Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hi Everyone

I realized after commenting on some posts that no one may actually read the "Getting to Know You" so I figured I would introduce myself this way.

I am new to this board but have been on TK for awhile. I work in the industry so I am a bit "wedding obsessed" but not "my wedding obsessed," if that makes any sense?

I noticed there are a few NY girls and I am one of them. :)

I currently live with my SO, we have been together for two and half years and living together since April of 2014. I joined this board because it seems like a fun place to be and as a preventive measure in case I do get that engagement itch soon.

Nice to meet you all!

Re: Hi Everyone

• Options

Well hi there and welcome!

What are your least and most favorite things about working in the industry?

Have you ever been to the west coast of the US? I've never been to NY.

Do you have a favorite movie?

• Options
    Hi there! Just read through your post on the GTKY thread....

Screen Name: AdoptedCalm Age: 29 Significant Other's Age: 34 What You Do: I am an assistant manager at a wedding shop. What SO Does: He works on an oil boat State of Relationship: Living together. How Long You've Been Together: Almost 2 1/2 years How You Met: In a bar at an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): n/a Real Babies: n/a Fur Babies: We have a hedgehog named Carla. Loves: Life, napping, family, friends, reality television/television in general and eating. Hates: Intolerance Pet Peeves: No manners and people on their cell phones. The fact that everyone on this board thinks they are very snarky. Hobbies/Activities: Photography, scrap booking, crafts and reading/writing. Favorite Thing About Your SO: How ridiculously good looking he is. Or how amazing he makes me feel. Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: He smokes. Describe Your Personality: I am a very patient person. I love helping people in all capacities. I am outgoing and optimistic. Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): I will let you decide. I've Been On TK Since: They decided to use TK as an abbreviation. How You Came to Be On TK: I love weddings. How I like my potatoes: Skinned and loaded. Favorite book/author: Are You My Mother by Dr Seuss Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I have crooked pinkies.

What does that mean?
    Do you like guacamole?
    What part of NY are you from?

• Options
    @AlPacina I would have to say my least is the drama that comes along with working in an all female environment. A lot of my girls are catty and sensitive and it stops them from doing a really great job and treating the brides and customers the best 100% of the time. My most favorite is being a part of this huge event in someone's life and making a positive impact as much as I can.

I have not been to the West Coast but I really want to go!

I don't have a favorite movie. I am actually a terrible movie person because I would much rather watch tv and my idea of a movie when I do commit the time to watching one, is a Lifetime movie and those are pretty terrible. I do have a favorite movie genre though which is Horror.
  • Options
    morphemesmorphemes member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    Welcome!

You have a hedgehog? Pics?? I would love to get one, they're so cute. 

Are you reading any good books?

ETA: I mostly lurk, but I thought I'd say hi too :)
  • Options
    Where in NY are you? I'm in the city!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @Swazzle and @TwoDimes, I just don't think everyone can be a 10 on the snarky scale. I think people equate being snarky to being like able and think oh yeah, let me tell these girls that I am totally a 10. But, hey if everyone is actually a 10, more power to them, I do enjoy a snarky person. I LOVE guacamole. When my SO confessed he didn't like guacamole, I felt a little betrayed but realized dating someone who doesn't like guacomole is better than dating someone who does because it means more guacomole for me since I don't have to share. I am from LonGisland (yes, I speak in with the accent)

I don't go on vacation often but my best one was to the Dominican Republic. I actually want to go back there for my 30th but to the exact same resort and people think I am nuts and should explore other parts of the world, which makes me almost want to rethink my plans. I would prefer the mountains if they could be a very warm climate. I am not a chef at all so sorry, no signature recipe for me. SO does a majority of the cooking. I think he is actually convinced I would starve without him, so when he goes away for work, he packs our freezer with soooooo many meals. I do try to cook for him on the day he comes home since he is gone for two weeks. He comes home today and I am making a jambalaya in the crockpot. I can post the recipe if it's good if you would like.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Swazzle said:

Hi there! Just read through your post on the GTKY thread....

Screen Name: AdoptedCalm Age: 29 Significant Other's Age: 34 What You Do: I am an assistant manager at a wedding shop. What SO Does: He works on an oil boat State of Relationship: Living together. How Long You've Been Together: Almost 2 1/2 years How You Met: In a bar at an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): n/a Real Babies: n/a Fur Babies: We have a hedgehog named Carla. Loves: Life, napping, family, friends, reality television/television in general and eating. Hates: Intolerance Pet Peeves: No manners and people on their cell phones. The fact that everyone on this board thinks they are very snarky. Hobbies/Activities: Photography, scrap booking, crafts and reading/writing. Favorite Thing About Your SO: How ridiculously good looking he is. Or how amazing he makes me feel. Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: He smokes. Describe Your Personality: I am a very patient person. I love helping people in all capacities. I am outgoing and optimistic. Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): I will let you decide. I've Been On TK Since: They decided to use TK as an abbreviation. How You Came to Be On TK: I love weddings. How I like my potatoes: Skinned and loaded. Favorite book/author: Are You My Mother by Dr Seuss  P.D. EastmanTell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I have crooked pinkies.

FTFY

Why is that your favorite book anyway? It seems like a pretty basic/simple book for someone without children.

Why is Lifetime your favorite place to watch movies but your favorite movie genre is Horror? I sense a disconnect.

What do you do in the wedding industry?

Tell us about your most difficult client.

• Options
    So, in reference to the snarkiness - are you talking about the regs, or the people filling out the GTKY, and everyone there saying they're a 10? 

What do you do in the wedding industry? 

Guilty pleasures - books, movies, music?

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    @morphemes Hi :) I feel honored that you said hi back Happy Lurking!

I used to read all the time but I don't read as much. I am trying to get back to reading. Currently, I am reading the last book in the Divergent series but I have been reading it since last March. Whoops. But seriously, I have this habit of raiding the free book carts so I have a whole book shelf of books that I WILL read before the year is over.

This is my hedgehog, her name is Carla and she is pretty fantastic.
  • Options

@Swazzle and @TwoDimes, I just don't think everyone can be a 10 on the snarky scale. I think people equate being snarky to being like able  LIKABLE and think oh yeah, let me tell these girls that I am totally a 10. But, hey if everyone is actually a 10, more power to them, I do enjoy a snarky person. I LOVE guacamole. When my SO confessed he didn't like guacamole, I felt a little betrayed but realized dating someone who doesn't like guacomole is better than dating someone who does because it means more guacomole for me since I don't have to share. I am from LonGisland (yes, I speak in with the accent)

I don't go on vacation often but my best one was to the Dominican Republic. I actually want to go back there for my 30th but to the exact same resort and people think I am nuts and should explore other parts of the world, which makes me almost want to rethink my plans. I would prefer the mountains if they could be a very warm climate. I am not a chef at all so sorry, no signature recipe for me. SO does a majority of the cooking. I think he is actually convinced I would starve without him, so when he goes away for work, he packs our freezer with soooooo many meals. I do try to cook for him on the day he comes home since he is gone for two weeks. He comes home today and I am making a jambalaya in the crockpot. I can post the recipe if it's good if you would like.

FTFY.

What kind of crafts do you do?
    I french with my man
  • Options
    @Swazzle and @TwoDimes, I just don't think everyone can be a 10 on the snarky scale. I think people equate being snarky to being like able and think oh yeah, let me tell these girls that I am totally a 10. But, hey if everyone is actually a 10, more power to them, I do enjoy a snarky person. 
    Everyone here said their snark level is a 10? 

(Am I at least allowed to quote myself from an old thread?)

Swazzle said:
    Screen Name: rdr716

Significant Other's Age: 26

What You Do: Junior Broker

What SO Does: Machine operator at a steel mill

State of Relationship: Living together

How Long You've Been Together:  4 years

How You Met:  His best friend is my college roommate's brother.  We saw each other a couple times randomly throughout my four years of college but we both were in relationships so nothing came of it until my roommate's graduation party in 2007.  

Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): 

Real Babies: 

Fur Babies:  A ginger cat named Bailey, a tuxedo cat named Hailey, & a pit bull named Lucy. Oh & 2 goldfish who have yet to be named. 

Loves:  The Eagles, animals, NYC, the Devils, food, massages, my bed, beer, white wine, the beach, bags, shoes

Hates:  Winter, the Giants, the Cowboys, uncomfortable clothes, bread & butter pickles, chipping nail polish, the dentist

Pet Peeves:  Drivers who are unaware of the purpose of their turn signal, slow-walkers in the city, people who chew with their mouth open, my coworker who clips his nails right next to my desk

Hobbies/Activities:  Traveling, reading, watching TV, movies, trying new restaurants

Favorite Thing About Your SO:  His laid-back personality & his sense of humor

Least Favorite Thing About Your SO:   He doesn't always say what's on his mind

Describe Your Personality:  Honest, loyal, generous, emotional, fun, friendly, and if I'm being totally honest, I can be moody

Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]):  5.7ish

I've Been On TK Since: October 2010 but started posting June 2011

How You Came to Be On TK: My friend had just gotten engaged & I was helping her get ideas for her wedding during slow days at work 

How I like my potatoes: Mashed, french fried, hash browned, scalloped, or sweet

Favorite book/author: I don't really have a favorite book or author, I like different ones for different reasons & can't really choose just one. 

Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself:  I've lived in 4 different states & I'm kind of obsessed with clouds.

• Options
    @labro Oh yes, it was P.D. I always get the two of them confused.

It's my favorite book solely for emotional reasons. I was adopted and when I came to the states, my parents read to me non stop to help me learn English. Are You My Mother is one book we read all the time and one of the first books I was able to recite all on my own. I just have happy memories of snuggling up to my mom and listening her read me that book.

Lifetime isn't really my favorite place to watch movies but it is the easiest to access. I can just DVR some movie on there and watch it whenever. They do have some horror on there. Very rarely, but sometimes!

I work in a wedding dress store. My hope is to own a full service wedding store in 10 years. I don't really let people get to me so I don't know if I can pinpoint a difficult client but I had some lady screaming on the phone at me yesterday. I am a manager where I am so when she started screaming at one of my employees on the phone, I opted to take the phone since it wouldn't bother me. She was screaming and angry that her bridesmaid dress for a November wedding wasn't due at the store until April. She kept interrupting me and then hung up on me. I called her back and said, "I am so sorry, we must have gotten disconnected" :wink:
  • Options
    @Swazzle - I would argue that 5.7 is quite precise, no need to add the ish at the end :)
  • Options
    Swazzle said:

@Swazzle and @TwoDimes, I just don't think everyone can be a 10 on the snarky scale. I think people equate being snarky to being like able and think oh yeah, let me tell these girls that I am totally a 10. But, hey if everyone is actually a 10, more power to them, I do enjoy a snarky person. 

Swazzle said:

How You Met:  His best friend is my college roommate's brother.  We saw each other a couple times randomly throughout my four years of college but we both were in relationships so nothing came of it until my roommate's graduation party in 2007.  

Real Babies: 

Fur Babies:  A ginger cat named Bailey, a tuxedo cat named Hailey, & a pit bull named Lucy. Oh & 2 goldfish who have yet to be named. 

Loves:  The Eagles, animals, NYC, the Devils, food, massages, my bed, beer, white wine, the beach, bags, shoes

Hates:  Winter, the Giants, the Cowboys, uncomfortable clothes, bread & butter pickles, chipping nail polish, the dentist

Pet Peeves:  Drivers who are unaware of the purpose of their turn signal, slow-walkers in the city, people who chew with their mouth open, my coworker who clips his nails right next to my desk

Hobbies/Activities:  Traveling, reading, watching TV, movies, trying new restaurants

Describe Your Personality:  Honest, loyal, generous, emotional, fun, friendly, and if I'm being totally honest, I can be moody

How You Came to Be On TK: My friend had just gotten engaged & I was helping her get ideas for her wedding during slow days at work 

Favorite book/author: I don't really have a favorite book or author, I like different ones for different reasons & can't really choose just one. 

Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself:  I've lived in 4 different states & I'm kind of obsessed with clouds.

You snarky liar pants. 

At least @Hazel_B was honest about her snark. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    audrewuh said:

Swazzle said:

Swazzle said:

Real Babies: 

You snarky liar pants. 

At least @Hazel_B was honest about her snark. 

I would argue that I was, in fact, a 5.7 in August 2011. 

• Options
    @GoldenPenguin My snarky comment wasn't meant to single anyone out, it was just an observation from reading the GTKY thread. I did not mean that literally everyone said they were a 10, it just felt that way. There seemed to be people who would say they were very high on the snarky scale much more often then saying they were low. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Can ice cream be a guilty pleasure? I guess music wise, I love jamming out to anything that can be sung along to. So, I love long road trips where I can belt out Broadway tunes or sing along to Taylor Swift or Alanis Morissette.

• Options
    @peekaboo2011 I like making handmade gift items. So I make cards, jewelry, wall hangings, bath items.... basically anything you would find in the gift section of a boutique shop. Pinterest is definitely an obsession.
  • Options
    How do you feel about beards?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options

@labro Oh yes, it was P.D. I always get the two of them confused.

It's my favorite book solely for emotional reasons. I was adopted and when I came to the states, my parents read to me non stop to help me learn English. Are You My Mother is one book we read all the time and one of the first books I was able to recite all on my own. I just have happy memories of snuggling up to my mom and listening her read me that book.

Lifetime isn't really my favorite place to watch movies but it is the easiest to access. I can just DVR some movie on there and watch it whenever. They do have some horror on there. Very rarely, but sometimes!

I work in a wedding dress store. My hope is to own a full service wedding store in 10 years. I don't really let people get to me so I don't know if I can pinpoint a difficult client but I had some lady screaming on the phone at me yesterday. I am a manager where I am so when she started screaming at one of my employees on the phone, I opted to take the phone since it wouldn't bother me. She was screaming and angry that her bridesmaid dress for a November wedding wasn't due at the store until April. She kept interrupting me and then hung up on me. I called her back and said, "I am so sorry, we must have gotten disconnected" :wink:

:O Holy bridezilla alert. I could not deal with that on a daily basis, and I have a lot of respect for you to be able to. Is that how the majority of your clients are or are there only a few bad apples?

Anyways, Hi! I live in San Diego but grew up in NY, and have relatives that live on Long Island. I actually went to two weddings on Long Island in the past year. 

• Options
    @buddysmom80 I was anti beard until I met my SO and now a man with a beard (as long as it is well groomed) is a very sexy man.
  • Options
    @AuroraRose41 Aww thanks :blush:

No, not everyone is like that. We rarely get bad customers, or at least customers who are like her. I used to work at a different store within the company and the customers were pretty terrible so I am thankful every day that I made the move and transferred stores.

I will sit and think jealous thoughts of your life in San Diego.
  • Options

@GoldenPenguin My snarky comment wasn't meant to single anyone out, it was just an observation from reading the GTKY thread. I did not mean that literally everyone said they were a 10, it just felt that way. There seemed to be people who would say they were very high on the snarky scale much more often then saying they were low. Sorry if I offended anyone.

*than

(Sorry, fast fingers on the iPhone sometimes leads to mistakes)
  • Options

I don't go on vacation often but my best one was to the Dominican Republic. I actually want to go back there for my 30th but to the exact same resort and people think I am nuts and should explore other parts of the world, which makes me almost want to rethink my plans.

First off, welcome! Second....the above. While I think it's very important to travel around and see different parts of the world, don't let other people make you feel bad for liking what you like. I've done my fair share of traveling domestically and internationally, and will continue to do more.....but for now I choose to spend the majority (not all) of my vacation time/money sitting my butt on a beach with a fruity cocktail. If they don't like it, screw 'em.

Also, my SO hates guac too. I don't understand how that's possible but you're right, less for them means more for us. Yumm...guac.....
  • Options
    Your hedgie is adorable! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards