DIY Wedding Forum

Displaying your dress after the wedding

I'm absolutely in love with my dress. I want to figure out a way to display my dress in my home (would either go in my closet or room, it wouldn't be out in my living room or anything like that). I've looked into shadow boxes but I can't seem to find anything large enough, and everything else I'm finding is custom made and $1k+! 

I've also seen where people put them on dress forms, but I'm kind of on the fence with that idea (plus I'm not sure that would really preserve my dress). Any other ideas on making a shadow box or different way to display and preserve my dress?

imageimage

Re: Displaying your dress after the wedding

• I was thinking of doing something similar with mine after my June wedding. I'm sad to see that the shadow box frames are so expensive! I figured they would be costly, but not THAT costly. I'm hoping some other knotties have some good ideas for this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have no space for any of that so I can't make any recommendations based on experience.

However- and this comes from someone who is not terribly sentimental- could you get rid of some of the tulle and "filler" stuff under the dress to make it fit into a display box better?

Otherwise, I'd research how shadow boxes and the like preserve dresses. If it gets a lot of sunlight, I'd worry about it yellowing if not preserved well.

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We have no space for any of that so I can't make any recommendations based on experience.

However- and this comes from someone who is not terribly sentimental- could you get rid of some of the tulle and "filler" stuff under the dress to make it fit into a display box better?

Otherwise, I'd research how shadow boxes and the like preserve dresses. If it gets a lot of sunlight, I'd worry about it yellowing if not preserved well.

Good luck!

Good point! I will have to look into it. Thanks! & the filler is an idea depending on how thick the box is.

imageimage

• Custom framing at Michael's or JoAnn's might be your best/cheapest option.  Have the dress cleaned and put into a preservation box as it'll take much of the bulk down and go from there to determine the next move (bonus points to wait for one of the 60-75% off coupon sales).  You should be able to do it for less than $1K unless you're wanting a body-length display. 
  • Man. Some of those frame jobs are BAD.

Anniversary
  • If you're handy you can easily build one yourself. Shadow boxes are pretty basic.
    A dress form won't preserve your gown from the environment, so it will collect dust, and dinge over the years. They're a great way to display it for a few weeks, but if you want it to last, you'll need to preserve it professionally or put in a shadow box.
  • chibiyui said:

Man. Some of those frame jobs are BAD.
    Am I the only one who thinks that one at the end of the hallway is kind of creepy?

• levioosa said:

chibiyui said:

Man. Some of those frame jobs are BAD.
    Am I the only one who thinks that one at the end of the hallway is kind of creepy?
    Agree with you! If you were going to hang it up somewhere, I think putting in the closet would be better; that way you're the only one looking at it (besides maybe your husband). I doubt everyone living in your house would want to stare at that every time they go downstairs...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think a lot of these women should get their money back for the framing service. Although shadow boxing is a great idea, most of them look squashed and wonky! 
  • I'm absolutely in love with my dress. I want to figure out a way to display my dress in my home (would either go in my closet or room, it wouldn't be out in my living room or anything like that). I've looked into shadow boxes but I can't seem to find anything large enough, and everything else I'm finding is custom made and $1k+! 

I've also seen where people put them on dress forms, but I'm kind of on the fence with that idea (plus I'm not sure that would really preserve my dress). Any other ideas on making a shadow box or different way to display and preserve my dress?
    Wonderful!  You are in love with your dress.  I hope you get fabulous pictures of you wearing it on your wedding day.  FRAME THOSE!
    Share your love.  Donate or sell your fabulous dress so that another bride can wear it with as much pleasure as you will have on your wedding day.  Putting it in a shadow box is too much like putting it in a coffin, IMHO!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

I'm absolutely in love with my dress. I want to figure out a way to display my dress in my home (would either go in my closet or room, it wouldn't be out in my living room or anything like that). I've looked into shadow boxes but I can't seem to find anything large enough, and everything else I'm finding is custom made and $1k+! 

Wonderful!  You are in love with your dress.  I hope you get fabulous pictures of you wearing it on your wedding day.  FRAME THOSE!
    Share your love.  Donate or sell your fabulous dress so that another bride can wear it with as much pleasure as you will have on your wedding day.  Putting it in a shadow box is too much like putting it in a coffin, IMHO!
    As thoughtful as the advice is, I doubt she is willing to get rid of the dress right now. She seems pretty set on not only keeping it, but displaying it so she can continue to see the real dress in her home. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    I understand very well.  I still have my dress from 39 years ago.  It is taking up space in my storage room.  Big mistake!  I really wish I had donated it when it was still fashionable to wear long sleeves and high necklines.  It was the most beautiful dress I ever wore.  The truth is that when I am gone, it will be thrown out in the trash.  Very sad.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ^ You can still donate the dress. Many dresses can be altered for a different style or even a different purpose. If you want to donate it then you are the only one stopping you from doing so.
  • ^ You can still donate the dress. Many dresses can be altered for a different style or even a different purpose. If you want to donate it then you are the only one stopping you from doing so.

I have thought about it.  My daughter advised me that a dress with 39 year old perspiration stains on the bodice wasn't a cool donation.  Thank you for the thought.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Great 2 cents! FTR, although it's none of your business, I will keep my dress, for reasons beyond it being just my wedding dress.

Thank you for those who have made their suggestions on framing. It is something for me and me only, and I believe I will place it in my walk in closet.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards