Wedding Reception Forum

Brooklyn Nine Nine Quote: Is this to flippant/silly for a wedding toast?

I'm in a wedding in a couple of weeks and will be giving a toast. I have never given a toast before. I'm thinking about using this quote but wanted opinions - is it too silly for a wedding toast? I'm not a serious person but I worry that like a curmudgeon-y old relative will think I'm being flippant.

So I'll start "I met the couple blah blah blah. Their relationship is great because X Y and Z" and then say:

"You’d
think that I’d be great at writing speeches, being a trial lawyer and all, but
I think a character on one of my favorite TV shows said it better than I ever
could: “Marriage is a contract. But it’s so much more than that. Marriage is
love. It’s commitment, it’s joy, it’s understanding, it’s patience, it’s anger,
it’s reconciliation. It’s everything. It’s like oatmeal. It sustains you.

So
with that, I’d like to propose a toast. May your marriage be full of love,
commitment, joy, understanding, patience, anger and reconciliation, and most of
all, may it sustain you. To [Bride and Groom]”

What do you think?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Brooklyn Nine Nine Quote: Is this to flippant/silly for a wedding toast?

• wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    Toasts should be succinct, not a true speech. I'd drop the bit about how you met them and how long you've known then and stick with the toast itself. A toast should come in right around 1-2 minutes, tops. 

If the stuff about how you met them is super short, then you could leave that in. It just depends on if you're doing a brief thing or telling a long story.

I like the toast. It's cute, it's brief, and it's sweet. :) I would have enjoyed hearing that at my wedding, and my relatives would have too.
  • Toasts should be succinct, not a true speech. I'd drop the bit about how you met them and how long you've known then and stick with the toast itself. A toast should come in right around 1-2 minutes, tops. 

If the stuff about how you met them is super short, then you could leave that in. It just depends on if you're doing a brief thing or telling a long story.

I like the toast. It's cute, it's brief, and it's sweet. :) I would have enjoyed hearing that at my wedding, and my relatives would have too.
    The whole thing is 1:45 when I read it out loud to myself, is that too long?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I love that quote!  It's great.  I would love if somebody read that at my wedding.  Go for it!  1:45 seems okay to me. 
  • I don't think 2 min is too long at all - perfect length.

I love the quote....minus the oatmeal bit. Like, what? I don't think quoting is flippant, but I think comparing marriage to oatmeal is incredibly flippant.
    *********************************************************************************

• I like it. I think you should keep it exactly as it is, oatmeal and all.

Anniversary

• Thanks everyone!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 1:45 is fine. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards