Chit Chat

Poll: How much did your marriage license cost?

Re: Poll: How much did your marriage license cost?

• $20.   Says if you're out of state then it is $62.  $110 seems crazy
  • $60 in Cook County, IL plus $30 for the marriage certificate after the fact so you can change your legal name if so inclined. 

I'll also point out I was highly disappointed because acquaintances of mine posted their marriage license as a picture on FB and it was beautiful- fancy script and whatnot. Not sure what county they were in. Then I got my Cook County one which was plain and boring.  Knowing that the signed license gets filed anyway, making it pretty is pointless anyway, but I was just surprised. 
    I got one of these from Lake County.

I think we paid $30
  • Ours would have been $65, but we did premarital counseling through our church (for free) so we only had to pay like $18.

I took every official document I could get my hands on with us, and they ended up only asking for our drivers licenses.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I did not have to pay for my marriage license. However, I did have to pay for all of the paperwork required to fill out the intent to marry form required by the Australian government (certified copies of our birth certs and divorce decrees). Then, we had to pay for the postage to send it overseas. We then had to pay to have the celebrant register our marriage after our ceremony (apparently you can very easily have a PPD in Queensland because they issue commemorative marriage certs as well, which are pretty and not legally binding) and then apply for our marriage certificate after we returned to the US. It was $42AUD.

• $74.00 for the license at the County Probate Judge's Office, in my home county. In the county we're actually getting married in, it's $43.00. Cash or check only, both parties have to be present and have valid photo ID, and it takes 20 minutes to process.

Maybe we'll be getting our marriage license in the county we're getting married. Hmm.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • LadyMillilLadyMillil member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

MadHops21 said:

Dupage county, IL is $35 in cash, credit, or check. I feel spoiled now. But we both must appear with valid proof of our age. Is that normal? I guess I never really thought of 14 year olds appearing at the court house for that to be on their site..

My county makes you bring an official birth certificate! (As in, hospital "certificates of live birth" don't count. I don't even know whether my birth certificate is "official.") BUREAUCRACY!

H had to bring a proof of age for each of us (birth certificate or passport)
    but there was no one to actually prove that he ended up marrying the same person. I actually think he said nobody even checked them. Totally could have stolen someone else's identity and had a scam wedding, to justify my later do-over.
    ETA BOX BOX BOX BOX

$50 in rural Ontario. It would have been $75 in the city. 

Only one person needed to go in person. The only ID they required was birth certificate. No photo ID. It seemed really odd to me.

Anniversary
  • I think ours was $75, cash only. Each county in PA has a different price though. And some counties charge extra for self-uniting licenses. We both had to be there in person. 

They asked us the birth place for each of our parents. I actually didn't know 100% for my parents. Thankfully I guessed right.
  • I couldn't remember so I just looked it up....$28. NJ. Compared to what others pay, I'm pretty surprised it's so cheap for this state. I guess we more than make up for it in other ways. Haha.
  • Here in San Diego ours will be $70.  For some reason I expected it to be more.  They recommend bringing certified copies of the birth certificates, but they aren't required.  Which means I probably need to start looking into getting certified copies of those.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Did or does your marriage license say bride and groom or Party A and Party B? Ours said Party A (me) Party B (my husband).

Because Massachusetts allows gay marriage, obviously they can't use hetero normative language. Just curious how other states do it?

• Did or does your marriage license say bride and groom or Party A and Party B? Ours said Party A (me) Party B (my husband).

Because Massachusetts allows gay marriage, obviously they can't use hetero normative language. Just curious how other states do it?
    I filled out the pre-application yesterday for us for Nevada, and it says "Party A" and "Party B".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • False advertising! I wanted to click on a poll option :(

$50
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Here it is $150.
  • False advertising! I wanted to click on a poll option :(

$50
    Dude, I went to do it that way but then realized--what would I even put for the options? A range? But I don't want to know if people were charged <$20 or $75-$100. I WANT SPECIFICS! ;)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • edited March 2015

False advertising! I wanted to click on a poll option :(

$50
    Dude, I went to do it that way but then realized--what would I even put for the options? A range? But I don't want to know if people were charged <$20 or $75-$100. I WANT SPECIFICS! ;)
    Cheap (explain in your post)
    Too Damn Much! (detail in your post)
    SS (tell us about your oh so special situation in your post)
    ETA - I like turtles (bc all PK poll's must contain a turtle option)

FIFY :mrgreen:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• $45 where I'm getting married.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I think @mikenberger already said Iowa is $35... I think it's the same for all counties. We're going to apply for our's on Thursday morning and I think we can pick it up and have it be valid 3 or 4 business days later.
  • $85 for a public marriage license in L.A. County, and $90 for a confidential marriage license...which confused me.  WTF is a confidential marriage license? So you can be secretly married?  It's like they're asking for PPDs!  Apparently you don't even need a witness for the confidential marriage certificate. 

• levioosa said:

$85 for a public marriage license in L.A. County, and $90 for a confidential marriage license...which confused me.  WTF is a confidential marriage license? So you can be secretly married?  It's like they're asking for PPDs!  Apparently you don't even need a witness for the confidential marriage certificate. 

For celebrities, I'm sure.

• Ours will be $110 in a county of WI.
  • Puerto Rico is $20 for the legal paper but you also need to pay for the VDRL lab tests which can be like $10-$40 each so ends up being a bit more

• JoanE2012 said:

I couldn't remember so I just looked it up....$28. NJ. Compared to what others pay, I'm pretty surprised it's so cheap for this state. I guess we more than make up for it in other ways. Haha.

Yep, $28 seems pretty reasonable compared to a lot of places! We were allowed to pay via cash, check, or credit card for ours. Both parties had to be present, along with a witness. Certified copies of the marriage certificate are available at $25 for the first and $5 for each additional ordered at the same time.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• $60 in Hawaii. Not sure about Alberta. I think we only needed ID and to fill out the form, but we did have to go to the Dept. of Health to get it. I think they wanted more if you were divorced (decree of divorce and stuff like that), but it was easy for first timers like us

• $93 in Florida without the approved premarital counseling...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• $100 in Manitoba, Canada for the marriage license.
    Then it's another $30 for the actual marriage certificate/document.

• I haven't gotten married yet but it will be $50. It's $100 if neither person is a Delaware resident. Both of us have to go in person and fill it out but apparently you are able to apply online. So either both of you need to go in or neither. No in between!

Did anyone need a blood test? You don't need one here but I'm just curious if anyone here needed to do one. I know only a few places still do that.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ours was $100 for BC. The commissioner also has a flat rate for our province, plus a specific travel fee she can charge. Since our officiant also was the sole person to issue licenses in the area, we were charged $200 for the combination.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I should add that we received a copy of the license as part of the $100 fee, so I was able to start the name change process within a few weeks.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I just looked, and it's $115 in the county I'm in in Wisconsin. I hadn't gotten as far as looking at that yet-- talk about sticker shock!
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You ladies have it easy! $96 in the state of Florida. You can get a discount of $60 if you get 4 hours of PMC, but PMC is more than that usually. And both need to be at the court house when you get it.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards