Not Engaged Yet
Options

Phone Interview...Tips? UPDATE IN COMMENTS

bride2b71614bride2b71614 member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited April 2015 in Not Engaged Yet
Hi everyone!

So I applied for my dream job a month ago, and I didn't think they'd ever get back to me. Well, they contacted me via email, and we have a phone interview set up for Wednesday at 4. I'm amped. 

The thing is, I've never had a phone interview before, and I could use some tips!

For those of you who had phone interviews:
-What did you do to prepare?
-Did you find yourself to be more nervous or less nervous?
-Did you find it harder to sell your skill set over the phone?
-What advice would you give someone who is in my position?

Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Re: Phone Interview...Tips? UPDATE IN COMMENTS

• Options
    I wish I had some tips for you, but Ive never had a phone interview! 

So I'll just say good luck instead!
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    I've talked to people about grad school over the phone but not an interview. To be honest, I feel like I shine better in person than over the phone, so I was more nervous. The way I prepared was to have a guideline "outline" of questions I would ask. It's not a strict script but it helped me just in case I drew a blank. Good luck!
  • Options
    @cu97tiger has great advice! The only things I would add are to have your resume/ any supporting documents about the company on hand, right in front of you, and of course to do your best to enunciate-- if you know that you have a tendency to rush, or are difficult to understand on the phone (I have a lot of friends who are impossible to hear over the phone!) then you should also speak up (louder than you think you should!) and slow down (slower than you think you should!) .  

The phone interviews I have had were just to get an initial feel for me, gauge interest, etc. So, less in depth than normal interviews, more... "is it worth it to spend time doing an in person interview with this lady?" So the questions were more basic, and the interviews almost felt like informational interviews for my benefit.  

The thing that made me most nervous about the interviews was... do I call them, or will they call me? Usually it was them calling me, but they were five minutes late. So I'm sitting there staring at the clock thinking "SHIT. Was I supposed to call???? And now I'm late??" All of which would have been avoidable if my initial email correspondence had had more pointed/ clear questions to confirm the interview. 

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I am graduating in a few weeks so if I manage to snag an actual interview, and maybe a job? I'd be a happy camper!

@lilacck28, luckily they were the ones who arranged the time and the specification, so I'm not too freaked out about that. I am going to enunciate, and keep in mind to speak slowly.

@cu97tiger I am definitely taking your advice on the quiet area thing. In my car, where I get reception, tested multiple times. No Emmett, no FI, no cat, or crazy neighbors beagle who cannot seem to stop barking! I plan on having notes with me, and a copy of my resume as well.

I'm hoping this works out!
  • Options
    For phone interviews - I've normally found them to be more of 'finding out sessions' than actual interviews.  The interviewer asks me some of the basic interview questions and offers up more information about the job.  I've had several phone interviews - most of them have been with HR only - so they are only trying to find out if you're a good fit for the company if this is the case (The whole 'how much are you making/looking to make' and 'why do you feel you're a good fit' and 'what do you know about the company - type questions).

I did have 1 with the actual hiring manager, basically it was for a phone support position when I was just starting out.  Since it was for a phone support, they wanted to see how I handled myself on the phones and how well I could communicate in a non-face-to-face manner.

With that said - prepare the same way.  Do you know who you will be interviewing with?  If so - direct your questions towards that person's position (the HR person probably will not know the intricate details of the job).

Other things:
    Make sure your phone is charged
    Make sure you're in an area that gets good reception
    Find a place that will be quite and void of distractions (no dogs barking or babies crying or television in the background)
    Have your resume in front of you as well as a place to take notes
    Do not use speakerphone if at all possible
    Be yourself!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Agree with everything above. Typically it's very high level stuff with a member of HR, but I would still prepare for some more detailed questions, just in case. For example, have some scenarios ready for times you demonstrated various skills/qualities that would be helpful on the job. Those are always hard for me to think of on the fly.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Options

I have been doing HR for many years. The best thing people could do for me when I was on the phone with them was to speak with confidence in their answers and keep them to the point. I found that often times in phone interviews people would get distracted or something and would ramble a long answer. The questions are a little more basic and don't need much thought, at least the ones I would ask. It was a simple screen for me to get a better idea of their skillset to see if they would be a good candidate for the role itself. If they were, I would call them in for a direct interview and gauge them a little more on a professional and personal level and ask tougher questions.

Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
  • Options
    Smile while you talk.  You can hear the difference in someone's voice!

I will have a coin or something to play with while I talk.  It helps keep me focused and directs nervous energy away.  Maybe it's all mental, but it works for me!
  • Options
    Above advice from PPs is great. 

-What did you do to prepare?  Same thing I did for an in person interview.  Researched the company, the job and mentally prepared myself to tailor my resume experiences/stories to the position.

-Did you find yourself to be more nervous or less nervous? Less nervous

-Did you find it harder to sell your skill set over the phone?  A little, I shine in person better I think.  I also find it easier to gauge people in person which is helpful in tailoring my responses to questions.

-What advice would you give someone who is in my position? Relax.  A phone interview is usually just a first interview (though I've had two phone interviews with hiring managers on two occasions).  One of the benefits of phone interviews is the other party can't see you obviously so I get up and walk around the room if I'm getting flustered.  I also write down a lot more notes/points I want to bring up about my experiences because no one is there to see me check my notes.  Good luck!
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    -What did you do to prepare?
    Like PP's, said, do your research first just as you would for any other interview. You may not need the information, but it MAY be helpful to be able to easily reference company values in relation to your own personal strengths and abilities. Or know a general history of the company or the team or whatever.
    -Did you find yourself to be more nervous or less nervous?
    Maybe more nervous/equally as nervous. It's important to take a deep breath, and do whatever you need to do to feel confident and prepared. Dress as if you're in an actual interview, choose a quiet space where you won't be disturbed. Personally, I like to be free to walk around on a conversation like that. The movement helps to relieve tension for me....so maybe do it in a space you can pace in or at least have room to move around.
    -Did you find it harder to sell your skill set over the phone?
    No, not really. Speak with confidence, smile, make eye contact with something in front of you. All of these things will show in your tone, which will back up your words. 
    -What advice would you give someone who is in my position?
    Basically all of the above. Talk slowly, don't be afraid to pause, don't interrupt the person talking. Give them an opportunity to finish their thought before you answer, it's ok for there to be a brief pause in between whatever they say and your responses. Just remember to take your time.

• Options
    Everyone has given fantastic advice. I've done all of the above in phone interviews, but I also like to have a computer/laptop/tablet nearby with the company's webpage already up so I can reference specific things that stood out to me. For example, my current job did a phone interview as my first interview, and they had their annual report on the website. I pulled it up and made sure to reference it while on the interview. It's not necessary to do this, but it can be nice to have a visual cue to remember to bring up certain points about the company. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    The interview isn't being conducted by an HR representative. It's with the head of the adoptions department. She's usually out in the field working with kiddos and their families.

@eilis1228 I love your idea but Emmett spilled milk all over my laptop today! Needless to say I'm going to use all of these suggestions!
  • Options
    So I just had my interview...I couldn't get a read. We didn't set up a time to complete a face to face meeting so I'm guessing it didn't go well, but she said she'd get back to me. I have no idea
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @bride2b71614 It's ok if you didn't set up a face to face right away. Sometimes it takes them a few days to complete other interviews and coordinate dates. Send your contact an email thanking her for the opportunity and don't forget to follow up about a face to face meeting in the email.

• Options

So I just had my interview...I couldn't get a read. We didn't set up a time to complete a face to face meeting so I'm guessing it didn't go well, but she said she'd get back to me. I have no idea

I've had a couple of phone interviews and never had them set up a face-to-face interview right away. Don't lose hope just because of that.

Sending lots of good job vibes your way!!

• Options
    We didn't immediately set up a face-to-face interview for my current position, and it all worked out. :) Just send a thank you note via email tomorrow, and hopefully sometime next week they'll be in touch.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Did you happen to ask what the next step in the process was (one of my favorite questions interviews, just to keep me in the loop on when I should expect to hear back if things are going great)?

Like already stated, I wouldn't worry too much about not setting up further steps.  She probably has other interviews and wanted to go from there.  They don't want to flood a hiring manager with 100 people that did OK or better on phone interviews.

Make sure you got her your thank you letter if you haven't already.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards