Chit Chat

Works got me like....

MadHops21MadHops21 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited March 2015 in Chit Chat
Today is one of those days 

Who has ever needed one of these after a meeting?

What does everyone here do for work? IT work can be pretty mundane when we don't have new tech to play with here. 

ETA Spelling
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Funny Awkward animated GIF

Re: Works got me like....

• I work for an insurance broker - we deal with health, life and disability insurances on a group level, rather than individual. So basically I deal with HR people and employees all day long, asking questions about their policies and healthcare reform.

Today has been a very boring day. I've gotten one email that needed my attention and unless something blows up, I'm going to be twiddling my thumbs for the next 7 hours, until I get to go home.

• Yes! That ribbon explains my life. I work at a university and we have entirely too many meetings. Like a meeting to set the agenda for a future meeting. Someone explain to me why we can't do that through email???

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Everyday is a huge headache for me especially days where the weather is crappy like today. I am an intermodal dispatcher so I am responsible for dispatching my drivers to pick up, deliver and return import/export shipments at the port of NY/NJ. I also have to deal with all the correspondence from our clients which is often angry rants about how they should have received their freight yesterday even though it just arrived. My drivers are so unreliable so between them and the customers my head is already pounding. Thank God tomorrow is Friday. I am also spending half of my work day applying to new jobs because yeah I hate this.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Everyday is a huge headache for me especially days where the weather is crappy like today. I am an intermodal dispatcher so I am responsible for dispatching my drivers to pick up, deliver and return import/export shipments at the port of NY/NJ. I also have to deal with all the correspondence from our clients which is often angry rants about how they should have received their freight yesterday even though it just arrived. My drivers are so unreliable so between them and the customers my head is already pounding. Thank God tomorrow is Friday. I am also spending half of my work day applying to new jobs because yeah I hate this.

The bolded is me all the time lol. Something will happen at work and I'm like, "That's it! Fuck this place! *goes to indeed.com*"
    Anniversary

• Works got me like this:

Word. But it's still early. 

I work for a pastry manufacturer. We're a small company, so these are all the things I'm in charge of:

Purchasing 
    Customer Service 
    Logistics 
    Delivery vehicles
    Marketing 
    Account Management 
    and some sales 

I work directly for the owners, who are two brothers. One is great. The other one is a giant man baby that I fucking hate with the fire of 1,000 suns. 
  • I sent that pic to the head of my department because all she does all day is sit in meetings that could be resolved with a 4 second phone call or email. It made me laugh!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I work for a municipality in the Recreaton Department. I am the Senior Programs and Special Events Coordinator. I like my job most days but would rather be doing athletics.

• I'm a student but I also work on campus as a secretary in the advising office. A bunch of it is hurry up an wait stuff. I basically have two things that never change. I file things and I send reminder emails. Other than that I wait for a phone call or wait for somebody to come into the office.

On slow days I do a whOle lot of nothing

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I work in IT as well. Currently I work on a project where I test power outlets, chairs (do they go up/down/back/front), lights etc. I also do more in depth work like audio/video calls, international conferencing, testing of Microsoft Lync (hate my life) but overall, I'm still not sure what I'm paid to do but I do whatever I can and seem to get praised at it. 

Still baffling.

• I work in IT as well. Currently I work on a project where I test power outlets, chairs (do they go up/down/back/front), lights etc. I also do more in depth work like audio/video calls, international conferencing, testing of Microsoft Lync (hate my life) but overall, I'm still not sure what I'm paid to do but I do whatever I can and seem to get praised at it. 

Still baffling.
    We use this at my work, and it has been down for almost 3 weeks now.  I really miss having it, because for whatever reason it's so much easier to IM than it is to email.

Still baffling.
    LYNC! My company uses that, too. I'm paid to image laptops and find laptops that are about to be thrown out. My job is exciting. At least you do conferencing, that sounds like fun. We use Cisco for conferencing. Last week, the tablet wasn't working for the conference room so the guy on the phone made me and my coworker crawl around, follow cables, check the boxes, pull apart some things, and nothing was working. He finally rebooted something on his Cisco end and everything worked. It was an hour+ of crawling around. Ugh

Still baffling.
    We use this at my work, and it has been down for almost 3 weeks now.  I really miss having it, because for whatever reason it's so much easier to IM than it is to email.
    IM FTW.

Still baffling.
    IM FTW.
    Yes. I tend to convey how my day is going better with the dead rose and running man than I do words. 
  • I have my hands in a lot of things real estate related, but my "day job" is working at a title company.  The owners of my real estate company just opened this title company up, in a partnership with another title company.  They asked me to come work here to be their "eyes and ears" and to make sure things are getting done how they like them.  I agreed to a small pay cut since the job has insurance and is solid 8-5 (vs real estate which is all over the place). 

Well, the owners of the partner title company are batshit crazy.  They're the types that just pick at you and pick at you and try to find things wrong at every turn.  They do it to everyone here, and we joke about whose "turn" it is in a particular week.  I didn't stand for it and went to my other bosses and told them that I couldn't do this anymore if she didn't shape up, so she's left me alone for awhile.  My bosses are awesome people so I'm sticking it out for them.  I'm also learning a lot about title which is good career-wise.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • MadHops21 said:

I work in IT as well. Currently I work on a project where I test power outlets, chairs (do they go up/down/back/front), lights etc. I also do more in depth work like audio/video calls, international conferencing, testing of Microsoft Lync (hate my life) but overall, I'm still not sure what I'm paid to do but I do whatever I can and seem to get praised at it. 

Still baffling.
    LYNC! My company uses that, too. I'm paid to image laptops and find laptops that are about to be thrown out. My job is exciting. At least you do conferencing, that sounds like fun. We use Cisco for conferencing. Last week, the tablet wasn't working for the conference room so the guy on the phone made me and my coworker crawl around, follow cables, check the boxes, pull apart some things, and nothing was working. He finally rebooted something on his Cisco end and everything worked. It was an hour+ of crawling around. Ugh
    Yeah, I spent yesterday crawling around on the floor too. That's about the least fun part of my day. At least it's something to do instead of sitting behind a computer all day, looking at funny gifs to post and being obnoxious on wedding message boards. 

• I work for a meeting planning company, with some event-planning on the side...

We are all working from home today due to the snow- trying to manage 8 different employees working from home is like trying to corral cats, sometimes :)  Tried looking up an award for that, it doesn't exist.... lol!
  • I am a recruiter. We are CONSTANTLY having pointless meetings. Sigh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I recruit truck drivers! Just started some dispatching as well so I totally know what you mean. I hope today is a better day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I work for a meeting planning company, with some event-planning on the side...

We are all working from home today due to the snow- trying to manage 8 different employees working from home is like trying to corral cats, sometimes :)  Tried looking up an award for that, it doesn't exist.... lol!
    I got a video for it 

• MadHops21 said:

I work for a meeting planning company, with some event-planning on the side...

I got a video for it 

I.  Am.  Crying.   LOL- that is amazing.  And yup, pretty much sums it up
  • I'm also a  corporate meeting planner but right now my job consists of setting up group air.  I set up the booking sites so the attendees book their airfare to the right location and arrive on time and don't leave the meeting early.  Then I set up another site so the travel agents booking the flights can make sure the flights are compliant with the meeting times.

And emails.  I answer a bunch of client emails about who has or has not booked their flights to meetings and how much it cost and other similar questions.

And reports.  Lots and lots of reports about flight arrivals, departures and costs.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:

I'm also a  corporate meeting planner but right now my job consists of setting up group air.  I set up the booking sites so the attendees book their airfare to the right location and arrive on time and don't leave the meeting early.  Then I set up another site so the travel agents booking the flights can make sure the flights are compliant with the meeting times.

And emails.  I answer a bunch of client emails about who has or has not booked their flights to meetings and how much it cost and other similar questions.

And reports.  Lots and lots of reports about flight arrivals, departures and costs.
    Is this a common issue?
  • There's an AW lady in my department who calls the ENTIRE department into meetings for every little thing. Which is extra weird, because the department is split up into groups and each group is pretty independent. 

So she calls a meeting a few months ago, and EVERYONE has to go. The entire department all files into the conference room. Everyone is just sitting around waiting, wondering wtf is going on. AW lady finally announces that so-and-so has decided to switch departments. 

Long awkward silence. 

A higher-up looks around and literally says, "Why was this a meeting?" and then walks out. It was hilarious. Took us longer to gather in the conference room than it did to announce what was going on. 
  • There's an AW lady in my department who calls the ENTIRE department into meetings for every little thing. Which is extra weird, because the department is split up into groups and each group is pretty independent. 

So she calls a meeting a few months ago, and EVERYONE has to go. The entire department all files into the conference room. Everyone is just sitting around waiting, wondering wtf is going on. AW lady finally announces that so-and-so has decided to switch departments. 

Long awkward silence. 

A higher-up looks around and literally says, "Why was this a meeting?" and then walks out. It was hilarious. Took us longer to gather in the conference room than it did to announce what was going on. 
    Is she a director or something? I can't imagine she'd have a job much longer if she was at my work place, my higher-ups are quick to fire someone over stupid things. 
  • MadHops21 said:

There's an AW lady in my department who calls the ENTIRE department into meetings for every little thing. Which is extra weird, because the department is split up into groups and each group is pretty independent. 

Long awkward silence. 

Is she a director or something? I can't imagine she'd have a job much longer if she was at my work place, my higher-ups are quick to fire someone over stupid things. 
    Nope. She actually reports directly to the dude who called her out and left. 

Someone in my group retired after working here for 25 years. There was no meeting to announce his retirement. My boss sent out an e-mail. Done and done. Didn't waste anyone's time. 
  • MadHops21 said:

There's an AW lady in my department who calls the ENTIRE department into meetings for every little thing. Which is extra weird, because the department is split up into groups and each group is pretty independent. 

Long awkward silence. 

Nope. She actually reports directly to the dude who called her out and left. 

Someone in my group retired after working here for 25 years. There was no meeting to announce his retirement. My boss sent out an e-mail. Done and done. Didn't waste anyone's time. 
    That's how we do retirements. And mention free food in one of the lounges. I'm glad her direct report called her out, what a waste of time. 
  • Glad to see I'm not the only one in meetings thinking "why am I here?". I work for a tech company as a business process analyst. I used to do customer sales operations then after 4 months of international travel to help the global teams they created this job to keep the collaboration going between all of our sites. At the moment pulling my hair out sounds nice, they dumped one of my old accounts on me on top of projects to update all of the training, create a newsletter to be sent monthly, and rebuild all of our websites under sales operations because we are upgrading the system. I shouldn't complain, I work from home, have FANTASTIC vacation time, and great benefits.. but I'm just really not into technology.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think we all deserve those ribbons. I'm a student museum manager. So I recruit volunteers, organize their schedules and so on. I also clean the museum, organize lectures hosted by the museum, and work science days (where schools visit the university). I love my job, I wish I could keep it after I graduate but I can't. My boss did tell me though that if the university ever hired a permanment staff for the museum, I would be first in line. So maybe one day!

• Glad to see I'm not the only one in meetings thinking "why am I here?". I work for a tech company as a business process analyst. I used to do customer sales operations then after 4 months of international travel to help the global teams they created this job to keep the collaboration going between all of our sites. At the moment pulling my hair out sounds nice, they dumped one of my old accounts on me on top of projects to update all of the training, create a newsletter to be sent monthly, and rebuild all of our websites under sales operations because we are upgrading the system. I shouldn't complain, I work from home, have FANTASTIC vacation time, and great benefits.. but I'm just really not into technology.

Can I have your job? My benefits are awful. To have a kid, after insurance, costs +8k a child. And I get 6 hours of PTO every 2 weeks. I get 1 full day of PTO every month. Help. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards