Not Engaged Yet

Saturday is here!

I'm assuming this board might be a little quiet this weekend since a bunch of girls are at @GoldenPenguin shower...hopefully having a blast! Penii and all!

So BF is working all weekend. He loves his job but man it sucks being on opposite schedules a lot of the time. Anyone else here in the same situation?

Oh and I don't know why I didn't mention this in earlier posts but we went ring shopping on Wednesday! So. Much. Fun. I could do that every day. I was pretty sure I knew what I wanted (simple 4 prong solitaire with round stone) but wanted BF to give his input too in case he had a strong opinion. All the rings were so pretty! But we both preferred the solitaire, so that's good! And I'm happy to say that I'm not obsessing or going BSC. Woo!! It'll happen when it happens. In the meantime, I am focusing on starting a new job on Monday and getting myself in shape (ugh winter weigh gain).

How's everyone else doing? Anyone get slammed with snow? Boston got an inch or so I think.

Re: Saturday is here!

• BF and I are also on opposite schedules. It's very frustrating. We actually schedule time to see each other otherwise we never would.

Lucky you got to go ring shopping!!! I wanna go so bad but even looking online is overwhelming for me right now. BF hasn't brought it up to go so I'm not in any hurry but I've definitely been thinking about it a lot lately.

Nothing going on today, it's BF's moms bday so I gotta run and get her a gift and then we are doing dinner tonight to celebrate. I'll probably get myself some new springish clothes while I'm out so I have something to wear that will be weather appropriate for some upcoming events I have.

We got like 2 inches yesterday and ten it flurried this morning!!! I am SOOO tired of snow. I'm gonna start fake tanning soon so I'm ready to show my legs when it's finally shorts weather. They're like sickly white lol.
  • Yay for ring shopping! When BF and I went I had an idea of what I wanted and then completely changed my mind once we got there!

• YAY for ring shopping.  I loved the solitaires as well (I thought I was going to want a 3 stone).

Because I'll probably forget and my work days have been pretty darn busy - hope you have a great first day at your new job!!

Tonight we're going out with BIL and BIL's GF, celebrating his Bday.

Anniversary
  • OMG. okay. I have to vent, I don't even care if nobody ever reads this thread again, I am just SO AGGRAVATED right now.

So I've mentioned it a few times but I have been shopping for a car for months. MONTHS. I don't have a lot of money, but I thought I could find a decent used car for around my budget that would last me a few years. Car after car after car I have looked at and either denied or been lied to and I am SO TIRED. So today my friend called the guy who sold her her car and he mentioned that with the amount of money I have I can put a big down payment on a used car from a dealer and only have a small car payment. I thought about it and I CAN afford a car payment if I put 50-60% down on a car, so that is what I am going to do. HOWEVER that is not why I am annoyed, I am actually pretty optimistic that this will work out considering how much I save and how much work I do aside from my day job.

I am annoyed because BF has had absolutely nothing to do with this process. NOTHING. He has listened to me gripe and tell him about my experiences and has kept his eye out for signs and ads, but he hasn't been around to take me to see any cars, I have had to arrange for people to come to my town which is really out of the way. As I mentioned in my last post on this thread, we have opposite schedules so I don't really blame him but I am still mad about it. So anyway I text him that I need go to a dealership to buy a car and he tells me to LEASE. As if he didn't listen to me at all when I have said 1000 times that I can't afford to lease, I don't have good enough credit to get a good rate, and I can't afford to get full coverage insurance on a lease. And when I explain to him that I CAN afford to put a big down payment on a used car, pay it off within two years, and to insure it, radio silence. And then I ask him if he can take me to a dealership, radio silence.

I hate depending on people, I am extremely independent and not having a car has made me really helpless in some ways and I am so tired of it and I just can't help but be annoyed at his indifference and the fact that he obviously hasn't listened to me as I have thought things through over and over and over to him.

TL;DR: BF doesn't listen and has treated my car search like NBD since day 1 and I don't want to yell at him about it so I vent on the internet to strangers.
  • FI and I are also on opposite schedules. It's hard. I like that I do get a lot of alone time but I definitely would love a little more "us" time. His days off are now Sunday and Monday so we at least get to see each other for the whole day on Sunday which is so nice!

Yay for ring shopping! I love solitaires too, I have a pear solitaire with a simple twisted band.

I'm in Boston too so happy about not a lot of snow but I want there to be NO snow and I don't want to wear my winter coat anymore! I'm so over winter it is really taking it's toll on me (even though it's technically spring now)

I am being SO lazy today. I'm still in bed! I slept late today, I really needed it. Then I proceeded to do nothing. I need to get in the shower soon and start some laundry.

• @untouchablets - Glad you can relate on the schedule thing. What do you and BF do? Also so sorry about your car situation. That sounds so frustrating. **hugs** Have you talked to BF about why you feel frustrated? Sometimes guys are so focused on trying to fix the problem they forget that sometimes we just need them to commiserate with us for a second. I would tell him you are frustrated and explain why and see if he changes his tune. Since you guys are apart a lot maybe he doesn't realize how frustrated you've been both with having to rely on other people because of not having a car and because of the actual headache of getting a car. Hopefully this is all sorted soon!

@bethsmiles and @Dignity100 Yeah was very exciting to go shopping! And to confirm that I still like what I thought I liked. :) And @Dignity100 thanks for the well wishes. I will report back after my first day.

@lavenderfields13 I do appreciate getting "me" time, but sometimes it's more than I need to catch up on errands, trashy TV, etc. Your ring sounds gorgeous! Where did you get it? Glad you had a lazy day, those can be great. PS - Exciting to have a fellow Bostonian here! Are you in the city?

• @untouchablets - Buying a car is always a pain in the bottom!!  I'm glad that you have a new plan to get a car that will suit your budget.  It's hard to tell what other people are thinking - did you ask him why he wants you to lease?  Does he know what your budget is - including: down payment/monthly payment/insurance/gas/maintenance?

Anniversary
  • I kinda just noticed it yesterday and when I mentioned going to a dealership in person the look on his face said it all. He's not interested and doesn't want anything to do with it. I can't even imagine why, you would think he'd want to help me at least shop around. My feelings were hurt and to avoid a fight and ruining the evening I kept my mouth shut. I did mention it to his mom who is always supportive and is happy to help me and agrees that it's a good idea for me to finance. I'm gonna put a budget together today but I have a rough idea of what I want to spend on everything. I will try to have a conversation with him today about it, I just wasn't in the right state of mind yesterday since I was upset.
  • @jenjen047 - Yay for ring shopping!!  I have a 4-prong solitaire and I LOOOOOVE it. We never went ring shopping though.

@untouchablets - I think we got about 4-5 inches on Friday here in NYC. I think it may be done though, thank god!!  I'm sorry about the frustrations of car shopping :(

We had our open house yesterday, it was a massive success!! I think at one point there were 40 people in our apartment!! Of course even though it was an open house everyone pretty much showed up within a half hour time frame and stayed for like 4 hours! The insane thing is that we got a ton of gifts! We figured people would bring booze (we got TONS of wine and liquor), but we got so many gifts too! Almost $200 in gift cards, FI's aunt bought us some waterford crystal glasses, we got a newlywed cookbook, and a bunch of other things. We called it an open house because we didn't want to use the term engagement party since a) we were hosting it ourselves, and b) we didn't want people to think they had to bring us things. But they did anyways! It was really overwhelming the amount of love we got from friends and family!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @untouchablets now that you've had some time to cool off have you tried talking to your BF?

@nycgal85 do you have a pic of your ring? I feel like I saw it on another thread but now I can't find it. Glad the open house went well!
  • @jenjen047 - Here's a couple pics of my ring. It's 0.8ct Solasfera diamond and I wear a size 7.5.

• Oh and here is another view of it so you can see the setting better

• @jenjen047 my ring is from an out of state jeweler. We're going to the Jewelers Building downtown though next month to look for wedding bands.

We don't live downtown - it is a town within Boston - I'd just rather not say the actual neighborhood. I'm paranoid haha

• @nycgal85 love it! Same setting I like! What is solasfera?

@lavenderfields13 we went to Joseph Gann in the jewelers building. Talked to Matt (pretty sure that was his name) and he was awesome!!
  • @jenjen047 - It's a "triple ideal cut" diamond. Basically instead of the typical 58-facets it has 91-facets and it has the highest level of fire, brilliance, and sparkle.

You can read about it here: http://www.solasfera.com/discover/unlike-any-other. My FI went to the jeweler who actually patented it here in the Diamond District but they sell them at lots of places.
  • Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    @jenjen047
    Here's my solitaire ring - mine is technically an 8-prong (but it looks like a 4-prong).

Mine is a slight by-pass - the diamond is a hearts and arrows (excellent cut); .93ct, G-color, Si1

**EDIT - typo

Anniversary
  • @dignity100 - gorgeous!  love the double prongs

thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards