Chit Chat

Why are rugs so expensive??

Seriously. Where have y'all bought yours?  I need a new area rug (family room area, so something like 10x7) as mine is really showing it's age. Nothing special; the one we have right now is a solid dark brown color. Everything I'm finding is $500+!

imageimage

Re: Why are rugs so expensive??

• Have you checked Ikea or Homegoods?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We have wall to wall here so not rug.  But in the past I've gotten a Pottery Barn one that I hated.  Not matter what we did, the corners never laid flat.

We got a great deal on a 12x12 one a clearance sale race at a local rug place.  I still think it was over $500 though.    They had a lot of sale options.

Home Again has rugs too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Sometimes Carpet/flooring stores have larger remnants from carpet installations that are reasonably priced.  Might be worth a look if you're not 100% set on a color or weave.
  • I had one that was like 6x9ish and I got it at IKEA for about $100.  They have more expensive ones but I wanted simple and it was perfect.  I hate how expensive rugs are!

• I second Ikea for cheap rugs. RugsUSA also have a ton & run great discount specials.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ikea, and Ollie or big lots for cheap rugs.

There's a lot of work that goes into a quality rug. Hence money money money.

Anniversary
  • I scored this one at IKEA for $15 for our entryway a few weeks ago.

It's just under 4' by 6' so not big enough for you but just saying, amazing deals if you look for them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • chibiyui We have kitties who like to use the rugs instead of their scratching posts. Whatever we do, we can't seem to get them to get rid of their love of the rug. They use their scratching posts; I think they use the rug when we're not looking.

Thanks on the suggestions, knotties! Keep them coming. I will check Ikea & HomeGoods in my area, haven't heard of the other stores so I will use the google.

I just found Wayfair as well, and I think I'm in trouble. I really like this one, but not sure if it'll really match the colors I have already (CLICKY)

imageimage

• hellohkb said:

Have you checked Ikea or Homegoods?

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. 

We got a rug from Ikea for our office. Love it. I don't think the quality is any worse than our living room rug from Pottery Barn which cost a lot more.
    *********************************************************************************

• Ditto on RUGSUSA.COM they almost always have a 70% off section and decent quality. 

• chibiyui said:

Ikea, and Ollie or big lots for cheap rugs.

There's a lot of work that goes into a quality rug. Hence money money money.

Understandable. I wouldn't want to put a lot of money into that either.

My department store sells bound remnants 9 12 for 99.99 but they are solid, no patterns, so check budget and mid range furniture places if solids are an option as well.

Anniversary
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    Walmart.  :p  It's actually pretty and it'll work for a few years until we are in a more permanent home and can afford something nicer.
  • I always use rugsusa.

• Yeah, so expensive. We got ours at Homegoods but even those weren't cheap. Have you checked the Wayfair rug sale? http://www.wayfair.com/daily-sales/Affordable-Area-Rugs~E18439.html
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I bought a lot of rugs at JC Pennys when we moved into our house last November.  They usually have coupon codes and sales going on.
  • I have a rug I bought on Overstock. It's held up really well. 
  • Not sure of your style but I bought this rug for under my dining table.  I really like it and is pretty decent quality  CLICK

But I agree that finding nice rugs for not a ridiculous amount of money is really hard.

• I think our last one was from Crate and Barrel, and wasn't too bad.  A few hundred.  We looked hard at Ikea, but the set sizes didn't work for our space.  

Also check out furniture stores (Ashley, the Brick up here).  They often have rugs under their displays and you could find out if they sell those too (not necessarily the display one though).  But I agree.  Most we saw were ridiculous for a white square of carpet.  

• Again I want to say check out the local places that you might think are too expensive.   We got our huge rug at a pretty Ritzy place in the expensive area of Indianapolis.  We walked in assuming we could not afford anything, but saw the sale sign and figured we had nothing to lose.   They had a lot more reasonable rugs then I expected.

It's easy to say Target, Walmart, Ikea, etc.  But local places, even if you think they might be too expensive should not be discounted without looking first.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Same with us- Kitty like to scratch at it when we're not home to yell at her. We got it for $30 from Ikea so we really don't care if she messes it up.

• Not sure of your style but I bought this rug for under my dining table.  I really like it and is pretty decent quality  CLICK

But I agree that finding nice rugs for not a ridiculous amount of money is really hard.

That would actually look pretty perfect in my living room and we've been looking for rugs also!
  • chibiyui We have kitties who like to use the rugs instead of their scratching posts. Whatever we do, we can't seem to get them to get rid of their love of the rug. They use their scratching posts; I think they use the rug when we're not looking.

Thanks on the suggestions, knotties! Keep them coming. I will check Ikea & HomeGoods in my area, haven't heard of the other stores so I will use the google.

I just found Wayfair as well, and I think I'm in trouble. I really like this one, but not sure if it'll really match the colors I have already (CLICKY)

This  and his scarf-and-barf is the reason I don't have any rugs in my house.
  • See, this is where my cat saves me a lot of money.  I know that she will pee on any and all rugs, so I don't buy them.  :-P
  • I never realized how expensive rugs were until we bought a house with all hardwood floors!  I don't think I could ever order online......I'd be too afraid that colors, texture, quality, etc wouldn't be to my liking once seeing in person.  Then it would probably be a royal PIA to ship back, not to mention it would probably cost a pretty penny for return shipping.

That said, I've bought a rug from Home Depot, one from Crate & Barrel (it went on clearance a week after we bought I called and got the price adjustment; it's also my favorite rug) and a local department store.
  • Another vote for Homegoods.  I used to do purchasing for a home staging company and I would get most of our rugs from there because they were a bit different looking and not like "Hey I got this at Ikea!" because we staged high end homes.

Also I love Wayfair and Joss and Main for online choices.  Wayfair has regular stuff for sale, and flash sales.  Joss and Main is flash sales only.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Thanks for all the ideas, ladies!

Never heard of Joss and Main @ julieanne912lyndausviMaggie0829 But H refuses floral; oh well. The price is on point though and I never though of Home Depot so I will check them out!

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards