Wedding Woes
Options

Paying for Dress Advice

I don't know what to do.
My stepmom originally told me she wanted to gift me my wedding dress. It turns out, she put it on my dad's credit card. The same day, she walked out on him and told him she wanted a divorce. He has paid the 1000 deposit but is now scrambling for money to pay for a lawyer. I don't know what my options are. Obviously, I am willing to pay for the remainder of the dress cost and any alterations. Does anyone know if wedding dress stores usually allow you to make payments? Do you usually pay the remainder when you go for your fitting or when you actually take the dress home? This is a family owned store FYI.
I have postponed my wedding from this fall until next fall (2016). Will my dress yellow in the meantime? Any storage advice?

Re: Paying for Dress Advice

• Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015

I don't know what to do.

My stepmom originally told me she wanted to gift me my wedding dress. It turns out, she put it on my dad's credit card. The same day, she walked out on him and told him she wanted a divorce. He has paid the 1000 deposit but is now scrambling for money to pay for a lawyer. I don't know what my options are. Obviously, I am willing to pay for the remainder of the dress cost and any alterations. Does anyone know if wedding dress stores usually allow you to make payments? Do you usually pay the remainder when you go for your fitting or when you actually take the dress home? This is a family owned store FYI.
    I have postponed my wedding from this fall until next fall (2016). Will my dress yellow in the meantime? Any storage advice?

If it's a family owned store, then I would contact them directly to see what their store policies are.  Even if we say "Mine did this" or "David's says that" it won't be much help if your particular store has different sales policies.  I would go directly to them with these questions to ensure that you get accurate info.

I doubt that your dress with yellow in a year-ish timeframe.  Hang it in your closet in a garment bag, don't stick it in the attic or basement or garage, and it should be fine.

ETA:  I'd use a breathable garment bag, not like a big vinyl one.  Plus the vinyl one might give your dress a plastic smell.
  • Options
    Ugh.  What a situation. 

Most stores I've worked with ask you to pay a deposit and then the balance once the dress comes in.  I'd call the store, tell them there's been a change in circumstances, and find out what you can work out. I hope they'd be understanding and willing to work with you. 

Your dress should be fine.  Just keep it in a garment bag, in a cool, dry, dark place. I've been married almost 9 years and my dress hasn't yellowed.  
  • Options

Just pick up the phone and call to find out what your options are.  Some will let you do a payment plan, others prefer you do a deposit and then final once the dress comes in, etc.  You won't know until you talk to them specifically.

Your dress likely won't yellow...  I've got my daughter's Baptism and First Communion dress still hanging up and it hasn't yellowed in time.  Worst comes to worse, you send it to the cleaners to freshen it up.  But really, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't store it in non-breathable plastic/vinyl...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards