Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Help Deciding Between 2 People for Hair and Make-Up

I'm hoping someone here on the Knot can help me out. I have two people I've inquired about for hair and makeup-up and I need to get back to them soon on a decision. Some information about my wedding, the wedding ceremony is at 2pm, but we would need be done by 1pm getting ready. I have four bridesmaids, all four want their hair done and 3 of 4 want make-up, also my mom wants just make-up. I asked all of them separately and the average budget for them seemed to be nothing over $100.

Option one: Someone who is self-employed and charges per services (example, bridesmaids hair is $40 and $20 for make-up). She will travel to the hotel were getting ready at. My only worry is the time factor with all of us getting done on time and how early we would have to start. Shassuretold me she's worked with wedding parties my size before and bigger.

Option two: A salon will travel to us as well and provide two people (one to do hair and the other for make-up). They are charging $109 per hour. My concerns here are it will be $150-$200 more overall, I'm not sure how to break down the cost since it would be by hour, and how many hours it would take since they can only really estimate.

Any advice would be helpful so I can reach a decision soon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help Deciding Between 2 People for Hair and Make-Up

• Options
    Who's work do you prefer? Option One does not have an assistant I'm assuming. Do they have reviews on their page? Did anyone mention an issue with time? Look around on their FB page as well and see if anyone has anything negative. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I've never heard of a salon charging per hour... Is this normal? This to me makes it seem like they can take their sweet time getting everyone ready and get paid more.
  • Options
    hellohkb said:

Who's work do you prefer? Option One does not have an assistant I'm assuming. Do they have reviews on their page? Did anyone mention an issue with time? Look around on their FB page as well and see if anyone has anything negative. 

Not sure as I do not know either. The salon I would have to ask which people they are sending. I know they have profiles on their website but not sure If they show their work. The other has a Facebook page with some pictures. I found her through local Facebook groups for wedding stuff, she was recommended by a few people. I'll have to look at reviews. No one mentioned an issue. I know fi's sister (one of my bridesmaids) was trying to break the time out for me and seemed to think it would be fine.
    kikilamp said:

I've never heard of a salon charging per hour... Is this normal? This to me makes it seem like they can take their sweet time getting everyone ready and get paid more.

Not sure it was a package I found on their website. They call it traveling wedding package or something. That is also my worry.

I've been leaning towards option one. I was going to just go with her, but she raised her prices at the beginning of the year, however after now doing the math she still is cheaper. I guess I'm already planning on starting everything early that day anyways since I know I will probably get little to no sleep and I might have to decorate the reception hall the morning of before I start getting ready. I appreciate the input. If I missed anything else important, please let me know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've also never heard of a salon charging by hour.   But with the first one, unless you start really early, it still seems she is going to have a tough time doing 4 makeups and 4 hairstyles (plus yours, I'm assuming) in a reasonable time.

Have you gotten any trials to see who you like better for yourself?  I'd make sure to do that!  That could influence your decision.
  • Options
    Going straight through a salon seems to always cost more.  You also have to add in tip, which you can cover or ask your bridesmaids to cover.  I would go for a trial with the first option.  You will for sure have enough time.  My ceremony is at 11:30am, and I have myself 5 bridesmaids, 2 mothers, and a flower girl.  We will all be finished by 8:30am (but we are starting around 5am I think) and she is bringing an assistant.  Make sure she is willing to come early.  Also, see if you can find reviews on the first person.
  • Options

Not sure as I do not know either. The salon I would have to ask which people they are sending. I know they have profiles on their website but not sure If they show their work. The other has a Facebook page with some pictures. I found her through local Facebook groups for wedding stuff, she was recommended by a few people. I'll have to look at reviews. No one mentioned an issue. I know fi's sister (one of my bridesmaids) was trying to break the time out for me and seemed to think it would be fine.

Not sure it was a package I found on their website. They call it traveling wedding package or something.
    That is also my worry.

I've been leaning towards option one. I was going to just go with her, but she raised her prices at the beginning of the year, however after now doing the math she still is cheaper. I guess I'm already planning on starting everything early that day anyways since I know I will probably get little to no sleep and I might have to decorate the reception hall the morning of before I start getting ready. I appreciate the input. If I missed anything else important, please let me know.

$60 a person for hair and make up is really reasonable, that right there I would go for. 

And if that's just a package you found on the website you should call and check. I was looking around for prices too and found one place that charged per person, and then charged extra per hour for going to the house.
  • Options
    klk111415 said:

Going straight through a salon seems to always cost more.  You also have to add in tip, which you can cover or ask your bridesmaids to cover.  I would go for a trial with the first option.  You will for sure have enough time.  My ceremony is at 11:30am, and I have myself 5 bridesmaids, 2 mothers, and a flower girl.  We will all be finished by 8:30am (but we are starting around 5am I think) and she is bringing an assistant.  Make sure she is willing to come early.  Also, see if you can find reviews on the first person.

And  DO NOT ask your bridesmaids to tip, if you require them to have their hair done by someone you choose, then you are paying for all of this, you cover all the costs- the bridesmaids shouldn't be forking out money unless they're having this done themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards