Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Wedding cake a year later.....

Has anyone saved their cake and eaten it a year later?  Was it good and worth saving/eating?  I have heard its gross and not worth the effort.  If so, I was going to eat it within a month or so, and then next year so back to the bakery and just purchase another small cake to eat.  I didn't get much of my wedding cake and really want to taste it and enjoy it while it is still good!

I heard that some bakery's don't use as much preservatives and therefore the cakes don't last as long or don't taste good.  Anyone have experience?

Re: Wedding cake a year later.....

• Options
    As long as you wrap it correctly, it should still taste good.  What you need to do, is take any decorations off the cake and then wrap it multiple times in saran wrap.  Then, put it back in the box.  Then, wrap the box in saran wrap multiple times.  Then, wrap the box in aluminum foil and put in a freezer safe bag.  Then store it in a deep freezer that won't be opened very often.

• Options

I'm already excited to eat the top of our cake a year later! My cake place made it certain that they wrap it like Fort Knox.. haha and pp is exactly right on how you/the cake place should wrap it.

As long as it is wrapped and stored probably, it still should be fine.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Ditto pp. Although I have heard good and bad things as well. I hope ours will taste okay. I wasn't the one in charge of wrapping it bc it is still at my IL's house since we could not keep it frozen on the drive back to Georgia after the HM. I dunno even if we will be able to eat it on our anniversary. =(

If it tastes bad, you could always have another cake just like it made for the anniversary. Some cake makers will make you a free one on your one year anniversary and I think that is a great idea.
  • Options
    I couldn't imagine it tasting very fresh, but I plan on a bite or two for tradition's sake

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Since we are having an actually ice cream cake for our wedding cake we won't be saving the top layer . . I assume we will just order a small cake on our one year to celebrate with.
  • Options
    i never understood that tradition, because i've tried a couple friends' cakes a year later that were even shrink wrapped and they were GROSS!!!  I would just buy a little cake at a year.  My fiance and I ate the top of our cake days after our ceremony so it would still taste fresh and we didn't get to eat our cake at the ceremony.  Won't make our year any less special!  Dig in :o)
  • Options
    Ditto pp! Our cake maker put in as part of our contract that we could call him 2 weeks before our 1 year and he would make us a replica cake top. Then again, who would eat cheesecake a year later?! ;D
    July 24, 2010
  • Options
    a wedding planner I know told me to put mini marshmallows in the box with the wrapped cake.  the marshmallows will absorb any freezer burn that might adhere to the cake.  i've got a few more months before trying it out but I've heard it works.
  • Options
    I can hardly wait until I et to have my fist bite of our cake!

You should have no problem if you wrap it like ditto explained-Im a pasrty chef.
  • Options
    Our baker does NOT recommend saving cake.  We were told to bring our receipt back on our anniversary and they will give us a freshly made new cake top.
  • Options
    Our baker said the same thing.. she said she doesnt recommed it. I have heard that is doesnt taste good. Plus we are getting married 3 hrs from where we live and leave on our honeymoon the next day.. so It would be a day or so before family got it back to the house to wrap up. I am just going to go to the baker for our 1 yr and have a small replica cake made.
    Photobucket We're Married!!!!
  • Options

I've heard good and bad things!

We wrapped ours much like navy suggested, except we vaccuum sealed it first. It got a little smushed, but it was vacuum sealed, then wrapped in shrink wrap, then wrapped in aluminum foil, then placed inside a freezer safe bag. It's now in the bottom of my mom's deep freeze, so we'll see, lol. 6 months to go!

(Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    Our baker makes us a free top tier for our 1 year anniversary.  Which is good because my husband was sickened by the thought of year old cake!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I wrapped mine pretty well and we ate it on our one month anniversary.  I didn't think that even tasted good!
  • Options
    Because of this post here, my husband and I decided to eat the cake now (6 weeks after our wedding) and get a cake baker to recreate it in a year.  
  • Options
    I wrapped our top tier of the cake according to directions that i found on theknot. Took it out of the box and wrapped it in several layers of saran wrap- then put it in a large ziplock bag and made it as airtight as possible. I hope it works out okay! We hardly got to taste our cake at the wedding either- my husband said that the only piece he had was the little one that i stuffed in his mouth when we cut the cake! I have read other places that people just ate the cake the day after and didn't wait for the whole year.  I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. If we do try it and it is gross, I think that we will call the cake baker and ask her if she can make us a small cake that matches our top tier (as suggested above). That is a great idea, and I would have never thought of that! Even if she does not make it for free, it won't matter.
    Thanks for that idea, and I'll get back to you next year when we try our cake! :)
  • Options
    Our baker told us not to save it because it wouldn't do the cake justice!  Nevertheless, we have had it in our freezer since our wedding a month ago, but I'm pretty sure we'll break down and eat it soon!
  • Options
    JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2010
    reading this thread makes me want to take ours out of the freezer and eat it now instead of waiting a year (only been frozen for a week)
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    One thing you can do is wrap 12 pieces individually and you can eat one piece every month on your aniversary. That's what I plan on doing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards