Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Videographer?

Did you have a videographer at your wedding? Are you happy you did or if you didn't, do you wish you would have?

I'm debating with myself whether it's worth the extra money or not.

Re: Videographer?

• It's always worth the money.  You should totally have one. 
  • im not having a videographer, i decided to go with the better photo album!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't hire a professional one, but my husband's Aunt and Uncle did a terrific job. They taped the entire ceremony and most of the reception (until the battery died), edited it, made it like a real dvd. We are so thankful for it and it saved us a boatload of money.
  • I just got married Saturday and about half way through planning, I conceded that it just was not in the budget and we would have to do without.  Every place I got a quote was about $1000.  Pictures would be enough, and cost way less.

Two days before the wedding we're talking about video with my folks and wishing we had been able to do it.  My dad then decided that he would go to Best Buy, get a camcorder and we'd just do it ourselves.  My cousin's boyfriend is kinda nerdy, so he latched right onto the thing and became our official videographer.  The video is shakey and far from professional quality.  But at least we have it.  And now my dad has a new toy to play with!

I say video isn't a huge deal breaker, but if you have the means or can figure out a way to do it yourself it's better than nothing.
  • We are having a friend of FI's do our video. Most of the professional companies we got quotes from were $700+ for only a few hours. Due to the price we didn't think we would have a video at all but FI is a new reporter and one of the stations camera men offer to film it for $75 and dinner. FI can edit the footage so we figured it was worth it. That being said . . we would not have paid the money a professional was asking for.
  • I am not married yet but I think it is worth it to have a videographer. One of my friends did not have one and always says that she wishes she would have hired one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I say absolutely! It was one of our best decisions.
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    We will have a friend do it. It isn't worth the moeny to us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you have the money, do it. I am happy we did.
  • We aren't having one.  I think photographs are enough + any amateur recordings from our guests.  Personally, I also just don't want ANOTHER vendor wandering around our smaller-sized wedding especially with a large video camera.
    Anniversary
  • I am happy we splurged on it, it was one of those things we werent originally gonna do, but the more we thought about it the more i would regret not having it, that way we can hear our vows to each other, hear everyone giving their toasts and speeches, see our dances, hear all the music we spent hours choosing, thankfully we found an amazing deal for the entire day so it was well worth while and will be the perfect complement to our photos!!
  • ThautThaut member
    First Comment
    I sent out an email to our local videographers and asked for a custom package.  I said I would only like 2 hours of coverage (ceremony, little before and after) and they just give me the raw footage.  They are charging me $300, which I don't think is too bad.  Maybe try that and see if someone will work with your budget? Just an idea:) Hope this helps.
  • I wish I had a videographer. I wanted one, but my husband thought that it wasn't worth the money. There are so many moments that happen during the wedding the need to be heard or seen through video. A photog can't capture everything. If you can find a great deal, then go for it. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend on it.
    Anniversary
  • We just watched our wedding video last Friday and it was great. It was nice to watch the day and re-live the moments. I would recommend you have your day recorded. We hired a professional but if you know someone who can volunteer their services, ask! My friend got married last year and she used my husband (FI at the time) and my video camera to record the day! Neither DH or video camera was professional but it did the job!
  • I'm thinking about asking my aunt if she would do video for us (I really just want the ceremony and our first dance).  However, she has also been a camera operator for a major news station for 30+ years, so it won't be quite amateur quality.
    Anniversary
  • We didn't and it was nice not having a camera in our face the whole time. BUT now I wish we did.  I asked my friend to have her husband record our first dance and we still haven't seen it as of a month later.  If you have the money, go for it.  We didn't at the time, but I sort of wish we did.  The day goes by so fast and a video would be a nice momento to have now. tough decision!  Good luck! :)
  • We are definitely getting one. I want to see video of him before the wedding. It's the only way I can see him then since we won't see each other until I'm coming down the aisle. Plus, we know the day will be crazy and we'll miss some things or forget other things and we want to be able to re-live it any time we want and catch things we didn't see on the actual day. 12 more days for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards