Chit Chat

Skin Care Help

I've always had really good skin (think like one pimple a year), and now for some reason my face is breaking out like crazy, especially around my hairline and forehead. Has this happened to anyone else in their late twenties? Any advice on how to get my skin back to normal?It's making me very whiny and cranky.

Things that have changed this year:
  • New cleanser (Philosophy) and Clarisonic
  • Started working in an office (used to be a student)
  • Only wash my hair 2-3 times a week (used to wash every day)
  • Stomach has become more sensitive to dairy 

Re: Skin Care Help

• Try using Phisoderm face & body wash. That should clear it up quickly. African black soap can work well too. I swear by 100 Percent Pure products. My skin looks awesome since I've been using their cleansers. 
  • @climbingwife per your rec, I just started using the carrot facial scrub from 100 Percent Pure! I haven't noticed any difference yet but I do love the texture of the product.

Junebug, do you live in a place that's cold right now? I started breaking out on my forehead in December, and I realized it was probably because of my winter hat... I washed it and tried to wear it as sparingly as possible and it seemed to help!
  • @kikilamp I am near Boston, so it could be from having the hood to my coat up every day since... November. 
  • It could be natural oil from your hair or hair products, since it's mostly around your hairline. Do you usually wear your hair down or up? 

Try mixing a couple drops of tea tree oil with your moisturizer. It naturally kills bacteria and calms inflammation so it helps with acne. It has been super helpful to me. 

Try cutting out dairy entirely. If your stomach doesn't like it, it could be causing an inflammatory response elsewhere in your body, which includes your skin, which can worsen acne. 

Also try cutting out refined sugar for a while, I know this one is widely debated as to whether or not it affects acne, but I personally was having tons of acne problems so I cut out 100% of refined sugar for 8 weeks and my skin cleared up like never before. It was amazing. Every so often I'll cheat and eat dessert or drink soda in which case I inevitably get a few zits afterward. 

And can you try to wash the hood on your coat, since that could be harboring bacteria? 
  • Like you, I never had acne until I was an adult. In general, I highly recommend any over-the-counter medication with salicylic acid in it. I use La Roche Posay's Effaclar line (they also have a spot treatment that has benzoyl peroxide). I also use Clarisonic and I think it's really good at minimizing pores & my skin is much, much smoother than it was, but I DID find that my skin got worse for a little bit before it got better - I think that's true for basically any exfoliating system.
  • If none of the above works, I would go see a dermatologist. I tried everything for my acne and prescriptions are the only thing that ended up helping.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pretty well all of those things could be to blame, honestly. Personally, my skin is almost always clear, but if I have bangs I start to break out on my forehead like crazy, so I'd be likely to blame the extra oils from your hairline. You can totally just wash the bit around your forehead though when you wash your face if you're trying to wash your hair less (which I definitely support for your hair's health!) 

If you make some changes like cutting the dairy and making an effort to keep the hair near your forehead off your face and oil-free and it doesn't help, though, a dermatologist is definitely in order. No one needs to live with acne, especially once you're over 25.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you tried switching to earmuffs?  I'm sure they sound a lot less warm and comforting than a hat or hood, but I bought some (sheepskin, so not cheap, but totally worth it) and lived in them.  I don't think I've worn a winter hat since then, and the hair line is definitely looking better.  

I have such touchy skin, so I completely understand your issues.  I feel like I'm way too old to deal with pimples, but the doctors always try to make me take hormones, which I hate (just a personal thing for me).  I've tried about every non-prescription product on the market.  Now that I'm all done with the stress of moving and traveling and wedding, I'll be looking seriously in to making dietary changes, but I know how difficult that can be when you're in an office all day.  

I hope things clear up soon, because difficult skin sucks so completely.  
  • I have also had this problem. My skin started to feel extremely oily and I started breaking out in places I never had issues with before, like on my jawline - so strange. I began to use the Shiseido Ibuki brand (which has been designed for people in their late 20s and early 30s) and it has worked wonders. I currently use the gentle cleanser, softening moisturizer and protective moisturizer (has SPF 15) in that order. 

I also use a Clarisonic at the night. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • An esthetician told me it's normal for skin to change in the late 20's because of hormonal changes. My skin doesn't break out as much as it used to, but it suddenly turned dull and constantly dry. Also, food sensitivities can cause acne to flare up. If it keeps up, try seeing a dermatologist.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• mklammklam member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    blabla89 said:

An esthetician told me it's normal for skin to change in the late 20's because of hormonal changes. My skin doesn't break out as much as it used to, but it suddenly turned dull and constantly dry.

This is what I'm dealing with right now. My skin is dry constantly in a couple of places no matter what I do. Been looking for cleansers that help knock that off but so far no luck.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • This advice is all very helpful - thanks! I feel like a baby because my skin isn't even that bad right now, just worse than I am used to. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards