Chit Chat
Options

"stuffed sausage" bridesmaid

I saw this post on reddit.

I feel pretty bad for the bridesmaid. Maybe she has a goal, or maybe the bride could act like an adult and treat her bridesmaid like an adult and say that she doesn't think the medium size will fit, or maybe the bride could recognize the bridesmaid is an adult and just give her the damn size she wants OR call me crazy (and some of the redditors did lash out at one of the posters who suggested this) nix the whole stupid matching outfits idea.

Normally the advice on this subreddit is alright but this is just sad. Like I actually felt bad for the bridesmaid, normally I don't care. But lying to someone who is close to you just because of looks. Grrr!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: "stuffed sausage" bridesmaid

• Options
    It seems like buying smaller sizes for wedding related outfits is all too common. It's not clear if this is a BM dress or a matching t-shirt or something, but the best option to me is to ask for measurements and order the size based off that. If the BM loses weight, then she can have the article of clothing taken in. 

"Stuffed sausage" is a mean thing to say about your friend though...

• Options
    Yeah, this one is hard. I know from experience it's a bad idea to order in a size downing assuming you will lose the weight. I did that for one of my sister's weddings, I ordered my dress down at least a size, maybe two. And I just barely made it under the wire. Which was good because this dress would have been terrible to let out. 

It honestly depends on what sort of thing the bride is ordering. If it's a t-shirt, go with what the BM says. She knows her body. If it's something like a bridesmaid dress, I say go with measurements because sizing is so different. And then you can make sure the expensive thing will fit if you miss your goal.

But yeah, mean thing to say about your friend over a gift.
  • Options
    Yuck. I agree, don't lie to your friends. Also maybe just don't force them to wear matching outfits except for the BM dress itself. I agree it's not clear, but it seems like this is not the actual outfit for the wedding but something else. 

My sister and I went shopping for a BM dress this weekend for her. I had told her a color (any shade of that color) and told her to get whatever she felt comfortable in. But she wanted to shop with me so we did. She and I both loved her in a very fitted fit and flare satin gown in deep purple. The dress ran super tight, even one size up from her normal size was not flattering from certain angles, even though she has a great figure. I gently suggested we try it even one more size up. She handled it fine that I though the larger size was more flattering and ended up ordering that larger size because she's a big girl and we're both adults.
  • Options
    Oof this is tricky. I have hanging in my closet clothes in a range of sizes, from 12 to 20, all of which fit and I wear on a regular basis because WOMEN'S CLOTHING SIZES ARE INSANE. 

From the sounds of it, it's not actually the BM dress but (I'm guessing) a "getting ready" matchy matchy outfit so they can all look cute and blah blah for pre-wedding pictures. That's why I think asking for measurements is the way to go because those often give a far more accurate sizing reference then a stupid letter like M or L 

(But fo real, if I found out one of my friends called me a potential stuffed sausage because she didn't believe me when I told her what size I wear I'd be dropping that bitch like a hot potato) 

• Options
    I have sizes all from a xs to an xl, along with sizes ranging from an 8 to a 14. I don't really think you can just look at a person and know their size. She needs to order the size in what she was told, and then let the friend deal with the consequences. 

Or just not have matching outfits.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    redoryx said:

Oof this is tricky. I have hanging in my closet clothes in a range of sizes, from 12 to 20, all of which fit and I wear on a regular basis because WOMEN'S CLOTHING SIZES ARE INSANE. 

True dat. It's so annoying and sometimes humiliating to go up and up the size chart when you think you know your size. I too have clothes that fit and range about 8 sizes in my closet. I'm generally in the middle but the extreme outliers are some 4s and some 16s. 
  • Options

redoryx said:

True dat. It's so annoying and sometimes humiliating to go up and up the size chart when you think you know your size. I too have clothes that fit and range about 8 sizes in my closet. I'm generally in the middle but the extreme outliers are some 4s and some 16s. 
    Amen. I went bra shopping the other day. I have a size 40 band. They had me in a size 48 and I couldn't get it done up. I was humiliated so I left.
  • Options

redoryx said:

Amen. I went bra shopping the other day. I have a size 40 band. They had me in a size 48 and I couldn't get it done up. I was humiliated so I left.
    They probably had the cups too small, then. I couldn't put on a B-cup in any band size. (Well, maybe like a 56B but let's not try that)
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

redoryx said:

They probably had the cups too small, then. I couldn't put on a B-cup in any band size. (Well, maybe like a 56B but let's not try that)
    That's exactly the problem. I don't think bra makers understand... I have a 40 band which means my boobs are probably going to need a large cup size. Like LARGE. I think the one I'm in is a 40K (which the the equivalent of 8 D's I think the lady said.). I need more cup lol
  • Options
    "I am buying matching outfits for my bridesmaids as a present for my July wedding."  Sounds like a present for the bride and not the bridesmaid.  I think size is irrelevant - the bride should buy the size the BM requested.  She'll probably only wear it once anyway.
  • Options
    This is so gross and judgey and I hate it.

It's one thing if the clothing item is some weird size, in which case the bride should have said "Hey, guys, these are sized really weird so can you check the measurement chart first in case your size is going to be different than normal? I had to size up so I thought I'd better give you guys a heads up too."

But otherwise? Shut up and order her the size you're told to. She's been dressing herself for a while now, I assume, and can probably handle it. And it's not up to you to the be the Fashion Police on how the girl wants to wear her clothes.

Although if she's buying stupid matching tee shirts, I hate her anyway so whatever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Inkdancer said:

redoryx said:

That's exactly the problem. I don't think bra makers understand... I have a 40 band which means my boobs are probably going to need a large cup size. Like LARGE. I think the one I'm in is a 40K (which the the equivalent of 8 D's I think the lady said.). I need more cup lol
    It's crazy how this happens on both ends. There's like a bra sweet spot where you can find stuff in your size. I'm a 40D and I can usually find that combo, although I generally don't look in malls or Target anymore. My bff/MOH is a 44B (or something) and she can never find a bra that fits. Apparently most bra manufacturers don't account for ladies with bigger bands and smaller boobs either.
  • Options
    The first thing that entered my mind was "She's an adult. Treat her like one" and it just BAFFLED me how a lot of the people who responded the complete opposite. Micromanage much? Also, I don't think this is the actual BM dress. I believe it's either a 'getting-ready' outfit or something to wear showing you're a bridesmaid. I could be wrong but that's how I interpreted it.
  • Options
    I just can't get over someone calling another someone a "stuffed sausage." Like, why would you say that about someone you love and care about? I cannot see a situation where calling another human being a stuffed sausage is okay.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

I just can't get over someone calling another someone a "stuffed sausage." Like, why would you say that about someone you love and care about? I cannot see a situation where calling another human being a stuffed sausage is okay.

My sister calls herself a stuffed sausage (as in: I can't wear that, I'd look like a stuffed sausage). But I would never call her that, and she would never call someone else that. It's kind of a running joke when we go shopping and see a ridiculous outfit.

• Options
    anjemon said:

Inkdancer said:

redoryx said:

It's crazy how this happens on both ends. There's like a bra sweet spot where you can find stuff in your size. I'm a 40D and I can usually find that combo, although I generally don't look in malls or Target anymore. My bff/MOH is a 44B (or something) and she can never find a bra that fits. Apparently most bra manufacturers don't account for ladies with bigger bands and smaller boobs either.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. I have the exact same problem.    I finally found something that works: a bra extender CLICK.  Miracle. Worker. 

But to the original post.  Ew.  Just ew.  Why do weddings turn so many brides into children?!?!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Wait...so this isn't even for the dress, it's for a matching outfit?! I'm shocked that the bride considers this as a "gift." Just gross.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards