Chit Chat
Options

Stuff that you're not sure if it makes you totally weird or not

Sometimes I wish I could trade brains with someone for a day to see if my thought processes and such are totally abnormal or not. 

I've always been a big reader, and there's certain words I'm not sure how to say because I read them much more than I hear them. Not that unusual. The other week I stumbled over "gynecologist" and my clinical group laughed at me and I explained I get mixed up because I picture the word in my head and people looked at me like I made no sense, but my instructor nodded and said "so you're visual, huh?"

It's true. I'm very visual. Nothing makes sense if I can't at least see a picture of it. I tried to explain this to H the other day, he thought I meant I pictured the object I was talking about. No, I picture the words, as though I am reading them from a book out loud. H now thinks I'm a weirdo.

So does anyone else do this? Do you picture anything as you formulate words? 

Along the same lines I was talking to my bff about some of the weird things I thought about as a kid. I went to Catholic school and I was that second grader that, upon learning only believers could go to Heaven, wanted to know how could it be that God could punish a kid that lived in some other country that wasn't raided to believe in Jesus or whatever? Teacher brushed me off and friend said I thought about things a lot more than she did as a kid.

That said, I'm inattentive ADHD and very frequently lost in my own thoughts. Could have something to do with it. Hope this made sense, not sure how to word it and I've been drinkin'. 

On a lighter note, how the hell do you wear a thong regularly without it living up to its nickname of butt floss? Am I missing something here?  

Re: Stuff that you're not sure if it makes you totally weird or not

• Options
    I can't wear thongs!
    Some words I realize that I've read a thousand times but have no fucking clue how to say.
  • Options
    Growing up there were words that I knew aurally but when I read them visually, I made absolutely NO CONNECTION they were the same word. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I would also love to trade places with DH for a day.  I would love to know what he's thinking/feeling/experiencing etc.  

I am constantly telling DH that I don't know why he puts up with my quirks and weird things, but I can't happen to think on any specifics at the moment.  

• Options
    I thought about very deep stuff as a kid. I decided I was agnostic at age 11 (I can still remember the basic thought process that led me to that conclusion over a number of months). I was a very thoughtful and introspective child. An old soul.
  • Options
    I sometimes sing-talk and make up songs for my pets and nephews and niece.

Also there have been words I've seen as million times that I have no idea how to pronounce.
  • Options
    I would always picture walking on the ceiling of every house, when I was a kid. Literally... EVERY HOUSE.

Then, I always thought about inventions... Like the combustible engine or highways. Especially highways. I know some highways are poorly thought out, but it is still amazing how some people thought one line from point A to point B could get you somewhere, especially when they are never straight lines. There are on and off ramps, one way streets, junctions, underpasses. When you think how they planned highways around a city, I could think about it all day.

I, also, have favorite words, they are usually words that look funny... Even in French. I am so very weird.
  • Options
    There are a lot of words that I didn't put together when I was younger. Like I remember thinking that it was "lacto sintolerant" and I was shocked when I learned it was lactose intolerant. Haha. Same with sour cream & onion chips. I always loved them but never pieced together that it was actually supposed to taste like a tub of sour cream and an onion.

• Options
    My parents are from NYC. 
    I grew up thinking carbonated water was "Seltza" and since I don't use that word that often, the first time I heard someone say "Seltzer" I was completely confused.
  • Options
    I can understand the word thing. I have a speech impediment so I stumble over words a lot. I went to speech therapy for seven years. One of the reasons why I fell in love with books is that they didn't judge me if I said the word wrong. It also helped me expand my vocab so I can use words that I ca actually say than trying to pronounce things. I also get the weird thinking thing.

My family thinks I have autism. I don't think I do, my brain is just wired differently.  I still need to take the offical test to diagnose me but its so expensive. My family claimed I was diagnosed but turns out that therapist wasn't qualified. That was surprising, the man with sock puppets wasn't qualified "eyeroll".
  • Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I have a very, very substantial inner world. I basically live in fantasy half the time. Not easily distracted, though, and I'm good at multi-tasking.

I also have this weird... I don't even know what to call it. Listening to certain people, sometimes, brings on this weird sense of peace and relaxation in me. It's not that they have especially soothing voices, they can even be up-talkers or poor speakers or whatever, and I never know who or what will bring it on. But I tend to actually let telemarketers give me their full spiel because, often, I find it soooo relaxing. It's like my brain is being petted. Some Youtube presenters and such, too.
  • Options
    I was a deep thinker as a kid, too. And I had some severe anxiety issues even though my family's circumstances were relatively good. I would stay up at night and worry and cry about the random unlikely things that I was afraid of.

On a lighter note: I brush my teeth in the shower, and I number my pairs of socks. And I wonder whether those things are really as weird as FI thinks they are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited March 2015

Oh I was a weird kid, for sure. I think I've gotten better...or at least better at hiding it ;)

So I used to see those Sally Struthers commercials where you could sponsor a child living in poverty. Well, I got it in my head that these kids lived in landfills. And of course I felt bad for them. So naturally, I threw away wrapped snacks and unopened juice boxes. You know, because the landfill kids needed snacks too.

OMG I'm dying. 

• Options

Oh I was a weird kid, for sure. I think I've gotten better...or at least better at hiding it ;)

So I used to see those Sally Struthers commercials where you could sponsor a child living in poverty. Well, I got it in my head that these kids lived in landfills. And of course I felt bad for them. So naturally, I threw away wrapped snacks and unopened juice boxes. You know, because the landfill kids needed snacks too.

OMG I'm dying. 
    This is the cutest fucking thing ever, omg.
  • Options
    I visualize words in different languages depending on what the topic of conversation is. I was born in one country and moved to a different country as a little kid, and mostly lived there, then moved here a few years ago. Most of the time I'm OK thinking in English (saves time) but then there are specific things that are much easier for me to conceptualize in language A, and then other things in language B, and yet other things in language C (where I did part of medschool) which leads to occasional weirdo translations into English on my part that don't make sense (but entertain FI and friends). 
    Also I'm the only person in my circle of friends that loves SciFi in general and Star Trek in particular. I like thinking about what humanity may accomplish in the distant future (I'm pretty optimistic, despite many facts re: humanity today pointing to the contrary). Again, weird to a lot of people in my circle. 
    Oh and despite being in the medical profession and having had to see people die on numerous occasions, there is a part of me that somehow can't come to terms with the concept of death. Like, that one day, I... see I can't even say it. OK that got really intense really quickly.  Sorry. I think I'll go back to picking out wedding invitations now. 
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • Options
    Landfill snacks ahahaha.  That's adorable. 

I vividly imagine myself having conversations with people. Sometimes I get so into it I start gesturing, like moving my hands or cocking my head or whatever and then I catch myself. 

Similarly I imagine some strange scenarios.  A lot of times I end up imagining how I would feel if someone close to me died.  I've thought about what if my bff got in a car accident and died and it's intense enough to where I start crying and then I'm like hold up weirdo she is fine. 

Even though my parents were really not violent and they would never, I used to sometimes worry that my dad would kill my mom, or they'd kill me, or if I didn't know where they were I'd worry they'd killed themselves. 

I'm glad this thread didn't go unanswered, I would've been embarrassed haha. 
  • Options
    I am an extremely visual person as well, OP, as is my best friend. I think it is more common than people are aware, but we are just now beginning to identify it as a specific way of learning/understanding things. I am also an avid reader and I usually can understand unfamiliar words, but heaven help me if I have to say them aloud--I just know what it means, but I don't have a clue how to say it.

When I was younger my parents and I moved into a house that my dad built from scratch (this is relevant later), but the land once had another house on it that burnt down. No one died there or anything, the family was thankfully on vacation when it happened. Long story short, I used to think I could hear ghosts or thoughts or memories talking to me at night, and it got so bad that I would refuse to go upstairs alone or I would tell my mom I couldn't reach something so she would come up and help which I thought mad all the bad stuff go away. I eventually grew out of it, but I always thought the house was haunted, despite it being brand freaking new.

I also had an imaginary friend when I was younger who was...the cartoon version of Beetlejuice. So that might say something about me in general lol

For those who are unfamiliar with Beetlejuice the cartoon.
  • Options

Sometimes I don't know if I've actually said something, or if I just thought about saying it. It's lead to a couple of awkward scenarios of me repeating myself without realizing it.

I do this all the time. It drives FI nuts when I repeat things, and also when I say I thought I told you about that. Ugh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 said:

Sometimes I don't know if I've actually said something, or if I just thought about saying it. It's lead to a couple of awkward scenarios of me repeating myself without realizing it.

I do this all the time. It drives FI nuts when I repeat things, and also when I say I thought I told you about that. Ugh.
    I often do this too. So I start a lot of sentences to FI with "Did I mention that..." or "Did I remember to tell you..."

I'm sort of a visual person, so I know what you mean OP. Sometimes when I'm bored I think-spell things. Like I go through the letters to spell words in my head. And lots of times those are really simple words, but something about it soothes? Or at least gives my brain something to do? I don't know.

I also have this thing where when I'm reading to myself I just skip pronouncing a word if I don't know how to say it. Like the first time I read Harry Potter, Hermione was just H----- in my head. I didn't realize I was doing that until my little sister asked me to read the book aloud and I realized I didn't know how to pronounce Hermione at all. I was just skipping it.
  • Options
    anjemon said:

blabla89 said:

I often do this too. So I start a lot of sentences to FI with "Did I mention that..." or "Did I remember to tell you..."

I'm sort of a visual person, so I know what you mean OP. Sometimes when I'm bored I think-spell things. Like I go through the letters to spell words in my head. And lots of times those are really simple words, but something about it soothes? Or at least gives my brain something to do? I don't know.

I also have this thing where when I'm reading to myself I just skip pronouncing a word if I don't know how to say it. Like the first time I read Harry Potter, Hermione was just H----- in my head. I didn't realize I was doing that until my little sister asked me to read the book aloud and I realized I didn't know how to pronounce Hermione at all. I was just skipping it.
    I do the same thing! It's gotten worse since living with DH and The Kid. The Kid frequently plays deaf (usually around chores, homework, bedtime, etc.) so it throws me off even more.

Also, I answer to lots of different names. I'm an identical twin so I answer to my name and hers. When I was in elementary school, there were 2 other redheaded girls around my age. Teachers would confuse us (because all blue eyed redheads look the same) so I got into the habit of answering to their names too. Decades later, I still turn when I hear those names being called.

And, because the other post is making me think of this, my sister and I were seriously warped around religion. When we were 6 or 7, we had a babysitter decide that we weren't getting the "correct" religious education. She decided to teach us about Jesus (we were raised Jewish-ish) and her dismissal. This lead to a phase of crucifying stuffed animals, though no spikes or wreaths or anything. My parents thought it was hilarious until it scared off a new babysitter. They eventually needed to be more proactive about our religious education to fix that mess.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    @wandajune6 everyone in my family has attempted baptism on an animal at some point. Hahaha. I tried to dump the family corgi in a bucket and my sister did similar to newborn lambs. 

When I was little I thought you had to marry someone with the same last name as you and that's why husbands and wives (generally) have the same name. 

I also remember really wanting to know why people wear clothes because really what's the point. Born to be a nudist ahaha. 
  • Options
    FiancB said:

@wandajune6 everyone in my family has attempted baptism on an animal at some point. Hahaha. I tried to dump the family corgi in a bucket and my sister did similar to newborn lambs. 

When I was little I thought you had to marry someone with the same last name as you and that's why husbands and wives (generally) have the same name. 

I also remember really wanting to know why people wear clothes because really what's the point. Born to be a nudist ahaha. 
    Haha, my cousin and I used to baptize each other in the pool. 

When my mom got pregnant with my brother when I was 4, I could NOT figure out how she just became pregnant.  I thought all women already had a baby in them, and when they were ready to cook it, they just magically were pregnant.  I also didn't understand how they were delivered.  Apparently that was the year that mom decided I was too old for joint bath time--I really wanted to see how a baby could fit out.

• Options

When I was little I felt so badly for people who didn't speak English. I thought it must be so hard for them to hear something in Spanish/ French/ Chinese/ etc and then have to translate it in their heads. Then to reply they would think of what to say in English and then translate it back to the other language.

It never occurred to me that people were capable of thinking in other languages.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, so I didn't exactly consciously think this, but...

When I was younger, I used to have this expectation that I would somehow be able to take field trips to other time periods. It was just in the back of my mind somewhere. Like if we were learning about ancient Egypt or the 60s or whatever, some part of me would be thinking, "Sounds rad, can't wait to see it! When do we- Oh. Right. Never mind."
  • Options
    I am ALWAYS talking to myself. It helps me think to say things out loud so oftentimes at work I'm mumbling something to myself like, ok we've got this event book, but now I need to send out the agenda, etc. It's super awkward because my coworkers always have headphones on and they think I'm talking to them so they stop and are like what?? I'm like ehh just talking to myself... 

I even do it when I'm driving, going over my to do list or something. I just hope people think I'm singing instead of talking myself. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    littlepep said:

I am ALWAYS talking to myself. It helps me think to say things out loud so oftentimes at work I'm mumbling something to myself like, ok we've got this event book, but now I need to send out the agenda, etc. It's super awkward because my coworkers always have headphones on and they think I'm talking to them so they stop and are like what?? I'm like ehh just talking to myself... 

I even do it when I'm driving, going over my to do list or something. I just hope people think I'm singing instead of talking myself. 
    FI talks to himself constantly and it makes me violently uncomfortable, because I can hear him, like, mumble/whispering under his breath while he's in the bathroom or whatever and he sounds crazy, and I'm also thinking "Are you complaining to yourself about me?" which is totally irrational but it always sounds like he's mad about something so...yeah. I've just started to tell him whenever he does it, like "Hey, you little creep, you're talking to yourself in there!" so he can either share with me or finish the conversation in his head.

I imagine bad stuff happening a lot. Like I'll be driving and expecting a rock to hit my windshield, or walking downtown and kind of expecting myself to slip on some ice or for someone to grab my purse, or I'll be sitting in my office and hear a noise from the ceiling and expect a tile to come crashing down or whatever.

It's getting worse as I get older and I'm starting to wonder if I need anxiety meds or breathing exercises or something because I'm pretty well constantly expecting stuff like that.

I did the word stuff a lot as a kid too, had no idea how to pronounce stuff I'd only read before.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    littlepep said:

Same. It helps me organize my thoughts. And most of the time I don't even realize I am doing it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also have a lot of conversations in my head, and that often leads to wild gesturing and overly expressive faces, while I'm sitting alone in the car or walking down the hallway. But I always have SUCH GREAT COMEBACKS in my head!

I also remember a point when I was little that I was sure I was supposed to be able to zoom in on things and make them larger/clearer with just my bare eyes. I distinctly remember this moment of trying to zoom in to see something better and being really surprised and disappointed that I couldn't.

I also developed really strange attachments to the most random inanimate objects. Like I would be cleaning my room and just suddenly think "what if all these THINGS have feelings and I'm just throwing them away?" I saved this little blue piece of cut off plastic lanyard floss and made it a little house inside a jewelry box.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards