Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Question for the Busty Brides

Hello all.  I purchased my dress this weekend, without seeing it or trying it on, 'cause I'm just that brave.  Its the Vera Wang VW351023 from Davids.  I love it, but it wasn't available at my local store or anywhere nearby to try on.  So after trying on similar styles, we tracked down the dress in one size smaller and it's being shipped to me in Nebraska from New Jersey.  I know I will need alterations done as I am in the process of losing weight.  I'm 11 pounds down with 30 to go. Wedding is in August.  For this reason, and because of my bust size, I'm thinking of having the dress altered from a zip-up to corset back.  My question is to the well-endowed brides out there, how did a corset back fit your bust?  Did it cut back on the alterations needed?  Did it offer enough support?  Did it make it easier to fit the dress to your waist?  For reference, I'm currently a 40DD,but I think I'll be switching back to the 38DD soon, and I may even hit 36DD by the wedding date.  Any comments/advice on your experiences would be helpful!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question for the Busty Brides

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Nothing. I have a very large bust and I wore a zippered back dress. It provided amazing support and I didn't even need a bra!

I just wish you all the luck in the world with buying a dress smaller than your current size. I had to size way up for my bust and had to have the dress altered down to fit.

• Options
    I do not mean this in any harsh spirited way, but, if you have lost weight before, does it come off your chest like you seem to be hoping it to do?  Also, a lot of women are stuck at DD or D cups and in a larger band than they really should be wearing, so if you were just sized at somewhere like VS, might I suggest some websites such as bratabase and Butterfly Collection to try to pin point your size now and if/when you lose weight and change sizes.
  • Options
    I wear a 28FF(H) and the zipper back is fine.

But a corset back is more forgiving if your weight is changing. You may still have to have alterations but a couple pounds is easier to adjust with the ties.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was a 40G at the time of our wedding. I had a corset back dress but I still wore a strapless bra. I didn't want the same horror story of a friend of mine. One of the bones to support the front of her dress broke on the way to the church and she didn't have a bra on because the dress should have been supportive enough so the girls were a little lopsided the whole time. I loved my corset and my weight was going up and down within about a 5 pound range two weeks prior to my wedding. Knowing I wouldn't have to worry about the dress being too tight or too loose because we could adjust with the corset was a huge relief. Which is why I spent the money to have it converted from a zipper to a corset.
  • Options
    doeydo said:

I do not mean this in any harsh spirited way, but, if you have lost weight before, does it come off your chest like you seem to be hoping it to do?  Also, a lot of women are stuck at DD or D cups and in a larger band than they really should be wearing, so if you were just sized at somewhere like VS, might I suggest some websites such as bratabase and Butterfly Collection to try to pin point your size now and if/when you lose weight and change sizes.

No worries, you don't come off harsh at all!  I have lost this same amount of weight before, in about the same time frame, and yes, some of it did come off the chest.  The cups of my bras were starting to get saggy, and I had to go out and buy new ones.  I will check out those websites you mentioned though.  The reason I settled on going one size smaller though is that I was informed they could alter up by one size and down by two sizes.  Luckily, if the dress comes in and there is just no way it's ever going to fit, they did say they would let me exchange for store credit, and there are other dresses there, in the store that I like, so I have an out if I need it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had to have my corset-backed gown brought in in the bodice area because it was too big.  She had to alter around the bustline as well to make it lay right, but it fits just right now.

• Options
    The dress came in Thursday and I just tried it on today.  I'm very happy to report that it zips all the way up!  It's definitely too tight, but since I'm still in the process of losing weight, I think we'll be A-OK come the wedding day.  May not even need the corset!  Thanks for your input ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    glad it worked out for you i am a street anywhere from 18/20-22/24 in tops and 20-24 in bottoms depending on how big the pants run..

store sample for my dress was a 22  trying it on she couldn't lace it up all the way and the top didnt lay right on my bust because it was two small. i measured at a 28 for that designer but i was only a 5 inch difference from the sample and my waist so we ordered a 26 when my dress came in the bust was so big i had to take it in like 3-4 times just to get it to fit right 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards