Chit Chat

Poll: How much did your marriage license cost?

Re: Poll: How much did your marriage license cost?

• pinkcow13 said:

Wait, where are you getting married?

Funny, I was just looking into the licenses a little while ago. $35 for NYC. I wonder how long it takes to get it, as in waiting on line and all that. We're thinking of going soon during our lunch break.
    Getting married back home in Wisconsin. I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that they'd have such a high fee!

Oh well. I guess I'll just go to the JOP here and turn my "real" wedding into a PPD! I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • pinkcow13 said:

Wait, where are you getting married?

Funny, I was just looking into the licenses a little while ago. $35 for NYC. I wonder how long it takes to get it, as in waiting on line and all that. We're thinking of going soon during our lunch break.
    I'm so glad Michigan doesn't require both people to be there to get it. Between their crazy hours and my 45 minute commute, we never would have gotten married!

• Where I am it will be $100.00. I called 10 places and EVERYONE is out of stock. They're good for 30 days so I'm wondering why everyone is getting married before June lol

Out of stock?! How can they go out of stock!?
    HA I was thinking the same thing. Like they ordered enough for a certain number of people to get married? "Sorry try again next month!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We both had to be there to get it and the nearest location was like an hour away. 

After they issued it, I noticed that H would have a birthday between the time the license was issued and the wedding date. So we walked back in and asked if his age, listed at 27, but he'd be 28 at the time of marriage would be an issue and they didn't know. I had to call a number and leave a message to see if it would be a problem. How do you not know these things?!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Ours is $27.50. 

Luckily only one of us has to go. Logistics are a current nightmare. 
  • $60 in Cook County, IL plus $30 for the marriage certificate after the fact so you can change your legal name if so inclined. 

I'll also point out I was highly disappointed because acquaintances of mine posted their marriage license as a picture on FB and it was beautiful- fancy script and whatnot. Not sure what county they were in. Then I got my Cook County one which was plain and boring.  Knowing that the signed license gets filed anyway, making it pretty is pointless anyway, but I was just surprised. 

• We both have to apply in person - my boss is being a super bitch these days so we were planning on going yesterday, but I hate to ask to come in late.  So we're gonna go get ours next Thursday because I have a dr appt in the morning so we'll go before then since I'm gonna be late anyway.  Our county is very small, so hopefully we can be in and out in a hurry!

• It never occurred to me that both people would not have to be there to get it, but I need to look into that, because FI can't usually get away from the office during lunch. I think ours is $16 with our certificate from PMC, but it would be $26 without.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:

It never occurred to me that both people would not have to be there to get it, but I need to look into that, because FI can't usually get away from the office during lunch. I think ours is $16 with our certificate from PMC, but it would be $26 without.

See, our Provincial Marriage Certificates cost another 65 bucks (90 if we want it rushed) on top of our original 100.
  • edited March 2015
    thisismynickname said:$60 in Cook County, IL plus $30 for the marriage certificate after the fact so you can change your legal name if so inclined. 
    I'll also point out I was highly disappointed because acquaintances of mine posted their marriage license as a picture on FB and it was beautiful- fancy script and whatnot. Not sure what county they were in. Then I got my Cook County one which was plain and boring.  Knowing that the signed license gets filed anyway, making it pretty is pointless anyway, but I was just surprised. 

You can pay extra for a fancy schmancy certificate. They had a bunch of different styles ina a binder.
    I think you could even get big poster sized ones. Who would want to frame and hang up their marriage certificate and why?

EDITed because I was wrong about the bolded. But you can get one of ten commemorative designs for a low price of $65!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Pittsburgh, PA $80 cash only
  • In Cook County, IL, it was $60, I believe, 

yup, plus $8 for every certified copy you need.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • blabla89 said:

It never occurred to me that both people would not have to be there to get it, but I need to look into that, because FI can't usually get away from the office during lunch. I think ours is $16 with our certificate from PMC, but it would be $26 without.

Make sure they're actually open! I find a lot of government offices close from 12-1 (or sometime thereabouts) for lunch. 

• We paid $40. 
  • blabla89 said:

Make sure they're actually open! I find a lot of government offices close from 12-1 (or sometime thereabouts) for lunch. 

Also see if there's evening hours! H and I couldn't both make it to the county clerk's office so we went to the tiny town office the next town over instead. They had one night a week where they were open from 6 to 8 pm. The woman even offered to come out to our house so we didn't have to drive out there! I hate most of small town living but that was pretty sweet.
  • I want to say ours for Baltimore City was $85, cash only.  The cash only was fun to find out when we were next in line.  We didn't realize this so H had to run to an ATM to get money out.  30 minutes later I called him and asked him what was taking so long.  Apparently the strip on the back of his ATM card was worn down so he had to go to different ATMs to find one that would accept his card.  And both of us didn't have to be there but I made H come with me because I hate driving in the city.

• blabla89 said:

See, our Provincial Marriage Certificates cost another 65 bucks (90 if we want it rushed) on top of our original 100.
    PMC as in pre-marital counseling. My county gives a slight discount on the marriage licenses for couples who have gone through counseling. What's a Provincial Marriage Certificate?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 35, but depending on where in MA you get it, it can range from 25-60 I think. Each certified copy of the marriage certificate is 10 dollars.

• They just upped ours from $50 to $65, cash only... Certified copies only $2 though
  • blabla89 said:

blabla89 said:

PMC as in pre-marital counseling. My county gives a slight discount on the marriage licenses for couples who have gone through counseling. What's a Provincial Marriage Certificate?
    ... Now I feel dumb lol. I misread your post. A Provincial Marriage Certificate is what we apply for after our Marriage licenses are filed. We need a Provincial Marriage Certificate to prove we're married so we can change our name and stuff.
  • Dh and I waited until the Monday before our wedding (which happened to be like 3 days before Christmas) to go get our marriage license. We both had to be there and we had to go to the county we lived in to get it. That made it really hard because we both work an hour from our  county and then 20 minutes more the the Register of Deeds. 

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ours was $50.
  • Dupage county, IL is $35 in cash, credit, or check. I feel spoiled now. But we both must appear with valid proof of our age. Is that normal? I guess I never really thought of 14 year olds appearing at the court house for that to be on their site..
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • MadHops21 said:

Dupage county, IL is $35 in cash, credit, or check. I feel spoiled now. But we both must appear with valid proof of our age. Is that normal? I guess I never really thought of 14 year olds appearing at the court house for that to be on their site..

I bet stranger things have happened. 

I live in DuPage county! 
  • $60 in Cook County, IL plus $30 for the marriage certificate after the fact so you can change your legal name if so inclined. 

Our Cook County license was $60 as well.

I still haven't gotten a copy. I didn't change my name so I saw no point. Maybe we should, just to make sure we're actually legal. (We wouldn't question it but my aunt officiated it a few months after officiating my uncles' marriage in Cook County. She couldn't remember for sure but she thought ours looked different.)

That would justify a do-over, right?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MadHops21 said:

Dupage county, IL is $35 in cash, credit, or check. I feel spoiled now. But we both must appear with valid proof of our age. Is that normal? I guess I never really thought of 14 year olds appearing at the court house for that to be on their site..

I bet stranger things have happened. 

I live in DuPage county! 
    Me too!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MadHops21 said:

My county makes you bring an official birth certificate! (As in, hospital "certificates of live birth" don't count. I don't even know whether my birth certificate is "official.") BUREAUCRACY!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Ours was $50.  Looks like prices have gone up for this year.  It's $65 in our county now.
  • MadHops21 said:

My county makes you bring an official birth certificate! (As in, hospital "certificates of live birth" don't count. I don't even know whether my birth certificate is "official.") BUREAUCRACY!

Yup, we had to both bring original or certified copies of our birth certificates. It was a pain in the ass for me because I don't know where my original birth certificate is. I had to pay $60 to get a certified copy by mail because I also don't live in town I was born. I then had to send in a notarized letter stating that I only have a PO Box (I can't get mail delivered to my house) to prove that I wasn't trying to steal someone's identity. Giant pain in the ass. Luckily getting our marriage license was very, very easy after that.
  • MadHops21 said:

H had to bring a proof of age for each of us (birth certificate or passport) but there was no one to actually prove that he ended up marrying the same person. I actually think he said nobody even checked them. Totally could have stolen someone else's identity and had a scam wedding, to justify my later do-over.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards