Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Do I need to use the venues caterer

Hello, I have recently found what I would like to be my wedding venue in Mass. The special events coordinator says that they work exclusively with one caterer. Do I have the option to use my own caterer? I am speaking about Hyland Orchard in Sturbridge Mass. Has anyone else had this issue, is there a way to talk them into letting me use my own?

Re: Do I need to use the venues caterer

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

Hello, I have recently found what I would like to be my wedding venue in Mass. The special events coordinator says that they work exclusively with one caterer. Do I have the option to use my own caterer? I am speaking about Hyland Orchard in Sturbridge Mass. Has anyone else had this issue, is there a way to talk them into letting me use my own?

If they specifically tell you that you have to use a specific caterer, then I'd pretty much assume you can't use your own caterer, unless it happens to be the one they specifically use. 
  • My location (a beach club) had an exclusive contract with only one caterer.   They were a 5 star restaurant so it was all good. 

But yeah, more than likely you are stuck with using that caterer.  Even if they did let you bring one it it more than likely will come with a hefty fee.  Being an exclusive caterer normally means the venue gets a fee or kick-back of some sort. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • As the other PPs have said "We typically work exclusively with this caterer" usually means "You're going to use this caterer or we're going to make it difficult for you and your wallet to have someone else cater."

If you want to use another caterer, just find another venue.

• You probably do have to use their caterer

We had to use the venues caterer (I'm getting married at a hotel, so this is pretty standard), so I just made sure to eat there before signing.  If it's a hotel, the venue may even pay for your meal.  We didn't do the full tasting before we signed, but I did eat fish and FI ate steak so we knew we would like it.

• My venue had a firm contract for who would do the food and there was no option on that. It sounds like from your post that this is the position you are in. If you want the venue then you have to use their people.

My package came with a cake too. For this the venue had 4 people I could pick from. I am picky about cake so I asked if I had to use one of those. They said I could use a different one BUT since the package came with the cake included it was only a $100 credit. Since the cake will probably end up costing $900 it just does not make sense to not use one of theirs.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards