Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Did you get drunk at your wedding?

Just curious. 

I went to a wedding where the bride was so hammered the groom had to carry her out before 1am, and another where the bride didn't have any drinks.

I'm aiming for a happy medium between the two. 

What about you? Did you get drunk on your wedding day?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Did you get drunk at your wedding?

• Options
    Ok, I haven't had my wedding yet, but I'm aiming for "just buzzed", like you. I've also been to a wedding where the bride was puking by 10p and had to be carried out. We tried to get the groom to stay b/c he had a bunch of friends and family from out of the country visiting, but -- righly so -- he wanted to go with her, so the reception came to a screetching hault. Another one the groom got so plastered that he had to be carried out. We ended up all going up to the honeymoon sweet and partying while he was passed out on the bed. (We were much younger then.) Ended up the next day he was sleeping in his own vomit and slept through the alarm, and they missed their flight to their honeymoon. He was eventually able to book them on a later flight that day, but with a hefty price, I'm sure. I just CAN'T IMAGINE getting that wasted on your wedding night!
  • Options
    I have not had my wedding yet, but I don't plan on drinking more than one glass of wine. I don't drink much anyway, so it won't be hard for me to control myself :)

In response to bemore's story: I would absolutely KILL my husband if he did that!
  • Options
    I'm not planning on drinking at all.  I want to be able to remember as many details as clearly as possible! Even a buzz would put a damper on the day for me, years from now when I'm telling my kids about mommy and daddys wedding I don't want to have to leave out a huge chunk because I can't remember it or I'm embarrassed by it! PLue, all your friends and family will be there, some may not have seen you recently and you want their memory of your day to be of you throwing back drinks all night?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh! I'm a light weight, usually I just drink like one glass of white wine, and I get a buzz that last for an hour or more. So I'm thinking that maybe two glasses of wine will do it for the night. I mean I don't want to be passed out on my wedding night! (:
  • Options
    my girls were awesome and made sure they distracted me throughout the day. that way i only had one glass of champagne before the wedding just to take off the nerves and they pumped me full of water throughout the day. but i found that i handled my booze better than i thought, i think it might have had to do with how excited i was.
  • Options

I carried the same glass of champagne around all night.  I couldn't get a chance to drink it for the life of me.  It's in lots of my reception pictures but it's always the same glass.

• Options
    for my sisters wedding i felt drunk and i hadnt even had a drink, i was just so happy it was over. i'm not married yetso we will see
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    DH and I actually had a good laugh about this when we left the reception and got to our suite in the hotel. We were both completely sober, I mean not even a buzz throughout the day, with us both having a considerable amount to drink.
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    JD807JD807 member
    First Comment
    No. Nor did I serve alcohol at my wedding. It was a large issue for DH and I...not so much for him, but his friends who drink. Most of my family is older folk who do not drink (sounds bad, but it's true...my dad is the youngest of 7 and he's 66..imagine the older ones?) my aunt just got over chemo and everyone else was way too young or had young kids to look after. Not only that, but my family has experienced 3 losses that all had to deal with drunk drivers and hit and runs. Our venue was right off the interstate and it ended at 8:00...i was not going to be held responsible for people getting out and getting on the interstate and drunk driving. It's a personal thing for my family and I really got a lot of slack for it. I told them I had no problem with them choosing for themselves to go to the hotel bar to get smashed, and i reminded them that we were all going out after the reception..so why not wait until then?

I agree with a PP, I was pulled around the room and onto the dance floor so many times that I couldn't breathe, never mind drink or eat...so I really didn't have time to get smashed. I would make the same choice if asked to redo it again...I just think i would rather try to remember the details of the day rather then see how tipsy i could try and get.
  • Options
    Besides my toasting champagne, I had a glass wine but was terrified that if I drank too much, I would "break the seal" and have to pee constantly. Our Coordinator had me go once in the very beginning and it was exhausting in that dress (I needed the help of at least two others and had to sit backwards). I would have missed half my reception if I had to go several times.
  • Options
    Everyone kept handing me drinks at the wedding. I didn't get 'wasted' but I got pretty drunk, it was more than a buzz. It was such an awesome time!

• Options
    PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    I enjoy being buzzed and I feel it would calm my nerves, so I do plan on drinking. I'll be careful though because I do tend to say and do stupid things! Keeping it to a drink an hour would probably be about right for me.

Good point about the peeing. LOL.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • Options
    I got a bit tipsy at our e-party so I was super careful at our wedding.  I alternated white wine/champagne with seltzer water all night long and that did the trick.
  • Options
    I drank one glass of champagne and two glasses of wine, but hardly felt anything at all.  Michael didn't get drunk either, I think he had two beers (disguised as champagne- he hates champagne but put the beer in his toasting glass, worked great!).  I did NOT want to be sloppy drunk at my wedding, although a couple of our guests did, and I didn't mind.
  • Options
    not had my wedding yet but i plan to be buzzy.

I have a large group of friend who will all be there and we enjoy going out and getting tipsy and silly.

But A) there is no way i'm getting drunk and being sick in my wedding dress cos EVERYONE at the reception will know and that'd be mortifying and B) i wasn't drunk at our engagement party and i think i enjoyed it more because i wasn't. Partly because i got to watch everyone else being drunk and laugh at my ratted fiance opening gifts when we got home :D

xx
  • Options
    I drank more than I planned, but i guess my adrenaline kept me from getting drunk...which I am glad for! When we left I was sober....which is good...i was NOT going to just go in and fall asleep! We had "business" to take care of!
  • Options
    I've thought of this, as I haven't had my wedding yet - I'm definitely planning on only having a couple of drinks!!! I don't want to get drunk, and if I drink too much I have to pee constantly, which would be another issue in my dress!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a glass of champagne during the driving around for pictures after the ceremony, and then I had a glass of champagne for toasting as dinner started.  I had planned to be in the buzzed phase, but was just TOO busy to drink!  haha.  Towards the end of the night I had some water because I was hot from dancing, but aside from that I was just having too much fun to drink. 

I also just asked my hubby if he was buzzed at all during the wedding, I knew he was "drinking" because I saw him but wasn't sure.  He laughed and shook his head, saying he had about 10 drinks that he started but never finished one because he kept putting them down and losing them!

I think this is pretty normal.  And I agree with others that your adrenaline is so high that day the whole night flies by in a blur (but an amazing, happy, wonderful blur!)  Just aim to not get drunk and sloppy and you'll be fine.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards