Chit Chat

Dear Winter, Let's break up.

2»

Re: Dear Winter, Let's break up.

• I'm just north of @ohannabelle so ditto everything she said. I hate the snow, don't mind the rain, fog or overcast, and love being close to the mountains and ocean. The cherry blossoms have been out for about a week. I take a road to work that is lined with blossoming trees and it's so pretty.

Anniversary
  • As I sit here listening to the sleet hitting the windows as NYC prepares for another snow storm tomorrow, I just try to remind myself it could be worse...I could live in Boston!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In North FL, we're currently getting sunshine and highs in the upper 70s. I had to turn on my AC when leaving work this afternoon. Weekend forecast has us dipping into the low 60s, upper 50s for daytime highs. I;ll start blowing up the air mattresses for you ladies.

Brother is in Chicago. Apparently on top of the 26 degree wet, rainy weather, they were also under a Tornado Warning today. Because winter weather wants to give everyone a final "fuck you"

• I haaate it.  I just want to be able to put my snow pants and wool socks away.  Please. 

Supposedly we will be at 50 in 10 days but I don't trust it. I feel like the forecast has been saying it would be warming up in the last forever and it hasn't even hit freezing. 20-30 mph winds tonight and tomorrow, woo. 
  • For someone who lived in the islands for 14 years you would think I would hate winter.    Well you would partly right.  I hate east coast winters.  Yet, I LOVE Colorado winters.   Today was a little cooler than normal, but in general winter here rocks.  It snows at night, sunny during the day.   Roads are generally okay to drive on.    Overall no complaints.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • DH and I have an outdoor event we're working at the end of the month. At the rate this winter is going, I can't imagine it going well. One of the local race tracks was scheduled to open on Sunday. They put up a hilarious picture of a race car covered in snow saying that's what opening day looked like (don't worry, they postponed their opening, it wasn't really a picture from the track).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• 3 hours to get home tonight.  I'm sick of winter.  The lights just flickered too.....praying they stay on....that would be a cruel way to end the day!
  • @ohannabelle - I've been bugging and nagging H to move to Seattle for YEARS now. I have completely had it with winter, as I've been dealing with crappy winters my entire life.

H, however, LOVES snow, so he's not quite ready to leave. *grumble*
  • [vent] FI had a bad cold for two weeks.  Then I had a bad cold for two weeks and a hacking cough for 2+ more (it's still going).  My normal 40 minute door-to-door commute on the train has more often than not been 2+ hours each way for a month now because they can't fix the freaking trains, and much of that time has been spent standing outside waiting for late trains on exposed train platforms in single digit temperatures.  And now ice dam water is leaking into my house.  Ice water.  In.  My.  House.  So today there are men in my house taking up and entire room of wet carpet and cutting out damaged drywall.  My refuge from this God-awful weather is now a cold, wet construction zone.

Winter, PLEASE just go the fuck away.  [/vent]

We have water leaking into our house too because of ice daming :( We already know we're going to fix both of the windows and ceiling in our bedroom because of water leaking in and last night, H noticed water staining on the ceiling in the downstairs living room. I wanted to cry because all I see are dollar signs and a dwindling bank account because of this winter.
    I'm sorry!  Will your homeowners insurance help cover most of the damage at least so that your bank account isn't hit too hard?  Ours has a $500 deductible and I'm crossing my fingers that most of the rest of our damage will be covered.  The adjuster just came out yesterday so we haven't heard from him yet.  I'm nervous though because the carpet in the affected area is new and the same carpet we put down through the rest of the house--if we can't get the same carpet to match or have to shell out more money out-of-pocket to get it I'm going to be really upset.

It just seems doubly cruel to have to suffer through the mess of this damage and then have to pay to fix it, right?

We're going to have H's uncle come out once all of the snow has melted to give us an estimate - he's a contractor and built his house from the ground up so I know we won't get the runaround from him. If it's more than $1,000, we'll submit it to our homeowners insurance (we have a $1,000 deductible). If it's less then we'll just pay out of pocket. It's supposed to be in the 40s next week so I'm sure that will take care of the ice in the gutters and ceiling and give us a true idea of what we need to fix.

It totally sucks to deal with an awful winter and then pay for its bad behavior! I'm crossing my fingers for you that your damage is covered and you don't have to replace any carpet!

• Of course the worst day of the week is the one day per week that I spend a lot of time outside.  I take my dog to herd sheep on Wednesdays.  The barn I keep my horse at is halfway there too so ideally I like to stop and ride when I'm in the area, but screw that. 

Currently 0 with a windchill of -15. High of 10 with 10-20 mph winds.  Maybe I won't go to herding... dog is bouncing off the walls though. 

Also got about 3-4 inches of wet sloppy snow yesterday. I just keep telling myself that the worse the winters are, the sooner I can convince H we should move far away from the midwest. 
  • I'm sorry, cold girls! 

It isn't flip flop weather in Seattle, but it's I don't need my winter coat, a sweater is fine weather.
    Spring's early, this year.
    Daffodils and crocus, blossoming trees everywhere. There are huge cherry blossom trees across the street, and when the wind blows, it looks like it's snowing pink flowers.
     A few showers, but lots of sunshine, and about 50 degrees. I'll take it.
    The tulip fields north of the city are going to bloom early, so I plan to drive up next week when they explode. Miles and miles of this, in every possible color in the world. 
    Quoting just to see this beauty again!

How lovely. SIGH.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I miss the PNW so much.  Every time someone shares a pic of anything near there I get sad.  I'm originally from the norwest corner of Oregon, so very similar weather to Seattle. In fact, Ilwaco just across the river is reportedly the wettest place in the US. 

Rain is a bummer but it can't kill you.  Subzero temperatures can kill you.  Why do people live here? Ahhhh!  Up north there is a huge ojibwe population and I always wonder how the fuck people survived before central heat and such. 
  • I'm late to the party on this but I just moved to NYC (full time) from New Orleans.  Hence, "One Foot in the Bayou".

I've mentioned on other threads that I fly a lot.  Last week, I flew Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and yesterday.  Friday night, we were rocking so hard coming into LGA I thought we would dip a wing in the water.  We hit the runway, hit a snow bank, fishtailed, broke a nose wheel, and had to be towed in (at 10pm after flying 4 out of 5 days, this was not ideal).  

As many of you will see, a flight just slid completely off the runway at LGA (I narrowly avoided having to fly in this morning through some airline trickery yesterday afternoon) but my bridesmaids are scheduled to fly in today and tomorrow for my bachelorette party in NYC.  One is currently stranded in Atlanta and two more will not get out of Memphis until Saturday night, if at all.  

Obviously the safety of my friends and family is my utmost concern and I'd rather have them not come than try to fly in this but since this is a vent about winter thread, I'd like to throw my "f*ck you, Winter"  into the hat for today.    

I'm about to go put BOTH FEET BACK IN THE BAYOU!  
  • I'm late to the party on this but I just moved to NYC (full time) from New Orleans.  Hence, "One Foot in the Bayou".

I've mentioned on other threads that I fly a lot.  Last week, I flew Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and yesterday.  Friday night, we were rocking so hard coming into LGA I thought we would dip a wing in the water.  We hit the runway, hit a snow bank, fishtailed, broke a nose wheel, and had to be towed in (at 10pm after flying 4 out of 5 days, this was not ideal).  

As many of you will see, a flight just slid completely off the runway at LGA (I narrowly avoided having to fly in this morning through some airline trickery yesterday afternoon) but my bridesmaids are scheduled to fly in today and tomorrow for my bachelorette party in NYC.  One is currently stranded in Atlanta and two more will not get out of Memphis until Saturday night, if at all.  

Obviously the safety of my friends and family is my utmost concern and I'd rather have them not come than try to fly in this but since this is a vent about winter thread, I'd like to throw my "f*ck you, Winter"  into the hat for today.    

I'm about to go put BOTH FEET BACK IN THE BAYOU!  
    I am so sorry that this winter is your introduction to The North.

I swear, it's not always like this! Sometimes winters are reasonable, and the snow is the friendly kind that is good for sledding, and dissipates by March!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • And its snowing again -_-. My work and classes have been cancelled except for one. I'll see if my last class is cancelled or not.
  • Here's a funny video I really liked. It's a parody of Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel, but it's called Grounds for Violence. It sums up my feelings very well. And it really does sound like the song.

It's still cold as hell today. I have to go to the barn to pay my horse's board, and while I'm making the trip I'd like to ride too, but it's too cold.  Hate to drive 25 minutes each way just to drop off a check, blah.  I was putting  off going (supposed to pay on the 1st, have to by the 5th) hoping it would warm up but it never did. 
  • It's going to go above freezing today and I am thrilled!

I got to wear my nice French Connection peacoat today instead of my damn ski jacket, and that pretty much made life worth living this morning on my walk to work.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am so sorry that this winter is your introduction to The North.

I swear, it's not always like this! Sometimes winters are reasonable, and the snow is the friendly kind that is good for sledding, and dissipates by March!
    Thank you, @KatieinBkln.  I've actually had a place in NYC for some time but have successfully skirted nearly every storm over the last two years by living in my apt in New Orleans.  My user name actually comes from a line in a Tab Benoit song that goes "She's got one foot in New York City, one foot in the bayou" :)   I LOVE NYC and especially Brooklyn so on a slightly positive note, this weather is giving me an excuse to go shopping for an appropriate wardrobe & boots for the sludge that is covering this great city.  

I'm just upset it's disrupting my bridesmaid's travel and has been nerve-wracking to fly in myself.  I've successfully re-routed 2 of them and booked a nice hotel for my cousin, the bridesmaid stuck in Atlanta but it's a pain in the nuts.

I look forward to getting reacquainted with being in NY full time!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards