Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Adding Straps to My Dress

Hey guys, I recently purchased the attached dress and love everything about it, except I really want to add straps to it. Any ideas on what kind or where to buy straps? Any help is appreciated!

Re: Adding Straps to My Dress

• Options
    I would ask a reputable seamstress. I think something done by someone not expirienced could end up looking tragic. 
  • Options
    Eek. Makes me nervous. I don't really know what would look best. Lace straps? Beaded? Spaghetti? The lady at the bridal salon made it sound like they add straps all the time.
  • Options
    My dress is similar to yours on the bottom and also strapless. I want something on my shoulders so my seamstress suggested using some of the extra material from the bottom to make a "strap" similar to the picture below. Look around the internet for dresses that have straps similar to the look you want and ask the seamstress if its doable and would look right with your dress. 

adding sleeves to a strapless dress - Google Search
  • Options
    I would suggest the same thing as the person above, I've had a seamstress add a halter strap by using some of the bottom of the inner slit to create the strap, she just sewed it into the inside of the neckline and it went perfectly. Some shops also sell little "add-ons" that can be added to dresses, including straps.
  • Options
    You could have a seamstress make straps out of material from the bottom of the dress if you have to have it hemmed: http://www-static.weddingbee.com/pics/292524/image8.jpg

• Options
    The lace ones are cute...would have to make sure they match the lace on the dress. Thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    I also wanted some coverage, but loved my allure strapless dress.  Since I didn't want a train, I used the extra lace for "sleeves".  Looking back, I wish I made them tighter and less shaw like...but was happy with the dress and everyone thought the dress was originally made the way.

• Options

I also wanted some coverage, but loved my allure strapless dress.  Since I didn't want a train, I used the extra lace for "sleeves".  Looking back, I wish I made them tighter and less shaw like...but was happy with the dress and everyone thought the dress was originally made the way.

That's a good idea...do you have a picture of how your sleeves turned out? Would love to see an example of how they were attached. Thanks!
  • Options
    I've tried many times to upload a picture and it says it is uploading and nothing happens!  
  • Options
    not the same dress but stock photo of my dress and me in my actual dress day of
  • Options
    Finally got the photos to upload...here is my allure dress with "sleeves" made from the train.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards