Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

did your bustle break?

Did you ladies reinforce your bustle...

whether you did or didnt ...did it break?

I love my bustle and Im scared to death that it will break before I get some great pics of it...or before guests at reception will see me with it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: did your bustle break?

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes, my bustle broke within the first hour of the reception, probably during our first dance.  So basically my bustle lasted during the cocktail hour and the very beginning of the reception - not long at all.  Luckily I was having too much fun to care.

I'm not really sure what reinforcing a bustle entails, but I'm quite sure my bustle wasn't reinforced.
    weddingcollage
  • Options
    Mine broke within the first hour too.  My wedding planner fixed it with a safety pin or two and it was fine.  I think it's pretty common for bustles to break if you do a lot of dancing or moving around.
  • Options
    My seamstress said that since she was doing mine with ribbons, it was very unlikely it would break.  She said the ones that break are the hooks and loops.  Just a thought when you're getting your bustle put in.
  • Options
    I had ribbons holding mine up (but only in two spots)...it broke during the father-daughter dance.  Bring lots of safety pins!
  • Options
    I had the ribbons, my dress was very light chiffon (sp?) and it broke after a while.  Have a whole bundle of safety pins for sure!
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • Options
    I had the ribbons and it was reinforced.  It broke within an hour.
  • Options
    Wow....I didn't know the odds were this high for your bustle to break....bummer.  I suppose at the time it doesn't really matter.  But....I have lace all along the bottom...I hope it doesn't ruin.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    oh my...i had no idea this was a common thing. my dress is EXTREMELY heavy. now i have some things to think about. thanks ladies!
  • Options
    Oh boy!  My train is long and will be very heavy I'm sure.  I almost wonder if a bustle is worth paying for if it will just break!
  • Options
    I had no idea this was common either!  My bustle did not break and I was moving/dancing the entire time.  One of the ribbons came undone about a 1/2 hour before the end of the reception, so we just tied it back and it was fine.

I did have an underbustle with 5 loops/ties.  I've heard the overbustles have a tendency to break because it puts more stress on the dress.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    My dress was very heavy, had a 5 point ribbon bustle and it was so hard to figure out!  It fell out and we just safety pinned it up, it was very annoying!
  • Options
    Wow... had never heard of it! Scary :-(

I've had some dresses for balls that had bustles and they didn't break even though I was dancing and moving around nornally..
  • Options
    Mine broke after much dancing and stepping on it...a couple of hours into the reception.
    It was a reinforced button, but my seamstress reinforced multiple buttons in case one broke. So I simply rehung the bustle on a different button and it held for the rest of the reception.

It really isn't that big of deal...your photographer will most likely get a million beautiful pictures without you noticing.
  • Options
    Technically mine did break BUT it was my own doing.  I was dancing like a crazy woman to "footloose"  and slipped on my dress and ripped one of the ties off.  Thankfully it was a french bustle so we just improvised and made it work.  No harm done :)
  • Options

I just got my dress fitted for pulling up the hem and adding the bustle... I'm having to go with the over-bustle because of the style of my dress, but I sure hope it doesn't break too soon!!!  It's really pretty the way it looks... :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is why I decided to have the train cut off my dress. Now I have no need to worry about the bustle.
  • Options
    My bustle was tied and it was on a light chiffon dress, so no breaking. However, my bridesmaid had a hard time figuring out how to tie the bustle.
  • Options
    Mine lasted just fine, five points with loops...I did step on it towards the end of the night and popped something, but it only hang a bit lower and didn't slow me down much.  So I was definitely glad that I had it done....there was no way I could have danced without it....my train was chapel length but the dress was silk satin and very VERY heavy.
  • Options
    I had an underbustle with 4 loops and it was fine.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    I had a 15 point bustle and it didn't budge and it was beautiful. It was a ribbon bustle. My dress was pretty long & big. I loved every minute I wore it.
  • Options
    My bustle ended up breaking a couple times throughout the night and my wedding coordinator had to use safety pins to hold my dress up.  Not fun at all.
  • Options
    My bustle did break but it was as I was sliding across the seat in the limo.  It was totally my own fault and my ma fixed it with her sewing kit she has brought for all 3 weddings.  She's used it in everyone now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards