Snarky Brides

Your weekly "Weddit" recap (wedding forum etiquette fails)

I may have posted before that I love perusing “Weddit”
(wedding planning sub on Reddit) for the messy casserole of etiquette fails I
usually find on there. Here are a few highlights from this past week:

1 – Bride who is planning to do a honeyfund asking if it’s
okay if her and her FI don’t go on their “dream honeymoon” until a year after
their wedding. So it’s a fucking vacation. That their guests are paying for.

2 – Groom complaining about the USPS because he and his FI didn’t
know that his invitations required more postage and they had just dropped
everything in the mailbox with a regular stamp. So everything was delayed, and
now people are just receiving the invitations even though the respond by date is days away. But it’s
the government’s fault, apparently.

3 – Bride whining about the fact that it’s been three months
and she still doesn’t want to write her thank you cards. Many posters (me
included) give her the “DO THEM NOW” advice, but many, way too many, are saying
she still has 9 months left and that within a year is still okay. One poster
even gave the sound advice to “just type up a generic message and create a mail
merge in Microsoft Word.” Many comments underneath hers (again, me included)
say that’s not good advice and she defends herself saying “If I were to hand
write out a thank you to each one of my guests, I would be annoyed about it.”
Nice.

4 – Bride and Groom having a courthouse wedding now, then a “real wedding” later. They are having another ceremony at their PPD and don’t want the hassle of
hiring an officiant, so they want to know how their ceremony should proceed
based on the knowledge that they a) are already married and b) won’t have an officiant. I have this image in my head of the B&G and wedding party all standing around in front of everyone with no one being sure what to do or say.

5 – Someone (maybe a Knottie, haha) asked a question to the
group about what wedding trends are outdated (similar to our pinterest snark thread) and of course there were tons of comments saying things like barn
weddings, signs, mason jars, etc. were all outdated. The brides who are
obviously using these things in their weddings were so offended that they went
to the mods that some posters were “bashing them” so now it’s illegal on Weddit
to have those kinds of threads. Guys, I wish I was making this up.

Many more posts regarding PPDs, BYOB weddings, and our
favorite: brides who want to find a polite way to kick out their bridesmaid who
just isn't helping with the planning. Stay tuned for more!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Your weekly "Weddit" recap (wedding forum etiquette fails)

• peachy13 said:

I may have posted before that I love perusing “Weddit”
    (wedding planning sub on Reddit) for the messy casserole of etiquette fails I
    usually find on there. Here are a few highlights from this past week:

1 – Bride who is planning to do a honeyfund asking if it’s
    okay if her and her FI don’t go on their “dream honeymoon” until a year after
    their wedding. So it’s a fucking vacation. That their guests are paying for.

2 – Groom complaining about the USPS because he and his FI didn’t
    know that his invitations required more postage and they had just dropped
    everything in the mailbox with a regular stamp. So everything was delayed, and
    now people are just receiving the invitations even though the respond by date is days away. But it’s
    the government’s fault, apparently.

3 – Bride whining about the fact that it’s been three months
    and she still doesn’t want to write her thank you cards. Many posters (me
    included) give her the “DO THEM NOW” advice, but many, way too many, are saying
    she still has 9 months left and that within a year is still okay. One poster
    even gave the sound advice to “just type up a generic message and create a mail
    merge in Microsoft Word.” Many comments underneath hers (again, me included)
    say that’s not good advice and she defends herself saying “If I were to hand
    write out a thank you to each one of my guests, I would be annoyed about it.”
    Nice.

4 – Bride and Groom having a courthouse wedding now, then a “real wedding” later. They are having another ceremony at their PPD and don’t want the hassle of
    hiring an officiant, so they want to know how their ceremony should proceed
    based on the knowledge that they a) are already married and b) won’t have an officiant. I have this image in my head of the B&G and wedding party all standing around in front of everyone with no one being sure what to do or say.

5 – Someone (maybe a Knottie, haha) asked a question to the
    group about what wedding trends are outdated (similar to our pinterest snark thread) and of course there were tons of comments saying things like barn
    weddings, signs, mason jars, etc. were all outdated. The brides who are
    obviously using these things in their weddings were so offended that they went
    to the mods that some posters were “bashing them” so now it’s illegal on Weddit
    to have those kinds of threads. Guys, I wish I was making this up.

Many more posts regarding PPDs, BYOB weddings, and our
    favorite: brides who want to find a polite way to kick out their bridesmaid who
    just isn't helping with the planning. Stay tuned for more!

I thought people on Reddit were supposed to be cooler than those on other Internet forums.
  • @onefootinthebayou right? Like I thought you had to have a seriously thick skin to post there, but it's all out the window with the weddit sub. The people who are righteous there are the same types who call us (knotties) all old hags and such.

• I finally unsubscribed to Weddit after I was downvoted all to hell for having the gall to say that receptions are for the guests and that brides shouldn't throw their own bachelorette parties.

Sometimes I lurk anyway to get off on how colossally tacky it all is.
  • I mostly lurk, but I do post every once in a while when it clearly is not a huge etiquette fail and I won't be downvoted to hell for saying my thoughts. I roll my eyes at most things on there though. 

I saw the comment about the bride "wanting to cry" (her words) because people didn't like burlap and lace and mason jars. Come on, not everyone in the world has the same tastes, and if you can't understand that, then you probably shouldn't be getting married, because I shudder to think what other things you can't understand and won't compromise on (I am picturing her crying when her H says he doesn't like her favorite food). I realize that not everyone likes my classic wedding look, and THAT'S OKAY. I wouldn't start crying if I saw strangers say they didn't like it online. Plus, the world would be a really boring place if everyone liked the same things! 

• I mostly lurk, but I do post every once in a while when it clearly is not a huge etiquette fail and I won't be downvoted to hell for saying my thoughts. I roll my eyes at most things on there though. 

I saw the comment about the bride "wanting to cry" (her words) because people didn't like burlap and lace and mason jars. Come on, not everyone in the world has the same tastes, and if you can't understand that, then you probably shouldn't be getting married, because I shudder to think what other things you can't understand and won't compromise on (I am picturing her crying when her H says he doesn't like her favorite food). I realize that not everyone likes my classic wedding look, and THAT'S OKAY. I wouldn't start crying if I saw strangers say they didn't like it online. Plus, the world would be a really boring place if everyone liked the same things! 
    The thread was about trends that are "over," and honestly if you can't tell at this point how overdone burlap/lace/mason jars are just by the sheer volume of the same on wedding planning sites and pinterest, you're catastrophically unobservant. If it's still your absolute favorite thing and the thing you want then more power to you, but if you can't handle people pointing out the very obvious fact that it is, in fact, trendy and it is, in fact, popular to the point of oversaturation, than you're right, how are you going to handle any conflict moving forward?
    QFT

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• margaritaaamargaritaaa member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2015
    I like that sub, but some of the things people post are just absolutely ridiculous.

I think the worst ones are those that complain about guests RSVPing with
    their partners, even though their partner isn't invited. Then these
    threads turn into an argument about how only married/live-in couples of
    1+ years should only be invited to the wedding. There are even some
    posters who don't think that you have to invite any kind
    of SO ("it's my day, my wedding, I don't want some randoms there").
    Then I get downvoted to hell because I tell them I think that's rude, so
    I don't even bother posting whenever I see these topics. Absolutely
    ridiculous
  • polkad0t said:

I used to post on that sub but I just can't anymore.  Too much patting each other on the back for bad taste and rude decisions.  No one can deal with any opinion other than theirs and it seems like the only reason people post is to get validated. 

Another post this morning about how one particular SS is upset about people mentioning that certain things are not tradition.  Ugh give me a break!  If you're so against having any "tradition" then what in the hell are you doing planning a wedding at all.  Have yourself a bouncy house or go to a bowling alley with a bunch of friends and call it a wazzle-floff if you can't handle having any traditional aspects.  But it's not a wedding.  Or at least don't get offended if someone else wants to incorporate traditions into theirs.  It's like "You can't judge me for doing what I want to do but I'm going to judge you for doing what you want to do."

The butthurt in that sub is palpable any time someone with a dissenting opinion comments.  God forbid we don't all want the same uber cheap affair with Chinese-made pillowcase dresses and converse sneakers.  It's weirdly contrasted by the justengaged subreddit where, whenever anyone posts a ring that is over a carat they get upvoted infinitely and everyone forms a circlejerk over how lucky they are/how beautiful their ring is.
    I saw that one too. That sub gives me cancer.

• polkad0t said:

I used to post on that sub but I just can't anymore.  Too much patting each other on the back for bad taste and rude decisions.  No one can deal with any opinion other than theirs and it seems like the only reason people post is to get validated

Another post this morning about how one particular SS is upset about people mentioning that certain things are not tradition.  Ugh give me a break!  If you're so against having any "tradition" then what in the hell are you doing planning a wedding at all.  Have yourself a bouncy house or go to a bowling alley with a bunch of friends and call it a wazzle-floff if you can't handle having any traditional aspects.  But it's not a wedding.  Or at least don't get offended if someone else wants to incorporate traditions into theirs.  It's like "You can't judge me for doing what I want to do but I'm going to judge you for doing what you want to do."

The butthurt in that sub is palpable any time someone with a dissenting opinion comments.  God forbid we don't all want the same uber cheap affair with Chinese-made pillowcase dresses and converse sneakers.  It's weirdly contrasted by the justengaged subreddit where, whenever anyone posts a ring that is over a carat they get upvoted infinitely and everyone forms a circlejerk over how lucky they are/how beautiful their ring is.
    There is so much of that. It's painful. I am gathering some gems from this week (stay tuned!) that involve two cases in which the families of two different brides are literally saying "don't do this, it's not right" to the brides, but they want validation that they're right from the internet. How come their families don't get that it's THEIR SEPCIAL DAY?!

• Please tell me y'all read the vegan post.  Dying.
  • polkad0t said:

Please tell me y'all read the vegan post.  Dying.

"immediate family minus for grandparents are on board"... dude, give grandpa a steak.

• The vegan one reminds me of seeing wedding pictures from an old friend's wedding and in front of the head table was a HUGE cardboard cut out of a Republican elephant. Like, dude, we all know you guys are conservative and that's cool and all and there's an election coming up and everything but that seems a little overkill. 

If people are at your wedding they (hopefully) know you well enough to know your beliefs on certain issues. No need to hit them over the head with it.
  • Is it bad that I was expecting worse from the Vegan thread?

Also, dear Vegans, We get it. Now shut up.

Anniversary
  • Someone should write a them a cute poem about why eating meat is bad so they can hand it out to their guests. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Would you rather...

be sat at a table next to a vegan while you yourself are eating a dish with meat OR be sat a table who's considers their love of bacon a distinct personality trait?

(I'm a meat eater btw)

• lnixon8 said:

Would you rather...

be sat at a table next to a vegan while you yourself are eating a dish with meat OR be sat a table who's considers their love of bacon a distinct personality trait?

(I'm a meat eater btw)

Vegan - then I have an excuse to ignore them the rest of the meal if they feel the need to comment on my animal murdering. Bacon eater just sounds like a boring person, but I'd feel obligated to try to make conversation since they weren't actually rude.
  • lnixon8 said:

Would you rather...

(I'm a meat eater btw)

AHAHAHA

My fiancé's cousin's husband is all about his bacon obsession.  Would definitely prefer sitting with a vegan over sitting with those two.  
  • Next up: a bride who turned down the family ring her mother offered her, found out the center stone from the ring she was going to use from her fiancé's family was unlikely to hold up, and now feels like she deserves the ring she was originally offered, that has now been offered to her sister.  Fun bits include the notion that her sister can afford another ring, so the bride posting should get the ring from her mother.  I am finding it extremely hard not to comment on this one.
  • @polkad0t I saw that one! Also, this gem was just posted an hour ago. I can't even. You fired your MOH for being a terrible friend when you knew she had just gone through a painful break up and called off an engagement? And when she got upset because it was still so recent and she couldn't handle looking at wedding stuff, YOU KICK HER OUT?????? 

AND YOUR MOM WANTED TO CUSS HER OUT FOR IT TOO?

I need a drink now. Or 20.

• More from this past week. On a personal note, I have almost
    completely stopped commenting on Weddit and mainly just lurk now. It’s
    pointless when these people just want the affirmation that they’re doing it
    right even though their families and the meanies on The Knot say that they’re
    not.  

1 - Bride is planning to have a 2 hour un-hosted gap in
    between the ceremony and rehearsal but somebody in her family told her this
    would be rude to the guests. She’s super annoyed that her original plan might
    have to be changed so she asks the great people of Weddit to justify her case. Some
    of the comments are things like “don’t worry about them, they’re adults who can
    take care of themselves for 2 hours.” But then there are plenty that tell her 2
    hours isn’t cool, but the bride comments on pretty much all those responses in
    defense (why did she even bother posting?) She is also trying to justify
    her choice by saying they didn’t budget an extra two hours for food and drink
    and also that the wedding is in Chicago! Her guests should be happy to have 2
    hours to kill!

2 - Bride wants her “dream wedding” to be a private ceremony
    with just her close family and then a reception at a baseball game the next day
    with other family and friends who aren’t being invited to the ceremony. And no,
    it can’t just be a fun day out at the baseball game. It needs to be part of the
    wedding for some reason and must be labeled a “reception.” (read: gifts) Pretty
    much her entire family is telling her not to do this but she wants validation
    from the internet -- much like the bride above-- that she’s right and can do
    whatever she wants because it’s her SPESHUL DAY(S).

• Also I'm seeing more and more from these posts on weddit that everyone defends their actions by saying it's a regional thing. "Well everyone from where I'm from always puts their registry right on their invitation so it's not rude here!"

• peachy13 said:

More from this past week. On a personal note, I have almost
    not.  

have to be changed so she asks the great people of Weddit to justify her case. Some
    hours to kill!

This. I post when it has nothing to do with breaking etiquette. There was a post recently asking for venue suggestions in the area that FI and I are getting married in, so I gave some ideas for that. But mostly I just lurk too. 

• I think this bride is the epitome of asking for advice and not being happy when it's not exactly what you wanted to hear: http://www.reddit.com/r/weddingplanning/comments/2zmuti/can_i_unask_someone_to_be_a_bridesmaid/

She is thinking of dumping her bridesmaid because she bitched about her FH, bridesmaid didn't say exactly what she wanted to hear, and now OP is angry. Then, posters give OP advice that she does not want to hear, and OP gets angry.

WHY?
  • polkad0t said:

I think this bride is the epitome of asking for advice and not being happy when it's not exactly what you wanted to hear: http://www.reddit.com/r/weddingplanning/comments/2zmuti/can_i_unask_someone_to_be_a_bridesmaid/

She is thinking of dumping her bridesmaid because she bitched about her FH, bridesmaid didn't say exactly what she wanted to hear, and now OP is angry. Then, posters give OP advice that she does not want to hear, and OP gets angry.

WHY?
    This one raised some major red flags for me. So OP's fiance is so angry about the bridesmaid speaking some truth to the bride that he demands OP to kick her out of the wedding ( and probably end a friendship) and OP is like "yes, you're right. How do I do it nicely? Let me ask the internet." Yikesies. 

• peachy13 said:

More from this past week. On a personal note, I have almost
    not.  

hours to kill!

I don't understand - how is a baseball game a reception in any way? Why does she want to do this? People are so damn weird.

• edited March 2015
    polkad0t said:

Next up: a bride who turned down the family ring her mother offered her, found out the center stone from the ring she was going to use from her fiancé's family was unlikely to hold up, and now feels like she deserves the ring she was originally offered, that has now been offered to her sister.  Fun bits include the notion that her sister can afford another ring, so the bride posting should get the ring from her mother.  I am finding it extremely hard not to comment on this one.

PLEASE comment... I think I have found some of the Knotties on Weddit. Tee hee.

ETA...yeah some of these topics aren't worth commenting on. I retract my comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards