Wedding Reception Forum
Options

need ideas

I am getting married 9-9-2017 and am starting to plan now since I have 2 kids and am going to school full time. I am having a Phantom of the Opera theme wedding. Our colors are black and scarlet our flowers will be roses and calla lilies. Our guest list is going to be at least 200 people. I would love for your ideas!!!

Re: need ideas

• Options
    Have a comfortable venue, lots of great food, and alcohol guests don't have to pay for.

And don't get too into the theme.  Overly theme weddings make me think of prom themes.  Years later, you shake your head while you look at the photos.
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

I am getting married 9-9-2017 and am starting to plan now since I have 2 kids and am going to school full time. I am having a Phantom of the Opera theme wedding. Our colors are black and scarlet our flowers will be roses and calla lilies. Our guest list is going to be at least 200 people. I would love for your ideas!!!

My idea would be to ditch the Phantom of the Opera theme and change your theme to love and marriage.

Your avatar is @johnswife1216 are you already married?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Are you actually john's wife and married? 

If not, ditto @atlastmrsg - the only must-have's are seats for every butt, food/drink appropriate for the time of day, shelter from any elements, no gaps, and not asking your guests to work/do things for you. Outside of that, do as you please.

The things that usually make the best weddings are awesome food/drink, great music and a comfortable venue. No one remembers stuff like chair covers, linen colors, and favors.

Red, white and black should be really easy to colors to plan. Just make sure you prioritize the things above and figure out a budget that accommodates all 200 of your guests (with those things) before you pick things like flowers and add ons. Stuff like flowers and extras should be the last things you spend money on.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Honestly, ditch the theme. For all the effort you could end up putting into it, not very many people remember the decor. They'll remember if they had fun. So just pick a venue and host is properly. Pick some colors and look on Pinterest for ideas. 
  • Options
    I would keep the color scheme but not have a theme.
  • Options
    This is so funny because my bridesmaids just threw me an amazing bridal shower yesterday that was Phantom of the Opera themed (my FI and I got engaged at a performance of Phantom). So they had red and white flowers and confetti hearts on the tables made of sheet music. The favors were hershey kisses in an organza bag that had the half face mask and rose glued on. I heard that MOH got the bags from Etsy. It was very tastefully done since they focused more on the red and white elements than on the black (although the cake had black frosting, which I would not recommend for your wedding, an Opera Cake would fit better for that). But it was just wonderful. For decor I'd focus on creating a romantic feel with the colors and use a lot of candles. Candelabras as part of your centerpieces would be amazing if you could pull it off/if you find a venue that allows it (not all places will let you have exposed open flames like that). Good luck!
  • Options
    Ditto PP's.  Perhaps have your first dance to "All I Ask Of You".  But I wouldn't go overboard with the theme.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Cute theme and you can go with it with little touches like with your favors, but if you go with colors and a style instead a theme, you'll have an easier time finding decorations and getting things to go together.
  • Options
    If you are going to have a theme, make sure to keep it understated. Use the colors and pick a few songs, but dropping a chandelier in the middle of the dance floor is overboard and cheesy.

Since you have plenty of time, focus on getting the less fun, but necessary, bits out of the way first. Start with your budget. Do you know what you have saved? Do you need to save more? If anyone has offered to contribute, what will that amount be and will it come with strings? Then start with the guest list. (You can probably hold off on collecting addresses just yet, but you'll want to figure out who you are inviting, their kids, etc.)

Once you get budget and guest list down, then start looking for a venue and a caterer. Food and bev are going to take up the majority of your budget, and are probably the most important aspect of your reception. 

Once you have all those things down, you can start looking for your other vendors: photog, DJ, etc. Wait until you are within 12 months of the wedding to start shopping for any decor or clothing. (Also, wait until then to ask any WP members). You will see thousands of things while you are starting to plan, and you will change your mind about a thousand things. You don't want to spend a ton of money committing to one look, and then end up scrapping it because the idea gets stale 2 years later. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards