Attire & Accessories Forum

When/Where to get alterations for a second-hand wedding dress?

Hello! I'm incredibly excited because I had purchased my dream dress from a seller on Tradesy. It arrived last Tuesday and is absolutely gorgeous! Howwever, since it is a second-hand dress, I'm not entirely sure where to go to get it altered. It is an Alfred Angelo dress, so would I be able to contact my local store and ask them to do it?

If anyone is from Pittsburgh, PA, do you know of any good tailors that could suggest?

And finally, my wedding is in December 2015. The only thing my timelines tell me in the planners I have is to order the dress at 8-6 months in advance to "make time for alterations". Since I didn't actually have to wait for it to be made, and it's already here, what time should I take the dress in, and essentially set the deadline for a weight loss goal? Thank you!!

Tessa, Bride-To-Be
December 19th, 2015

Re: When/Where to get alterations for a second-hand wedding dress?

• I can't really help you on the where, try posting on the local Pittsburgh board but as far was when about 8 to 10 weeks out is a good time to start alterations. It will probably take more than one visit to get everything perfect.
  • Basically any tailor that does alterations will be fine, just because it's second hand doesn't dictate where you can get it altered. 

I was told 6-8 weeks to go get my alterations done. So, hypothetically if your wedding date is the beginning of December, go early to mid October. 
  • Any wedding alteration place. Often that is cheaper than the designers store anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards