DIY Wedding Forum

Sharing my passport invitations!

I haven't posted here in a while, but I have managed to finish and send out my invitations!

I ordered the design on Etsy, and then printed them at a UPS business center, and assigned two bridesmaids (well, one is a groomsgirl - on my FH's side) to cut and assemble them. I can't remember where I read the tips to assemble them, but it was fairly easy. I bought waxed twine to tie them together.

As for the envelopes, stole this idea from Etsy as well, but made them myself - I collected city maps from fellow cabin crew (FYI for those who don't know me, which probably most of you! I'm an international flight attendant living in Dubai) and just whipped them up. Although I wish I had heard of stationary glue because I used gluestick and that got messy!!!

I can't tell you how many maps and from where they're from... literally all over the world.

Re: Sharing my passport invitations!

• adorable! :)

• Those look great! :)
  • thejinxchanthejinxchan member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited March 2015
    Why does everyone assume everyone is a controlling bridezilla? We did them together, I didn't literally assign anyone to anything, it was just the wording I used. If you'd like full detail, she lives in the UK and was visiting us for a week for some sun and getting her dress made. She was excited to help out with the wedding even if it was only that. My other bridesmaid was also happy to help, since it was her first hand she had in helping out, as she lives in Dubai with me but I had been doing most of the stuff myself or while I was home in the USA. She had recently been in a friends wedding back in her home country and she was sad she couldn't help at all. Not everyone on this site is crazy and naive when it comes to planning a wedding. Thanks for the comments but I don't appreciate the unsolicited advice about not being a bridezilla. My friends will put me in my place if they so feel the need.

Again, thanks everyone for the kind words. We worked really hard on them and everyone enjoyed receiving them.
  • Why does everyone assume everyone is a controlling bridezilla? We did them together, I didn't literally assign anyone to anything, it was just the wording I used. If you'd like full detail, she lives in the UK and was visiting us for a week for some sun and getting her dress made. She was excited to help out with the wedding even if it was only that. My other bridesmaid was also happy to help, since it was her first hand she had in helping out, as she lives in Dubai with me but I had been doing most of the stuff myself or while I was home in the USA. She had recently been in a friends wedding back in her home country and she was sad she couldn't help at all. Not everyone on this site is crazy and naive when it comes to planning a wedding. Thanks for the comments but I don't appreciate the unsolicited advice about not being a bridezilla. My friends will put me in my place if they so feel the need.

Again, thanks everyone for the kind words. We worked really hard on them and everyone enjoyed receiving them.

Yeah...only they didn't have to help, and you specifically said you "assigned them" tasks. YOU said that.   So there must have been some truth to it.  I don't buy that all of a sudden she went from being assigned to being sad about not being able to help out.  You posted on an open forum, and people can post about whatever they want in response to your OP.  Enjoy the unsolicited advice that will keep you from looking like an ass.  Also, your friends and family aren't going to tell you you're being a bridezilla, specifically because they love you and don't want to hurt your feelings. 

• Yes, it is every woman's dream to cut and assemble someone else's wedding invitations. That was so kind of you to assign/not assign them.

They're cute though.

Anniversary

• I love how condescending this site can get, even when it comes to something as simple as sharing some crafty stuff. It seems anyone's excuse is "you posted on an open forum", which is true enough, but it's also your decision to act like a jerk or not. There's no assignment sheet, no list of tasks to do. I simply told my girls and asked them to help. They could have said no.

It's a DIY wedding forum for God's sake! Get over it!

It seems that the most popular hobby on these forums is calling people out, even if it's just based on one word. I have been lurking these forums since 2003 when my sister got married, and I have seen it deteriorate into catty posts about 70% of the time. I see some people on here do actually deserve it, but seriously? Based on the word "assigned"?

Trust me, my best friend is full on Irish and she has called me out when needed, as I do for her. It's what real friends do. 
  • I love how condescending this site can get, even when it comes to something as simple as sharing some crafty stuff. It seems anyone's excuse is "you posted on an open forum", which is true enough, but it's also your decision to act like a jerk or not. There's no assignment sheet, no list of tasks to do. I simply told my girls and asked them to help. They could have said no.

It seems that the most popular hobby on these forums is calling people out, even if it's just based on one word. I have been lurking these forums since 2003 when my sister got married, and I have seen it deteriorate into catty posts about 70% of the time. I see some people on here do actually deserve it, but seriously? Based on the word "assigned"?

Trust me, my best friend is full on Irish and she has called me out when needed, as I do for her. It's what real friends do. 
    Ahem, DIY means Do It Yourself. That is not the same as assigning to other people. In life, it's very strange, but people take you for your word. We assume your words mean things. That's what language is. So using the word "assigned," means you assigned someone. You can backpedal all you want, but don't use words you don't mean and then get all butthurt when people assume you know what the fuck you're saying.

Anniversary

Nice try backpedaling.  You shouldn't even be asking for help, as DIY inherently means DO IT YOURSELF.  So get over it.  You made the word choice, and people are going to respond to that.

"So, yesterday I went to the visit my grandma and it was great to catch up with her and gather some of her wisdom.  I asked her if she would like me to record some of her childhood stories to preserve them, and she said yes!  It's going to be wonderful to have a recorded history.  When I left I ran over her cat, which sucked, but I'm so glad we'll get to spend that time together!"

People are going to respond to the fact that you ran over her cat.  That's your fault for including it in the OP.  It's not condescending to respond to a word choice, since, you know, words actually mean something.  There was a reason you chose that word, and that's on you, not us. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards