Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Wedding drama didn't ruin my day!

Just a little over a week ago, my hubby and I said "I Do." While I wish I could say everything was as I imagined it would be, we faced several disappointments leading up to and during the day.

Our wedding was in the works for about a year and a half. The day after my husband proposed, we asked his brothers to be his groomsmen, and within a week or so we had picked a date. We let them know right away, because we picked a date right after the holidays and wanted them to have plenty of time to request off and make travel arrangements. That said, one of his brothers waited to the last minute (about 2 weeks prior) to request off from work. Lo and behold, his boss declined it because there had been a meeting scheduled for the day before our wedding. It was mentioned that if he had requested time off earlier, the meeting would never have been scheduled that day since he would have been out of town. We weren't even sure he was going to make it to the wedding, but he got on standby for a flight the morning of the wedding. So lots of panic and drama later, he arrived about an hour or so before the wedding, and luckily his tux fit him perfectly! (whew!)

The groom's two other brothers, one of which was the best man, did not come without their drama either. The best man has a very large dog, and unfortunately his dogsitter cancelled on him at the last minute and since it was during the holidays, he couldn't get anyone else. So the two brothers decided to cancel their flights and drive down, but there was a ton of drama and confusion as to when they were actually leaving! So we all had a huge panic about the best man not making it for the wedding either! Luckily they made it several days before the wedding.

The brother travelling with the best man also happens to be engaged to my best friend/ bridesmaid. I told her in advance that I knew how hard long-distance relationships can be since my hubby and I also started out that way, so I wanted them to be able to spend some alone time together. Little did I know they would spend nearly ALL their time alone!! And when the few times they were around, they were fighting nonstop, or upset about a fight, and/or dragging us into it. I ended up working this out with my best friend a couple days after the wedding, but there was alot of tension due to this.

Another bridesmaid was my SIL. She was very helpful in the months leading up to the wedding, picking out wraps for the girls, and fedoras for the guys (the guys wore zoot suits). She volunteered to do my hair and makeup, for which I was super grateful! But the day of the wedding, she spent about FOUR HOURS primping and pampering herself, while I blowdried my own hair and started my own makeup. Then I helped my sister/MOH get ready too. The whole time my SIL hogged the mirror and curling iron. She hurriedly curled my hair and finished my makeup about thirty minutes or so before the limo arrived. My sister was really upset during this time, because my SIL wouldn't go with them to help set up the reception hall because she said she had to do my hair and makeup, even though she hadn't even started by the time my mom, sister, and best friend had returned. (They did an AMAZING job by the way! The initial plan was for me to go, but things were so hectic I didn't have time. I am such a control freak, it bugged me a little at first, but I am so thrilled with what a wonderful job they did)

Another thing, was the best man and his mom had arranged for the limo as a really awesome surprise for me, since they knew we couldn't afford one. well unfortunately the beans got spilled early, which was no biggie, I was ecstatic they did something so amazing. What wasn't so amazing, was that right after we finished pictures following the ceremony, my husband's parents walked out of the church about two minutes ahead of us. Well they decided to take our limo over to the reception hall, about ten-fifteen minutes away. So my hubby and I had to stand out on the street corner (since the church got locked up and the people left right after we walked out) for over half an hour waiting for a ride!! It was really embarrassing as people kept driving by staring. My sister and her family waited in her car next to us which was nice (there wasn't any room for us, she had her three kids and its not a very big car). I joked about it though, saying I felt like I should show a little leg and flag down a car. I  really don't think his parents did it maliciously, they just sometimes do things without thinking like that. It just sucked that we ended up really late to our reception, and it was a little awkward while we waited for the limo.

So the last thing was that a couple days after the wedding my hubby,  the best man, the hubby's cousin (another one of my bridesmaids), and myself were all hanging out drinking in our back yard and the best man let it slip that my SIL and BIL- the one that flew in on the day of- had been scheming to cause a huge scene at our reception.  he said they were being really nasty in the car on the way to the reception, and he had basically flipped out on them- which surprisingly kept them in check the rest of the night. It's just really disappointing though. It's not like we don't get along. But they both like to be the center of attention, so........

But at the end of the day I married my soulmate!! The ceremony and reception were amazing, and although I was disappointed in the behavior of others, I didn't let anyone rain on my parade!!! I married my best friend and that's all that matters!

Re: Wedding drama didn't ruin my day!

• Options
    I'm glad you had a good time!
  • Options
    Wow, the biggest problems with weddings are the people involved. Excellent attitude about it.

Anniversary

• Options
    Great attitude! You can't change people so continue to be the best person and wife you can be!
  • Options

You handed all that wonderfully! It takes a lot to be able to handle extra stress ontop of wedding stress. I can't believe what people will do for attention. That is really pathetic. But you are right you married your soulmate and that is all that matters!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Til we wed!
  • Options
    Thanks all! My hubby is still upset with his brother and sister, but he is starting to let it go.

So in other news,  I had mentioned that my best friend is marrying one of his other brothers... Well this past weekend we went to Davids Bridal to start looking for her dress. We went with her mom and her sister... They were so selfish and rude to her, I felt so bad!! The first thing they did when we walked in the door was make a beeline for dresses for themselves to wear to her brother's wedding. Not a huge issue, but still a little selfish, since we were supposed to be there for her. They could have at least pretended to be interested in helping her, and looked for themselves AFTER.  Then her mom and sister completely ignored what she said she wanted, and repeatedly insisted she needed a halter and/or a mermaid. Two things she absolutely hates.  Halters because they bother her neck, and mermaid because she just does not like the look of them at all. But because they are all but screaming at her to try them on, she goes with it. Then when she starts trying on dresses, her mom and sister ignored her and kept going back to looking at dresses. She found her dress, and came out of the dressing room absolutely glowing!! But I had to go track down her mom and sister, so they completely missed that moment. Then her mom kept throwing her brother's upcoming wedding in her face all day, trying for some reason to make my friend feel guilty for having a day about her.  I could even understand if her mom was in any way involved with the planning or payment of her brother's wedding, but she is not at all!! I could understand if they had mentioned something before we went, but when she asked them the day before, they were all for it! 

My friend eventually (very nicely) asked her mom to stop bringing it up because it was making her feel guilty for even going to look at dresses. Her mom flipped out (in the middle of the store)  and yelled "WHY DO YOU HAVE TO RUIN THIS??!!??" before storming off. She then later accused my friend of causing a scene and embarrassing her, rather than the actual course of events. When we finally got back to her mom's house, we were chitchatting, the earlier tension swept aside. We got up to leave, and her mom snidely said "sorry if I made you mad earlier." My friend told her mom that she wasn't mad, but feeling guilty. Her mom flipped out on her AGAIN and goes "JUST STAB ME IN THE HEART!!!" and then stormed outside. Then my friend's sister starts screaming for my friend to go apologize to their mom , and howshe doesn't have kids so she doesn't understand. My friend looked at her sister and said " I don't have to have kids to get it, I'm not an idiot. " So her sister starts screaming at her at the top of her lungs. We finally had to just leave.

My friend cried all the way home. They ended up going to her house later and starting it up all over again. They made her question her sanity, because they turned it all on her and made up stuff she said, and basically denied ever starting with her.

I feel awful for her, and I know this is only the beginning. I told her not to let anyone rain on her parade, and that she did nothing wrong.

I tried to smooth things over throughout the day, but apparently her sister got even more upset by that, and the fact that I apparently know her sister better than she does... The only way I can make that situation less tense is by backing off completely, but that leaves my friend pretty much on her own. So we are pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place! I have a horrible feeling that the drama of my day is going to be nothing compared to the antics of her crazy family. Frown
  • Options
    Awesome job dealing with all of that! I'm not looking forward to potential family drama at my wedding. Hopefully people can behave!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards