Chit Chat
Options

Ideas for a Pork Roast

This weekend my in laws gave us a 3 1/2 pound pork roast that they cut off of a huge hunk of pork they got from an Amish store. Normally, I make bbq pulled pork with something like that, but we are interested in something other than BBQ this time. We pretty much never have pork, so I am at a loss. I am poking around my favorite food sites for ideas, but it is mostly coming up with different BBQ pulled pork recipes, which we don't want.

Any ideas for a crock pot recipe we could use the roast for? I would love to just throw stuff in the crock pot and let it cook while I am at work.

Re: Ideas for a Pork Roast

• Options
    I really love pork roast with onions and apples.  I usually just slice them up, throw them in the crockpot with the roast, and put a cup of water/stock/broth in too.  Sometimes a little garlic if i have it and a couple teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.   I think the flavors really compliment each other!
  • Options
    pork tacos!!! 

We just made some last week that were DELICIOUS with pork tenderloin, sliced into little strips and seasoned with cumin, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. 

We put them in little corn tortillas with a super easy avocado sauce and a black bean salsa, with some diced jalapenos for FI, and shredded cheese. So good! 
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    You could do pork tacos!

I make mine in the crockpot with the juice of 2 limes, a tablespoon honey, some salt, cumin,  and chili powder (or whatever other spices you like for Mexican/tacos).  Good over cilantro rice or on tortillas!

ETA - same thoughts as @novella1186 :)
  • Options
    I did it Italian styled and made some pasta for the side.  I used Zesty Italian dressing over the pork while it cooked in the crock pot.  You could throw in some extra seasonings, but the zesty Italian usually has a good mixture on its own.  After it finished cooking, I added some tomato sauce to the dripping/dressing and used it as a sauce with the pasta and pork.  Added some parm cheese and it was delicious!
  • Options
    I do an Asian-type glaze with pork that FI likes.

I sear it quickly on each side in a large pan with a couple of teaspoons of sesame oil, then take it out and put it in my Dutch oven, then deglaze  the pan with pomegranate juice. I throw in some diced shallot and garlic and add fresh ginger (I usually buy the kind that's in a squeeze tube), a teaspoon or so of Chinese five-spice powder, a couple of glugs of soy sauce, a tiny bit of brown sugar and chili-garlic paste (the rooster brand) to taste. I throw that in the Dutch oven once it's had time to reduce a bit, put the lid on, and slow cook until the pork is done, glazing it with the sauce a couple times during cooking.

After the pork is done, if the sauce isn't thick enough I put it back in a saucepan and reduce it until I like the consistency, then drizzle it over the sliced pork. Sometimes I top it with fresh green onion and sesame seeds if I'm feeling fancy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would put it in a dutch oven with tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, onions, and rosemary. You can also cut slits in the roast and put garlic gloves in them. Put the veggies on the bottom and top with the roast. Add a little bit of white wine. Roast at 325 for approx 5 hours. It will fally apart. Simple but delicious.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Not a crock pot recipe but I like to make it with a mustard and herb crust.  I chop up fresh herbs, thyme, rosemary, sage, fresh garlic, sea salt and fresh pepper to taste, with some olive oil and Dijon mustard, I crust the pork, you can poke holes in it to and put slices of fresh garlic and roast at 375 for about an hour, depending on size.

• Options
    Super easy (pinterest style) crock pot: cut slits in it about 1" apart, drizzle honey into the slits and put a slice of apple in each one, line the bottom of the crock pot with apples, put the roast in, cover in more honey and cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cook on low for 8hrs.. YUM!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like to marinate pork chops with honey, lemon juice and chopped fresh mint. I bet you could do it just as well with a roast.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    making mine tomorrow!

Crock Pot Balsamic Pork Roast
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 8 • Size: 3 oz pork •  
    Calories: 214 • Fat: 12 g • Carb: 4 g • Fiber: 0 g • Protein: 21 g • Sugar: 3 g
    Sodium: 196 mg  • Cholest: 72 mg 

Ingredients:
    • 2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast (sirloin roast)
    • kosher salt, to taste
    • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    • 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
    • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 tablespoon honey
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! We are torn between the tacos or that Asian glaze. Yum!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards