Wedding Party

Groomsmen Gift

My FI is having trouble figuring out what to give his GM. He has 8 total so he does not want to be broke but still wants to give them all nice gifts to show how much he appreciates them. These are all his close childhood friends and 2 of them are his brothers so they all mean a lot to him. He asked for my opinion so I thought I would ask my fellow Knotties what their FI gifted their GM so I can report back to him with some ideas lol

Re: Groomsmen Gift

• Tell him to shop for them like it is their birthday or Christmas.  Tell him to think about each persons hobbies, likes, dislikes, etc.  And all the gifts do not have to be the same.  

• I agree with Maggie on personalizing for each guy

Here are some ideas:
    - video game/controller
    - set of nice golf balls and tees
    - grilling utensils
    - sporting event tickets (or fave team gear if lower budget)
    - concert tickets (or fave band gear if lower budget)
    - fave magazine subscription
    - beer/sausage/cheese/etc. of the month club
    - gift cards (Game Stop, local movie theater, fave restaurant, coffee place, round of golf, etc.)

I will say though, that my DH was in charge of his own gifts. He ended up giving all the guys the same Invicta watch. It wasn't personalized, but it was his gift to give, so.....
    *********************************************************************************

• We worked with a seller on Etsy and gave each GM a framed print of their family crests.
  • Yea giving everyone something different and unique is ideal but I think he is going the route of getting everyone the same thing. He said that giving everyone different gifts could end up in some feeling like someone else's gift was better than theirs, which I didn't know guys cared about that kinda stuff but whatever lol 

I do like the watch idea though, his friends love watches so they would all certainly appreciate it. Thanks everyone for their ideas :) and I will make sure to tell him to check Etsy as well, they have tons of stuff on there.
  • My FI got all of his groomsmen DropCatch magnetic bottle openers and had them monogrammed after receiving them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tetela said:

Yea giving everyone something different and unique is ideal but I think he is going the route of getting everyone the same thing. He said that giving everyone different gifts could end up in some feeling like someone else's gift was better than theirs, which I didn't know guys cared about that kinda stuff but whatever lol 

I do like the watch idea though, his friends love watches so they would all certainly appreciate it. Thanks everyone for their ideas :) and I will make sure to tell him to check Etsy as well, they have tons of stuff on there.
    He could get them stuff that's the same but different. If he knows all the guys like/wear watches and ends up going that route, he could get all different watches but in the same price range or brand, so that they each fit what the individual guy would like to wear. Ya know? But that's IF each guy would actually wear a watch. For some reason, FI despises watches and would never wear one, and I've also noticed that most of his friends never wear one, so it wouldn't work for guys like that. 
  • We gave our wedding party their personal gifts after the wedding. Since each of our bridal party members were there with their SO and kids we have had the photographer do family potraits. I went to the dollar store and got some basic black frames and gave them the photos. I went with the dollar store frames in case the frames I picked out weren't their style, no waste in money, also I was on a budget.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Our guys got: a whiskey decanter with his initial on it and a bottle of whiskey, another got a plaque with his favorite baseball players quote with a book written by the same guy, another got personalized poker chips and another got this stupid set of mustache beer glasses and a six pack of cool microbrews...because he has a stupid obsession with mustaches.
  • tetela said:

Yea giving everyone something different and unique is ideal but I think he is going the route of getting everyone the same thing. He said that giving everyone different gifts could end up in some feeling like someone else's gift was better than theirs, which I didn't know guys cared about that kinda stuff but whatever lol 

He could get them stuff that's the same but different. If he knows all the guys like/wear watches and ends up going that route, he could get all different watches but in the same price range or brand, so that they each fit what the individual guy would like to wear. Ya know? But that's IF each guy would actually wear a watch. For some reason, FI despises watches and would never wear one, and I've also noticed that most of his friends never wear one, so it wouldn't work for guys like that. 
    This.

Also, people who are super into watches are probably not going to really care for anything you can get on a tight budget. My H is obsessed with nice watches, most of which are far more expensive than what you'd spend on a WP gift. (They're more expensive than what I'd spend on him for Christmas, so...). 

He'd tell you that there are some nice watches available at a lower price point, but you're still talking about 200+ each. I don't know what your budget is, but even a decent fossil wouldn't have fit into most WP gift budgets in the weddings I've been in. 
  • tetela said:

I agree with going Same, But Different.  Go with an "of the month" club; beer, smoked meat, wine, magazines.  Pretty much everything has an option for 'of the month'.  And spend the same amount of money on everyone, so some of them might only get a three month subscription, but another might get a whole year.

When I was a groomswoman, all the grooms-folk got a personalized beer stein.  I've only ever drank beer out of said stein at the Rehearsal Dinner.  Since then it's been sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
  • These are all great suggestions! I really like the whole idea of getting the same thing but slightly different at the same time. I will let him know and hopefully he makes up his mind soon :)
  • haleyk620 said:

My FI got all of his groomsmen DropCatch magnetic bottle openers and had them monogrammed after receiving them.

Did the GMs want their monograms on bottle openers?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

haleyk620 said:

My FI got all of his groomsmen DropCatch magnetic bottle openers and had them monogrammed after receiving them.

Did the GMs want their monograms on bottle openers?
    I'm not sure. I told FI he was in charge of the groomsmen's gifts, and this is what he chose. I guess technically it wasn't a monogram, just the first letter of their last names in an old english looking font engraved on wood. 

All of FI's groomsmen enjoy getting together and drinking beer so I'm hoping they will like these.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We only have a best man, but we are getting him a jambox speaker.
  • FI is buying their suits for them as a GM gift.  They are grey suits that can be worn again, rather than tuxes.  

My brother got all of his GMs flasks engraved with their initials and a bottle of their favorite bourbon or whiskey.  

I love @southernbelle0915 's idea of grilling utensils

Agree that personalized gifts are nice depending on what the dudes are into: Wine? A fancy opener like the Rabbit.  Beer?  Beer of the month club membership.  Thirsty stone coasters are also nice.  Some guys love cufflinks, others, not so much.  Fi loves them so I'm getting him a pair from Mignon Faget.  Nice leather wallets, money clips, etc. 

Perlis is a really nice men's store in New Orleans with really unique ties.  It's the old school type of store where you get nicely tailored things and excellent service.  They have online service.  

I tell this to people looking for BM's gifts, too.  www.flight001.com is a really fun site for people who either love to (or have to) travel.  Cool bags, grooming kits, organizational stuff that actually makes packing fun.  
  • My husband got gift cards for his wedding party. Different ones, depending on what the groomsman liked. Brother who loves to read, Barnes and Noble gift card. The groomsman who loves clothes, his favorite clothing store gift card. His best man got a gift card to a restaurant he likes. 

I know a lot of people don't like giving gift cards, but it worked for them. 

Sorry@onefootinthebayou but buying the suits is no different than buying the bridesmaid dresses. It's not really a gift because it's for the wedding.

• My FI is hoping to take his two groomsmen to an NHL game for a gift.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards