Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

BBQ themed reception vs Bridesmaids

Hi everyone!
My fiance and I have been talking a lot lately about doing a BBQ reception. We really like how laid back it is, plus it is cheaper for us since we are trying to cut costs. Do you guys have any thoughts on it? When I told a few of my bridesmaids what we had been thinking, the girls I told were completely against it and said they think its too messy and it will make people not want to eat. Now I feel confused on what to do because I feel like our plans are getting shot down. But, at the same time I feel that ultimately it is our decision. Any suggestions? Thank you :)

Re: BBQ themed reception vs Bridesmaids

• If you're planning on doing a banquet hall reception with your BMs in cocktail dresses and the like, then yes, BBQ doesn't really go with that. If you're thinking more of a backyard reception, less-formal-than-cocktail attire, then I say do it. BBQ doesn't have to mean messy. Just be careful with the type of dishes you pick - for example, I inevitably get pulled pork all over me :-)

In the end, if it's what you and your FI want to do and it's not against etiquette (which this would not be), it fits the formality of the event, etc., then go for it.
  • It is ultimately your decision, but keep your guests comfort in mind. When you talk to your caterer they may have ideas you can use. Maybe they can do sliders with different toppings instead of just burgers and hot dogs? 

And please don't serve ribs.

• We're having a BBQ buffet at our reception. And yes, I also had the same concerns because I expect that most people will be dressed up nicely and I'm exactly the type of bride who would spill BBQ sauce all the way down the front of her white dress. I simply realized we'd just need to avoid anything that needs to be picked up with your hands (think anything on-the-bone). We're doing pulled pork and beef brisket, with stuffed squash for the vegetarians - all neat and tidy (and delicious!). Grilled asparagus, roasted potatoes, mac'n'cheese, and mixed salad are the side dishes. Extra BBQ sauce will also be available on the side for those who want to go all-out.
  • If you and your FI want BBQ then have BBQ.  Just consider what type you are serving.  Like don't serve ribs and bbq chicken legs/wings.  Pick stuff that can be eaten with a fork or that is on a sandwich.  Have extra napkins and maybe even some wet wipes in case people get their hands a little messy.  And stop talking to your BMs about what kind of food you are thinking about having.

Exactly this. 

They might be picturing bibs and wet wipes. BBQ doesn't have to be sloppy and can be eaten without ruining nails or make-up (if that's their concern). Pick entrees and sides that aren't messy and you're all set. 
    *********************************************************************************

• We're doing BBQ, chicken, beef and veggie burgers, for the same reason it significantly cut down the cost. It's food! And most people like BBQ! I would imagine you'd have other sides as well. Go for it, you're the ones paying for the meal it's ultimately what you guys want to do! 
  • If you and your FI want BBQ then have BBQ.  Just consider what type you are serving.  Like don't serve ribs and bbq chicken legs/wings.  Pick stuff that can be eaten with a fork or that is on a sandwich.  Have extra napkins and maybe even some wet wipes in case people get their hands a little messy.  And stop talking to your BMs about what kind of food you are thinking about having.

Can we get an AMEN!!!!!!!!!
  • The bigger issue I want to bring up, stop running "I might do this what do you think" questions across the BM's because while it's awesome you have this type of BFFs, if you're a people pleaser by nature, you're going to look back on some of the details you changed because of super negative feedback and wish you had gone with them because they were more "you two" and how you really wanted the day to be...  Just remember not everyone enjoys looking at a pig carcass, so choose your options wisely and remember that BBQ means different things to different people.  My husband loves pulled meat, but he doesn't want it slathered in BBQ sauce so consequently says he doesn't like BBQ... 

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I'm doing BBQ, but not doing ribs or anything that requires eating with your hands (other than corn on the cob).  We're doing brisket and herb roasted BBQ chicken as our mains.  I honestly don't see how it's different than doing a plated dinner of steak and chicken... other than ours will be in a barn, on plastic plates, and will cost about 1/3 of what a plated dinner at a nicer venue would cost.
    Married 9.12.15
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's a good thing your BMs don't have to worry about it since it is not their wedding. 

Go with BBQ & have fun doing it! I would advise against anything super messy, like chicken wings, but other than that have fun with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards