bit it off. He has been telling everyone this story for years but apparently my grandma wasn't aware of this. A few years ago it somehow got brought up in front of her and I have never seen my grandpa laugh so hard at her reaction to finding out about it.

• Options
    My dad once told my now-17 year old brother that the day he was born two vultures were flying backwards and bumped into each other and *poof!* there he was and I am still laughing about that to this day.

This thread is fun... much more fun than the macroeconomics assignment I should be doing right now :P
  • Options
    @Twodimes That's hilarious! 

DH thinks he is an expert on the female reproductive system ever since I got pregnant. His favorite words are fallopian tubes and cervical mucous.

He has his own little book of reference though about pregnancy so he is learning a lot.
  • Options
    I can't think of any of H's weird stories.

He has however banned me from watching Ancient Aliens because I have bad dreams... like very realistic bad dreams from that show.  

One of my favorite conspiracy theories (I don't believe it, but I find it interesting) is that the reason for the space race was to take focus off exploring the Earth/Oceans further because they found something in the depths of the ocean they don't want us to know about.  So they shifted focus to the 'space race' and who can make it to the moon first and things like that.  I find it interesting because... why haven't we built machines to go to the bottom depths of the ocean (I don't believe that they've found anything, just more curious why there isn't a bigger push on it)?

@AlPacina - H won't look at properties near high power lines/power systems because he also believes that they give cancer.

@Dignity100 - *sigh* He's not alone. And even he didn't believe it, it would be tough to sell the home later for the same reason.

The only deep sea exploration I know about nowadays is the stuff that movie director James Cameron does. And I didn't even know about THAT until South Park made fun of it. The premise was something along the lines of: now that people are watching reality shows with people like Honey Boo Boo, "the bar" has been lowered so far that only James Cameron, in his deep sea exploration vessel, can find it. (I looked him up. Apparently he was the first person to reach the bottom of the Mariana Trench solo, in 2012. He just got cooler to me.)

• Options
    @Twodimes That's hilarious! 

DH thinks he is an expert on the female reproductive system ever since I got pregnant. His favorite words are fallopian tubes and cervical mucous.

He has his own little book of reference though about pregnancy so he is learning a lot.
    Ha!  H was asking me about my ovulation cycles lately and we were talking about implantation and the two week wait.  He hasn't gotten to cervical mucous yet.  Romantic dinner talk, no?
  • Options
    @AlPacina - I never thought of re-sale value of the home; well I guess those properties are off my list now too.  Most of our bike trails are along power lines for some reason.

Anniversary
  • Options

I have an older cousin, not a first cousin, but a close one we spend time with a lot, tell my sister and I when we were little that her name was Ishkabibble (SP?). Odd, but whatever. Then one day in my late twenties my mom was talking about a woman named Denise and I had no idea who the heck she was talking about! They laughed and laughed and so did my sister because she obviously figured out her real name much earlier in life.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards