Not Engaged Yet
Options

Annoyed at Work

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today but I'm incredibly annoyed at work today. On Saturday we are doing this Junior Bowl-a-Thon thing for charity. I signed up because we have to do a certain number of volunteer hours each year. I was told I had to have a minimum of $40 donation to contribute toward the team goal. Fine, I'll just write a $40 check because I don't like asking people to donate just so I can participate in something I've chosen to do. But now I'm getting very annoyed with it for two reasons.

1) My team wants team outfits. I honestly don't really have the money to spend on this type of crap right now (I'm really trying to save a budget right now) and even if I did I hate spending money on things I'll only use once.

2) Other teams have decided to make various things to sell to raise money. Okay, fine whatever. Except now they expect me to sell what they made at the branch I work at. My co-worker, who does not work the frontline -she does loans and sits in the back, keeps telling me I really need to push their baked goods. Well, I'm sorry but if they are raising money for their team they need to be the ones to do this, not me. It's not my job and not what I get paid to do.

Ugh...I really just can't wait for this week to be over so I don't have to think about this anymore.

Re: Annoyed at Work

• Options

Outfits? Oh dear, that seems like a bit much... I'm also a terrible sales person. I'd just say that nobody wanted them, maybe she should try? Suggest she spend her lunch break doing that, since she's in the back all day.

I'm a bit annoyed at my work, but its kind of trivial. There are meetings going on right now, and I walked over to the receptionists desk to ask her something, and I noticed a take out menu and credit card on top. I think they are ordering lunch and didn't ask me if I wanted anything :( Usually we just order it for everyone in the office, because, besides the folks in the meeting there are 3 other people in today. Me, the receptionist and the regional VP. I'm going to bet the regional vp is getting lunch, and the receptionist is ordering, so they prob told her to get something. Such a stupid thing to be upset about haha.

• Options

@bethsmiles - I'd be annoyed at that too.  I hate selling stuff...I'll be a terrible mom in that regard if a future kiddo ever joins anything in school.  I'll probably just buy a bunch of the stuff from my kid and put down different names on the little sign up sheet.  ;)

Also, encouaging volunteer hours is great but making them madatory? Do they count as your work day that day? With the shirt thing I would just explain that you will wear the same color they decide on and leave it at that or beat it to the punch and just suggest everyone coordinate colors without having to buy a new shirt.

• Options

@miskat30 - It is mandatory, not every event they do just the hours. Which I think is silly. Mandatory volunteering is an oxymoron! And I don't believe it counts as a work day. I will have to check though.

I like the idea of just saying I'll wear the same color shirt, so I'll probably do that.

• Options

@miskat30 - It is mandatory, not every event they do just the hours. Which I think is silly. Mandatory volunteering is an oxymoron! And I don't believe it counts as a work day. I will have to check though.

I like the idea of just saying I'll wear the same color shirt, so I'll probably do that.

I would definitely check to see if the time counts as time worked.  I'm not a labor attorney but, if your employer is demanding that you volunteer or else you face consequences such as reduced pay, the issue becomes murky.  LINK
  • Options
    @bethsmiles - My office does volunteer days, but they count as a work day. I agree w PP - if they aren't counting it as work time I'd be suspicious.

@teddygirl9 - I'd be irked too. If it were a giant office I would understand, but if there are a few extra people it's worth shooting out an email to offer them lunch too.

My work complaint today is that I am leaving for vacation on Saturday and put in my 2 weeks notice last week.....therefore i have ZERO motivation to do anything (and hence why I am on TK at 2:30pm.....)
  • Options
    @jenjen047 I know =\ At least it wasnt just me. They didnt order for the receptionist either. So I'm annoyed for both of us now haha.
  • Options
    jenjen047jenjen047 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    @teddygirl9 oh good, I feel better knowing you weren't the only one left out. I say you and the receptionist head out early and treat yourselves to happy hour.

ETA: gif
  • Options
    Ugh, you are not alone in your frustration. I greatly dislike forced volunteerism.  My company is big on participating in Relay for Life and every year we have a different theme.  I think this year's theme is the 70s. We also get matching shirts for our health fair.  I usually get the tshirt for the health fair and use it as work out gear, but they only charge us $10. 

They also have fundraisers throughout the year and expect everyone to contribute.  The worst is United Way, at the end of every year they send forms to each employee and require everyone to return it whether you choose to contribute or not.  So of course, everyone will contribute something because you feel you'll be judged if you don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards